E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil life reset will not work please read

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60
Default update problem solved

so i finally got under the car today to change oil and i was surprised to see that the oil level sensor wires had been severed,,,, at first i thought it was a rat or somthing that got in the undercarriage coffin but that was the only wire that was severed.... i then remembered that i had been to the stealership right after i bought the car to have a lower control arm replaced,, they sold it to me with a bad bushing.... im not a dummy...lol but i did mange to salvage the connector and it worked again... oh yea if you live in missouri stay away from suntrup bmw for service ....check out the pics
Attached Thumbnails oil life reset will not work please read-20131216_120730.jpg   oil life reset will not work please read-20131216_123149.jpg   oil life reset will not work please read-20131216_131604.jpg   oil life reset will not work please read-20131216_134015.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jasondomina (08-12-2023)
Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Did you even read my thread that everyone was pointing you towards? Ha. It took me awhile to track mine down. My mechanic said it looked like a rat chewed into it. Mine mysteriously acted up right after taking it to the stealership also.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60

Originally Posted by donpb
Did you even read my thread that everyone was pointing you towards? Ha. It took me awhile to track mine down. My mechanic said it looked like a rat chewed into it. Mine mysteriously acted up right after taking it to the stealership also.
yea ive read your thread multiple times thats what got my thinking about it..... im in the ARMY and really dont have a lot of personal time lol. when i first looked at the wiring i did to think it was a rat that gnawed through the wires but after looking at the wires really close.. i came to the conclusion that it was a razor blade or box cutter that sliced the wires,,, the marks were just to clean to be chewed through they were literally sliced through... i think its almost common practice for the stealership todo so that have to come back either because u cant reset oil life or u burned the engine up due to incorrect oil level, i think its petty but they must do it oftern because they know it wont throw a code....also have u had any issues with your saftey gateway module///sgm or sim 93fc reserve energy low?

Last edited by noberryafterdingl; 12-23-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by noberryafterdingl
yea ive read your thread multiple times thats what got my thinking about it..... im in the ARMY and really dont have a lot of personal time lol. when i first looked at the wiring i did to think it was a rat that gnawed through the wires but after looking at the wires really close.. i came to the conclusion that it was a razor blade or box cutter that sliced the wires,,, the marks were just to clean to be chewed through they were literally sliced through... i think its almost common practice for the stealership todo so that have to come back either because u cant reset oil life or u burned the engine up due to incorrect oil level, i think its petty but they must do it oftern because they know it wont throw a code....also have u had any issues with your saftey gateway module///sgm or sim 93fc reserve energy low?

I haven't been having any safety module issues at all. If the stealer can rig an oil sensor fault then I wonder how they get it to appear like a rat gnawed into it? I read about other people that said it looked like a rat gnawed into theirs also.

Last edited by donpb; 12-23-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:12 AM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 525d no Standheizung
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M57 (525d) 177hp
Default restting oil interval e60 impossible

Originally Posted by noberryafterdingl
i know there are several threads on this topic allready but... i cant get my oil life indicater to reset.... i have successfully reseted spark plugs and others items but the oil life will not reset... while depressing the trip odometer i can access the oil life reminder,, i get all the way to "reset" the mileage goes to ---- then the old mileage reappears. ive done it 15 time to no avail.... please give me some insight,,,, i also reset the trip mileage before continuing
Just had the same problem. Found out this can happen if you have driven more then 300.000 km's (my problem occured first at 360.000) Seems to be a software bug. With the appropriate software the dealer can delete the total line for oil service. ( You attach the old fashioned paper card in your car with the milage for next oil change) Perhaps the software issue is solved in a newer release, My car is from 2004 and I didn't update the software in the last 10 years.
On Youtube there is a description on how to modify the software for deleting the oil notification.