E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ordering new 535d Sport Saloon (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='458519' date='Aug 14 2007, 04:35 AM
Wow thats 50k, are you not interested in a M5 2nd hand, thats with in the price?
RRP is 50k, but I'm getting an ?8k+ discount so it's more like ?42k. I thought about an M5, but it's not what I want. In the UK with our rubbish weather, when can you use power like that without skidding off the road and dying! Other arguments are that it would be a non LCI car (I already have a 2006 530d) so wouldn't feel like a new car. Plus, I like new cars. I like knowing I can pick my own spec 100%, that it comes with 0 miles, that I have a full 3 years warranty on it, and I know the full history. I really don't fancy the idea of buying a 2.5 year old M5 that's been ragged to death (who buys one and _doesn't_ do that??), has little warranty left, and will end up being very very expensive to run and maintain. Don't get me wrong, I know I get ripped off buying brand new cars, but somebody has to do it

Ultimately though, the M5 just isn't "me". I even wonder if the 535d Sport with 18 Run Flats will be too sporty and uncomfortable for me, even with the comfort seat upgrade. I seriously don't think I would ever want an M5, even if money wasn't an issue. I'd go for a Bentley GT, or have a Ferrari as a 2nd car.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by fastboyuk' post='458492' date='Aug 14 2007, 09:23 AM
Bardel, I ordered online through Carfile.net. The dealer they use is in Southend. I was offered a price within ?1,000 of this price by my local dealer, but I quite like the idea of picking the car up at the other end of the country. I've done it before and it's a great way to get used to a new car, with a long run like that.
That must be why the Southend dealer in question came reasonably close to the online price I'd researched before hand then! They are obviously more acceptable to doing deals than some others.

What spec / deal did you get? Maybe I don't wanna know . PM if you prefer.

Barry
Old 08-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Members

It's a fantastic spec. mate.

The only big options I didn't go for were Comfort Seats and Dynamic Drive. Comfort Seats are I'm sure really comfortable, but I tried normal seats in a 520d M Sport and they seemed excellent. Also, I thought if I go for Dynamic Drive, it's only going to give me a false sense of security and encourage me to drive even more mentally than I already do.

Spec. is below. Let me know what you think. If there's anything really obvious, I can still hopefully add it in...

Colour: Deep Sea Blue

Rear Side Airbags,
High Beam Assist,
Metallic paint
M Rear Spoiler
Active Cruise Control
BMW Assist
Interior Light Pack
Head Up Display
Dakota Leather
Media Pack
Heated Front Seats
Space Saver Spare Wheel
DAB
Individual Audio System
Sunroof
Visibility Pack
Heated Rear Seats
BMW Online
Electric Rear Sunblind
Through Load Facility
Electric Front Seats
TV Function
Electric Fold Mirrors
High gloss black interior trim
USB Interface
Sport Function on gearbox with S/W mounted gearshift paddles
19' Wheels

Total price was ?48,626, Discounted from ?55,572. Not a bad deal I reckon
Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Personally I would recommend the comfort seats (I know you're specifically mentioned them already though). You are paying for the electric seats, the comfort seats aren't that much more, but they are SO much better. It is actually one of the main reasons I am swapping the 530d for the 535d. Having driven my wife's E70 X5 with comfort seats, getting back in the E60 just feels so "cheap" !!!. I would at least say try and sit in a car with comfort seats before making the decision. The main thing is that you don't adjust comfort seats in the same was as you do with normal car seats. In normal seats, you will find that the top half of your back, shoulders and head do not touch the seats. In comfort seats, because the headrest and top half of the seat are all separately adjustable, you can get the seat to support you all the way up. Once you've set them properly, it feels like sitting in an extremely comfortable leather armchair, and not a car. The different this makes on long journies is just amazing and your back and neck will thank you in years to come...!! But, like you say, the ride will be less "sporty" with the comfort seats.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='458556' date='Aug 14 2007, 08:51 AM
Personally I would recommend the comfort seats (I know you're specifically mentioned them already though). You are paying for the electric seats, the comfort seats aren't that much more, but they are SO much better. It is actually one of the main reasons I am swapping the 530d for the 535d. Having driven my wife's E70 X5 with comfort seats, getting back in the E60 just feels so "cheap" !!!. I would at least say try and sit in a car with comfort seats before making the decision. The main thing is that you don't adjust comfort seats in the same was as you do with normal car seats. In normal seats, you will find that the top half of your back, shoulders and head do not touch the seats. In comfort seats, because the headrest and top half of the seat are all separately adjustable, you can get the seat to support you all the way up. Once you've set them properly, it feels like sitting in an extremely comfortable leather armchair, and not a car. The different this makes on long journies is just amazing and your back and neck will thank you in years to come...!! But, like you say, the ride will be less "sporty" with the comfort seats.

I think also if i spec. Comfort Seats, I'll end up speccing Lumbar Support and Active Seat Ventilation.... Next thing I'll be above 50K!

Anyway, this gives me an excuse to get a new one in 2010 when the new model is released!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fastboyuk' post='458557' date='Aug 14 2007, 07:55 AM
I think also if i spec. Comfort Seats, I'll end up speccing Lumbar Support and Active Seat Ventilation.... Next thing I'll be above 50K!

Anyway, this gives me an excuse to get a new one in 2010 when the new model is released!
The comfort seats have lumbar support, leg support, and just about every type of support you can imagine, no need to spec separately. I thought about active seat ventilation too, but didn't think that it was worthwhile with our climate. Aircon and windows down can tackle the UK summer. Infact if this year is anything to go by, windows up, heater on full, heated seats and a jumper can tackle the UK summer...

Ah yes, the F10, I too am already thinking about that!!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='458560' date='Aug 14 2007, 09:01 AM
The comfort seats have lumbar support, leg support, and just about every type of support you can imagine, no need to spec separately. I thought about active seat ventilation too, but didn't think that it was worthwhile with our climate. Aircon and windows down can tackle the UK summer. Infact if this year is anything to go by, windows up, heater on full, heated seats and a jumper can tackle the UK summer...

Ah yes, the F10, I too am already thinking about that!!

Arrgh!!!!!!

I. HATE. THIS. FORUM

Just added Comfort Seats to my order...

I hope you are all happy with yourselves
Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

well yeh thast right i suppose,my friend Chima rented a M5 from boys toys in Mitcham, had it for 1 week, and did 147 miles, he drove it hard.

147 MILES IN A FULL TANK, Thats what you got to live with when you get the M5, i really wanted one, but everyday i get told, that it becomes aburden unless you are minted.

I think il stick with 530d, for now anyway. Will prob keep this until the F10, F11 come out. To know what this is click onto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_F10
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fastboyuk' post='458583' date='Aug 14 2007, 09:03 AM
Arrgh!!!!!!

I. HATE. THIS. FORUM

Just added Comfort Seats to my order...

I hope you are all happy with yourselves
LOL ... well if it wasn't for irmclarke and this forum (see first post in this thread) I wouldn't have even been thinking about the 535d either. So yes, who would like to join me in putting together a legal case against E60.net for ... erm ... forced purchasing of BMWs ?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

You guys don't want to hear this but I have had my 535d M Sport for about 8 weeks now.

4500 miles of fun with the sports gear box and enjoying every mile.

I popped along to DMS today and they had a little play and now the car absolutely goes like a rocket......

Approx 340bhp and millions of those torque thingies! That said in the wet today it was wheel spinning in 1st, 2nd and 3rd when leaving roundabouts!

I guarantee you will love the 535d, run it in and get it chipped............you know it makes sense

Quick Reply: Ordering new 535d Sport Saloon (UK)