E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No more seat belt sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Percy_991
How refreshing; "drama queens". Here in the UK it is mandatory for regular drivers to wear their seatbelts. Sorry for wanting my passengers and myself to stand the best chance of avoiding serious injury / worse should an accident occur.

The very fact that this device interferes with the normal seatbelt mechanism should be enough to sound alarm bells. You are incorporating an alien part to your safety setup. Has this particular devise been tested robustly to ensure that fitting it will have no adverse effect should the worse happen? Have the tolerances been measured against multiple force, stress and load factors that can be generated in an accident? Or has the entire 'R&D' budget for this product been spent on designing a poor-copy of the "Trpe R" logo? Why not stick Audi rings on the alloy wheels and airbags?
Seatbelt laws have nothing to do with this product. Those are great valid points in your second paragraph, as I said I wouldn't buy one. However my drama queen comment was directed to those who assumed this prevented people from wearing their seatbelt, when in fact it does not.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Originally Posted by ProMed
Seatbelt laws have nothing to do with this product. Those are great valid points in your second paragraph, as I said I wouldn't buy one. However my drama queen comment was directed to those who assumed this prevented people from wearing their seatbelt, when in fact it does not.
Appreciate your clarification.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

Oh dear,look's like the some of the folk from the state's are either not bothered about tampering with safety device's or wear a seatbelt because of the fear not being paid out in the event of an accident,i'd rather be labeled drama queen if it meant saving my life or other's as i'm responsible for the safety of all passenger's travelling in my car,sorry guy's I just don't get it when you argue against wearing one.Hey who am I to tell you what to do,it's upto you whether you wear one or not.

*****I've had a look at the link that the original poster had given,what doe's this device do exactly?It trick's the seatbelt sensor into thinking that the seatbelt is already plugged in yes?You'd only buy this product if you have passenger's/driver's who hate having the seatbelt on,correct?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Members

My Ride: it's only a puny 520i

Today, after I went grocery shopping, the seatbelt indicator burned intermittently on the dash
it also had the exclamation triangle thing on it.

I'm new to this car, I was relieved when discovering that the groceries on the passenger seat
were responsible

There was no sound for the passenger seatbelt luckily. I cannot drive without seatbelt it is second nature to me.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Originally Posted by Sanj
Oh dear,look's like the some of the folk from the state's are either not bothered about tampering with safety device's or wear a seatbelt because of the fear not being paid out in the event of an accident,i'd rather be labeled drama queen if it meant saving my life or other's as i'm responsible for the safety of all passenger's travelling in my car,sorry guy's I just don't get it when you argue against wearing one.Hey who am I to tell you what to do,it's upto you whether you wear one or not.

*****I've had a look at the link that the original poster had given,what doe's this device do exactly?It trick's the seatbelt sensor into thinking that the seatbelt is already plugged in yes?You'd only buy this product if you have passenger's/driver's who hate having the seatbelt on,correct?
+1.
Also, if if this device was used, and god forbid, there was an accident, where would the occupant in the seat end up if they were not strapped in? As far as the car is concerned, the person is strapped in securely. So if airbags are then deployed what impact could they have on the 'unsecure and free-falling' passenger? Surely there is then an increased probability of suffering a serious injury by deployed airbags? To add to this, what if multiple devices that 'trick' the safety system were installed? Another angle; what if this was a convertible car? I feel that there are so many variables that you are potentially interfering with to warrant this device nothing but unsafe.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Members

Type R
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

would someone (moderator) please put this thread to rest :-)

everyone made their points clear.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pcy
would someone (moderator) please put this thread to rest :-)

everyone made their points clear.

On the contrary; I think keeping this thread open would be beneficial from a safety standpoint for any fellow users in the future who stumble on something they initially perceive as a helpful device.

Deeper ramifications and considerations have been identified and explored within this thread. Pivotal to this is that the device on offer not only interferes with the OEM safety equipment but the integral structure of the device when used in conjunction with OEM equipment is unknown.

Rather than brushing this thread under the carpet, I feel that this thread has wider implications and reinforces the notion that as responsible adults we should not sacrifice safety in the pursuit of ill-perceived convenience. Other people should have the choice to read this, and make their own judgment calls as everyone who is reading this has been able to. This thread is not simply a sounding board to have a mumble and groan about a device; 'pcy' - if this is your conclusion you have seriously missed the point and wider context.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Members

Seatbelts and Helmets... I use them both when needed, but detest my government for forcing them on us.

All this legislation away of "natural selection" will and/or has already evoked the law of unintended consequences.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I REFUSE to code the seatbelts off. It has been proven by coding the seatbelt chime off, the airbag modules act differently and cannot predict as it should in case of an accident. But this little gadget will work when you are moving your car across the street, around the block, etc.

Quick Reply: No more seat belt sound