E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AM/FM reception

Old 03-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

The reception on my premium sound system is poor.

When it is on AM there is a crackling after words are spoken.

At first I though it was only the AM, but now I am getting them same thing on some of the FM stations as well.

Is anyone getting this problem?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 AM
richard

I agree> I live in NYC an area that is notorious for poor reception especially on the FM band. The reception on my 1998 528 was superior; FMstations, especially low powered university affiliated stations that came in clearly without any break up or distortion now float in and out and flutter. AM is accompanied by almost constant static; this on the two most powerful stations in the area 880 and 1010.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Are you guys going to report it? I think it should be fixed. There's no excuse for that. I had a rental car not long ago (a cheapie Dodge Neon) and the AM/FM radior reception was phenominal (better than the reception in my Porsche Boxster).

For such an expensive car, that is just not acceptable.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

Damn! My previous car (Merc SLK) had exactly the same problem on AM when the engine was running. I'd hoped I was going to escape it. How difficult can it be??
Old 03-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

I drove to my dealer yesterday and had his listen to it. I am getting it scheduled for service ASAP.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Guest_dv8ed

yes i agree with everyone here... I am listening to 570 KLAC my local Lakers station there is alot of background whining noise. My Lexus IS300 has perfect AM reception... my BMW 525i had really bad AM reception... not just AM.. my FM is a little weak as well.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Members

Guys, I live in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia and I have the same exact problem. Only two FM channels are crystal clear because they are the local ones, as for neighboring Gulf countries and nearby stations I have noticed a very very poor reception. I cannot listen to my favorite radio station anymore.
I went to service and they told me it might be the glass antenna, ok so what I paid all that and that's it. I used to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee before getting my 530 and that reception was great, not to mention that I don't see this problem with other cars. Of course they told me that we will check if it is a software issue and we'll get back to you. But they never did.
Now that I?m sure that this is major, I will hunt them down until this problem gets resolved. I would have to confess, I can be a real a$$ when it comes to dealerships.
Anyway guys, keep me posted and I will see what they have to say here. We must find a solution this problem.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:26 AM
Tak
Members

My FM reception is fine, but my AM reception is constant statice. This is a widespread problem, and we need to continually beat on BMW until they fix it. My dealer told me that the 7 series has a similar problem, and that BMW has just developed new programming to address the problem. He expects a remedy for the E60 to come eventually. It's pretty ridiculous that BMW ca pump all this new technology into their cars, but suddenly they can't offer a decent radio.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

I am beating on them twice a day.

I think they hate me by now.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>
The customer from hell has come to BMW and is here to stay until the car is perfect!!!
</span>
Old 03-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Guest_MrMack

Folks,

I'm in Dallas and have the same issues you're referencing. It's driving me absolutely nuts since my GS300 had such wonderful reception. If any of you find dealer who is able to isolate the problem and find a resolution, please let me know.

Mr Mack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AM/FM reception