E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil life reset will not work please read

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60
Default oil life reset will not work please read

i know there are several threads on this topic allready but... i cant get my oil life indicater to reset.... i have successfully reseted spark plugs and others items but the oil life will not reset... while depressing the trip odometer i can access the oil life reminder,, i get all the way to "reset" the mileage goes to ---- then the old mileage reappears. ive done it 15 time to no avail.... please give me some insight,,,, i also reset the trip mileage before continuing
The following users liked this post:
Squidly (10-06-2023)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

check out this thread,

Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?

posted by donpb on June 28, 2012, he too had problems resetting his oil change interval.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

This guy had a sensor problem.
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...change-124528/
Old 05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

yes, which prohibited him from resetting his oil change interval.

there's lots of good info in that thread regarding the resetting procedure in general.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

You may have some issue not related to the procedure...but when I was trying to find the procedure online (here and other places) I could not find that was correct for my '08 535i...they all had a step missing or incorrect info. It seems that there a lot of small differences in procedures/steps from model year to year. Anyway...I went through and wrote my own procedure specifically for a '08 535i...here it is:

1 - Get in car…close door…apply parking brake…put in neutral…insert the key in ignition…press and release Start button. This should illuminate the battery, oil and parking brake lights…but not start the car.

=> At any point in the following process…releasing the odometer reset button for about 10 seconds will abort the process.

2 - Press and hold the odometer reset button…at about 2 seconds…a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears…at about 5 seconds…the oil indicator appears...release the button.

3 - Within 3 seconds of releasing the button…press and release the button again. Each press and release of the button will toggle to a different service indicator available for reset.

4 - When you have toggled to the service indicator to be reset…press and hold the the button…at about 3 seconds…the “RESET ?” message appears…release the button.

5 - If you do not wish to reset the indicator…do nothing…the process will abort in about 3 seconds.

6 - If you do wish to reset the indicator…within 3 seconds…press and hold the button until the service miles remaining changes to “---“. (the exact button pressing part for the actual reset is a little fuzzy…but easy to do).

Last edited by Allen; 05-11-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 184 Likes on 179 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by slo.e60
check out this thread,

Reset the Oil Service Indicatior Change?

posted by donpb on June 28, 2012, he too had problems resetting his oil change interval.
Yeah I keep getting that stupid "----" also. It seems the oil interval won't reset if something is wrong with the oil level sensor and / or harness. Mine ended being a damaged harness.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: stock e60

Originally Posted by donpb
Yeah I keep getting that stupid "----" also. It seems the oil interval won't reset if something is wrong with the oil level sensor and / or harness. Mine ended being a damaged harness.
yep im gonna lean towards a bad sensor.... my oil eve indicater has aso turned yellow on the idrve system... just did an oil change about a month ago and dont have any oil leaks so guess ill hit ebay for a sensor thanks guys i really appreciate it
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 184 Likes on 179 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by noberryafterdingl
yep im gonna lean towards a bad sensor.... my oil eve indicater has aso turned yellow on the idrve system... just did an oil change about a month ago and dont have any oil leaks so guess ill hit ebay for a sensor thanks guys i really appreciate it
Seems like you're on the right track but it could also be a damaged harness. Its pretty easy to check and so I'd do that before buying a new oil sensor. The sensor is located right underneath the oil pan.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Allen
You may have some issue not related to the procedure...but when I was trying to find the procedure online (here and other places) I could not find that was correct for my '08 535i...they all had a step missing or incorrect info. It seems that there a lot of small differences in procedures/steps from model year to year. Anyway...I went through and wrote my own procedure specifically for a '08 535i...here it is:

1 - Get in car…close door…apply parking brake…put in neutral…insert the key in ignition…press and release Start button. This should illuminate the battery, oil and parking brake lights…but not start the car.

=> At any point in the following process…releasing the odometer reset button for about 10 seconds will abort the process.

2 - Press and hold the odometer reset button…at about 2 seconds…a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears…at about 5 seconds…the oil indicator appears...release the button.

3 - Within 3 seconds of releasing the button…press and release the button again. Each press and release of the button will toggle to a different service indicator available for reset.

4 - When you have toggled to the service indicator to be reset…press and hold the the button…at about 3 seconds…the “RESET ?” message appears…release the button.

5 - If you do not wish to reset the indicator…do nothing…the process will abort in about 3 seconds.

6 - If you do wish to reset the indicator…within 3 seconds…press and hold the button until the service miles remaining changes to “---“. (the exact button pressing part for the actual reset is a little fuzzy…but easy to do).
Is this procedure for a manual trans.? would like to know if this applies to an auto. trans '08 535xi. thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 05:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Allen

no worky on mine...

Quick Reply: oil life reset will not work please read