E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No more seat belt sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Originally Posted by ProMed
still waiting...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Percy_991
Personal attacks and smilies must be your default response when you can no longer support your side of an debate. How old are you?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

alright, enough....

stay on topic...
Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ProMed
That is another great personal attack, let me know whenever you decide to debate the seat belt dummy chime you are so fond of for some reason.

As Gene said, let's get back to topic now, Gents!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman

As Gene said, let's get back to topic now, Gents!
Agreed. Apologies for adding fuel to the fire.

Have a great Easter all.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 2006 BMW 530i with sport and prem package, staggered 124 wheels, 50% tint, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black interior w/ alum trim set, M style body kit and sound upgrade: Alpine PDX-5, PXE-H660, sub, MBQuart speakers.

I got this in ebay for $5 a few months ago and love it!!! no more annoying chime...!
Attached Thumbnails No more seat belt sound-968.jpg  
Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LeuS
I got this in ebay for $5 a few months ago and love it!!! no more annoying chime...!
LeuS, to refresh you on my standpoint with regards to this device:

The very fact that this device interferes with the normal seatbelt mechanism should be enough to sound alarm bells. You are incorporating an alien part to your safety setup. Has this particular device been tested robustly to ensure that fitting it will have no adverse effects should the worse happen? Have the tolerances been measured against multiple force, stress and load factors that can be generated in an accident?

Also, if this device was used, and god forbid, there was an accident, where would the occupant in the seat end up if they were not strapped in? As far as the car is concerned, the person is strapped in securely. So if airbags are then deployed what impact could they have on the 'unsecured and free-falling' passenger? Surely there is then an increased probability of suffering a serious injury by deployed airbags? To add to this, what if multiple devices that 'trick' the safety system were installed? I feel that there are so many variables that you are potentially interfering with to warrant this device nothing but unsafe.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 2006 BMW 530i with sport and prem package, staggered 124 wheels, 50% tint, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black interior w/ alum trim set, M style body kit and sound upgrade: Alpine PDX-5, PXE-H660, sub, MBQuart speakers.

Originally Posted by Percy_991
LeuS, to refresh you on my standpoint with regards to this device:

The very fact that this device interferes with the normal seatbelt mechanism should be enough to sound alarm bells. You are incorporating an alien part to your safety setup. Has this particular device been tested robustly to ensure that fitting it will have no adverse effects should the worse happen? Have the tolerances been measured against multiple force, stress and load factors that can be generated in an accident?

Also, if this device was used, and god forbid, there was an accident, where would the occupant in the seat end up if they were not strapped in? As far as the car is concerned, the person is strapped in securely. So if airbags are then deployed what impact could they have on the 'unsecured and free-falling' passenger? Surely there is then an increased probability of suffering a serious injury by deployed airbags? To add to this, what if multiple devices that 'trick' the safety system were installed? I feel that there are so many variables that you are potentially interfering with to warrant this device nothing but unsafe.
Percy,

Thanks for your concern, but at this point I think is not necessary to patronize anybody about the risks of not wearing seatbelt, not wearing a helmet or smoking. We are all very well aware of the risks and potential consequences. But people make their own choices, and even if those choices may not seem rational, you have to deal with it or look the other way.

When you drive you car, you wear the seatbelt, but why don't you also wear a helmet and and other protective gear? those sure help minimize the consequences if -God forbid- you have an accident. What if the new BMWs came with a helmet attached to it and forced you to wear it in order to turn off an annoying chime? would you agree with that? would you wear the helmet? if you do then it wouldn't be your own choice but the manufacturer's given the fact you don't wear a helmet now.

All that being said, I do wear the seatbelt sometimes, but let it be my decision and not the damn chime that forces me to do so. Same goes with wearing a helmet when riding a bike or having a burger without ketchup.

Happy Easter!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LeuS
Percy,

Thanks for your concern, but at this point I think is not necessary to patronize [not intended, apologies] anybody about the risks of not wearing seatbelt, not wearing a helmet or smoking. [The topic of debate is not about wearing a helmet or smoking. This is a car forum designed to discuss and debate car-related issues. The device you purchased from eBay has got nothing to do with helmets and smoking nor does the analagy. If you are taking a car out on a race track, then the relevance of a helmet is another matter.]

We are all very well aware of the risks and potential consequences.[It appears some people take more action to ensure their safety is maximized when driving a car.] But people make their own choices [agree] and even if those choices may not seem rational, you have to deal with it or look the other way. [When you are interfering with the OEM safety equipment how can one look the other way? If, God forbid, the worse would happen what impact would this potentially have on the lives of those who are injured? Surely, there is a duty of care and an conscious decision to deal with safety. I am sure there would also be insurance implications if the worse was to happen Here in the UK it is a legal requirement to wear a seat belt, so perhaps this goes someway to explain why there is clearly a division of opinion with regards to this debate. Unfortunately, merely looking the other way is not always an option]

When you drive you car, you wear the seatbelt, but why don't you also wear a helmet and and other protective gear? [Because for normal road driving, using a helmet and other protective gear is not required by UK law or associated with normal road driving. Your point would be valid if we are talking about driving on a race track. The mere suggestion of this perhaps digresses from the issue of a seatbelt. Would you use a carving knife, fork, spoon or rolling pin to crack open a boiled egg? Although you may argue that these are also safety elements, you are being un-contextual in suggesting they should be used. I understand the point you are trying to demonstrate, but this is not relevant in this case and is perhaps over-kill.] those sure help minimize the consequences if -God forbid- you have an accident. What if the new BMWs came with a helmet attached to it and forced you to wear it in order to turn off an annoying chime? [There are no limits of hypothetical rationale and what-if scenarios. "What if your car could fly?" The statement I have made has no relevance to this debate and serves to demonstrate the ill-destined plight and contextual script of your rhetoric.] would you agree with that? [This is a far-fetched hypothetical scenario; see my last response. Would you drive a car that could fly?] would you wear the helmet? [See my last response.] if you do then it wouldn't be your own choice but the manufacturer's given the fact you don't wear a helmet now.

All that being said, I do wear the seatbelt sometimes, but let it be my decision and not the damn chime that forces me to do so. [If it is your decision and not because of the "damn chime" why did you purchase the device from eBay? This does not stack-up. Furthermore, in your initial response you say that there is "no more annoying chime". Thus demonstrating you did indeed purchase this device to stop the chime.] Same goes with wearing a helmet when riding a bike or having a burger without ketchup. [In-contextual rationale and arguing Again, refer to my "flying car example.]

Happy Easter! [Likewise.]
LeuS - Indeed happy Easter.

Without digressing and making way for what may be perceived as a personal attack, I have given my responses in [red] to your questions in you previous post as seen above, be that they do appear rhetorical at times.

Quick Reply: No more seat belt sound