5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   oil life reset will not work please read (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/oil-life-reset-will-not-work-please-read-132890/)

noberryafterdingl 05-11-2013 08:06 AM

oil life reset will not work please read

i know there are several threads on this topic allready but... i cant get my oil life indicater to reset.... i have successfully reseted spark plugs and others items but the oil life will not reset... while depressing the trip odometer i can access the oil life reminder,, i get all the way to "reset" the mileage goes to ---- then the old mileage reappears. ive done it 15 time to no avail.... please give me some insight,,,, i also reset the trip mileage before continuing

slo.e60 05-11-2013 02:18 PM

check out this thread,

Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?

posted by donpb on June 28, 2012, he too had problems resetting his oil change interval.

tonyb635 05-11-2013 02:26 PM

This guy had a sensor problem.
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...change-124528/

slo.e60 05-11-2013 02:43 PM

yes, which prohibited him from resetting his oil change interval.

there's lots of good info in that thread regarding the resetting procedure in general.

Allen 05-11-2013 07:01 PM

You may have some issue not related to the procedure...but when I was trying to find the procedure online (here and other places) I could not find that was correct for my '08 535i...they all had a step missing or incorrect info. It seems that there a lot of small differences in procedures/steps from model year to year. Anyway...I went through and wrote my own procedure specifically for a '08 535i...here it is:

1 - Get in car…close door…apply parking brake…put in neutral…insert the key in ignition…press and release Start button. This should illuminate the battery, oil and parking brake lights…but not start the car.

=> At any point in the following process…releasing the odometer reset button for about 10 seconds will abort the process.

2 - Press and hold the odometer reset button…at about 2 seconds…a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears…at about 5 seconds…the oil indicator appears...release the button.

3 - Within 3 seconds of releasing the button…press and release the button again. Each press and release of the button will toggle to a different service indicator available for reset.

4 - When you have toggled to the service indicator to be reset…press and hold the the button…at about 3 seconds…the “RESET ?” message appears…release the button.

5 - If you do not wish to reset the indicator…do nothing…the process will abort in about 3 seconds.

6 - If you do wish to reset the indicator…within 3 seconds…press and hold the button until the service miles remaining changes to “---“. (the exact button pressing part for the actual reset is a little fuzzy…but easy to do).

donpb 05-12-2013 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by slo.e60 (Post 1505341)
check out this thread,

Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?

posted by donpb on June 28, 2012, he too had problems resetting his oil change interval.

Yeah I keep getting that stupid "----" also. It seems the oil interval won't reset if something is wrong with the oil level sensor and / or harness. Mine ended being a damaged harness.

noberryafterdingl 05-13-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by donpb (Post 1505459)
Yeah I keep getting that stupid "----" also. It seems the oil interval won't reset if something is wrong with the oil level sensor and / or harness. Mine ended being a damaged harness.

yep im gonna lean towards a bad sensor.... my oil eve indicater has aso turned yellow on the idrve system... just did an oil change about a month ago and dont have any oil leaks so guess ill hit ebay for a sensor thanks guys i really appreciate it

donpb 05-13-2013 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by noberryafterdingl (Post 1505560)
yep im gonna lean towards a bad sensor.... my oil eve indicater has aso turned yellow on the idrve system... just did an oil change about a month ago and dont have any oil leaks so guess ill hit ebay for a sensor thanks guys i really appreciate it

Seems like you're on the right track but it could also be a damaged harness. Its pretty easy to check and so I'd do that before buying a new oil sensor. The sensor is located right underneath the oil pan.

BMW535xia 08-16-2013 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Allen (Post 1505365)
You may have some issue not related to the procedure...but when I was trying to find the procedure online (here and other places) I could not find that was correct for my '08 535i...they all had a step missing or incorrect info. It seems that there a lot of small differences in procedures/steps from model year to year. Anyway...I went through and wrote my own procedure specifically for a '08 535i...here it is:

1 - Get in car…close door…apply parking brake…put in neutral…insert the key in ignition…press and release Start button. This should illuminate the battery, oil and parking brake lights…but not start the car.

=> At any point in the following process…releasing the odometer reset button for about 10 seconds will abort the process.

2 - Press and hold the odometer reset button…at about 2 seconds…a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears…at about 5 seconds…the oil indicator appears...release the button.

3 - Within 3 seconds of releasing the button…press and release the button again. Each press and release of the button will toggle to a different service indicator available for reset.

4 - When you have toggled to the service indicator to be reset…press and hold the the button…at about 3 seconds…the “RESET ?” message appears…release the button.

5 - If you do not wish to reset the indicator…do nothing…the process will abort in about 3 seconds.

6 - If you do wish to reset the indicator…within 3 seconds…press and hold the button until the service miles remaining changes to “---“. (the exact button pressing part for the actual reset is a little fuzzy…but easy to do).

Is this procedure for a manual trans.? would like to know if this applies to an auto. trans '08 535xi. thanks

BMW535xia 08-19-2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Allen (Post 1505365)

no worky on mine...:bye: