E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Next Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is straight line shot gun style launch going to be a daily event for you Z?
for the bang of the buck new Z06 hands down, but the fit and finish on the not to mention interior is hidious. can you live with that? running alone on a lonely straight highway dealing with the plastic dash and not too comfortable somewhat leather seats that looks too 'glossy' with cheap stitching?

have you test driven the M5? i mean the watered-down launch control SMG is not really that bad.
BTW spinning the wheels does not make the car go faster.
i do have a problem with the not up to par low end torque and limited fuel range of the V10, its personal. i dislike gas stations.
i mean the new M3 V8 400bhp is going to have this launch thingy, but don't let this fact dismiss your decision. go earn a test drive.

now that i understand Mrs Z will get her own ride, perhaps you can consider chipping the 550i, add cold air intake, soup the exhaust and enlarging the rear differential.
pratice looking into the rear view catching the exciting facial expressions of those you just smoked.

i too hate to encourage you towards the AMG, but i sat in one earlier.......(its not fair) its soooo nice!

if its me, I'll take the CLS AMG 6/5-what-so-ever-LatestAndTheGreatest plus the M coupe, but thats me.

BTW will your wife let you get a bike? anything with 1K or so (like R1200), makes the cars discussed here looks good, at the corner of the mirror you know?
how about getting her a nice leather overall to go with the new bike?

kidding aside, i think you should ask which car will best suit your drivng style (gunning from stop,metal to the pedal) and go from there.
for me its the twisties and slower on straights to checkout the chicks.

one more thing, what is the F10 discussed here? please enlighten me. thanks!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Originally Posted by rollee' post='298275' date='Jun 15 2006, 11:51 PM
for the bang of the buck new Z06 hands down, but the fit and finish on the not to mention interior is hidious. can you live with that? running alone on a lonely straight highway dealing with the plastic dash and not too comfortable somewhat leather seats that looks too 'glossy' with cheap stitching?

have you test driven the M5? i mean the watered-down launch control SMG is not really that bad.
i do have a problem with the not up to par low end torque and limited fuel range of the V10, its personal. i dislike gas stations.
i mean the new M3 V8 400bhp is going to have this launch thingy, but don't let this fact dismiss your decision. go earn a test drive.

now that i understand Mrs Z will get her own ride, perhaps you can consider chipping the 550i, add cold air intake, soup the exhaust and enlarging the rear differential.
pratice looking into the rear view catching the exciting facial expressions of those you just smoked.

i too hate to encourage you towards the AMG, but i sat in one earlier.......(its not fair) its soooo nice!

if its me, I'll take the CLS AMG 6/5-what-so-ever-LatestAndTheGreatest plus the M coupe, but thats me.
BTW will your wife let you get a bike? anything with 1K or so (like R1200), makes the cars discussed here looks good, at the corner of the mirror you know?

kidding aside, i think you should ask which car will best suit your drivng style (gunning from stop,metal to the pedal) and go from there.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I put my replies in orange below.

Originally Posted by rollee' post='298275' date='Jun 16 2006, 01:51 AM

I like to go fast straight pretty often--one way or another. I like the interior of my Z06--although the stitching is a little cheap looking. The dash and leather are fine with me. If the dash is plastic, it looks good. My seats don't look glossy unless I have just put leather cleaner on them.

I have not driven an M5. Wheel spinning is, of course, not the goal. Going fast straight is though. With a fully functioning launch control the M5 might keep up with the AMGs on the dragstrip, but it wouldn't help on the street since one seldomly would get into launch control mode on the street. I don't care for gas stations either.

I just don't want to reward BMW for doing disservices to the US market. But, plenty of others will. So, I might change my mind on the LC issue. As mentioned, one rarely would be in launch-control mode on the street, and I won't be going to the strip. I probably wouldn't use launch control when g-meter testing since that's not the way I would drive the car on the street.

Great ideas, but I am not too big on doing that many extensive mods on an in-warranty car. I do love a stealther though. We'll be sharing the fast sedan.

No bikes. I am getting my left hip replaced this summer because of a bike wreck in 1972. The hip held up well until about 1995 despite many road miles and races, but it has been down hill since then.

Exactly, its looking more like: Fast sedan--CLS and
.................................................. ...........................Keeping/minimally modding my Z06.

or

.................................................. .........--550i;
.................................................. ............M3; and
.................................................. ............Maybe keeping/minimally modding my Z06.

And, I will be looking into the Audis. I don't know much about the F10's. I'd like to hear more too.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ats77' post='298260' date='Jun 16 2006, 01:17 AM
Don, I feel your paing just buy a damn fast car like 550i or the 650 as the other members suggested

for me the next will be F10 either the newest diesel 535 or the 550i badly tuned for more juice
Tell us more about the F10. I don't know much about them. Check out my above reply for how my thinking seems to be going. 650 has only 2 doors. 550i, maybe--see above. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Wait for the 535d to be available in the USA

(don't get a merc - you aren't THAT old)
Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='298662' date='Jun 16 2006, 05:43 PM
Wait for the 535d to be available in the USA

(don't get a merc - you aren't THAT old)
True, but I am young enough to go really fast straight. The 535d is cool, but probably not for me unless I start driving a lot more miles or until most cars are diesels.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

In 2 years the "550" may be the 560 with 425HP, who knows? I do know that my wife never drove my M3 with SMG, but she has no problem with my 550. Coming home from dinner tonight we discussed the M3, and she said she hated that car with its ultra stiff suspension. She said it was like riding in a stagecoach. I loved that car but wanted a change. And the 550 is much more comfortable while still a capable handling car. I just can't see myself in a Mercedes; they just don't do well in the curves and that is a lot of the fun. Even Audi's don't handle like BMWs, but I think they are closer than Mercedes.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by darkside' post='298743' date='Jun 16 2006, 10:06 PM
In 2 years the "550" may be the 560 with 425HP, who knows? I do know that my wife never drove my M3 with SMG, but she has no problem with my 550. Coming home from dinner tonight we discussed the M3, and she said she hated that car with its ultra stiff suspension. She said it was like riding in a stagecoach. I loved that car but wanted a change. And the 550 is much more comfortable while still a capable handling car. I just can't see myself in a Mercedes; they just don't do well in the curves and that is a lot of the fun. Even Audi's don't handle like BMWs, but I think they are closer than Mercedes.
The existence of a 560 could help me with my decision, but still not close enough to 500 to take away all my dissonance. My wife likes the stiff suspension of my Z06 well enough. But, we would do most of our together riding/driving in the 560--as we do in my 545i. Going modestly fast around curves doesn't do much for me. I like the edge of adhesion, but that's hard to manage in the city. And, I don't like to risk an expensive car being on the edge. So, excellent handling tends to be wasted on me. I am not sure where you guys find the twisties allowing you to really exercise your handling capabilities.

So, where do you twistie guys find the twisties? And, are you twistie lovers on the edge with your cars whether in the city or not? Do you really twist fast enough to put your cars at risk? In Phoenix, if I find fun twisties, what lies around the bends is hidden from view. And, that's not a good thing with so many disaster possibilities in a city--kids, bicyclists, slow traffic, etc. So, if I do the twisties in Phoenix, my speed can't be fast enough to be much fun.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='298935' date='Jun 17 2006, 08:23 AM
And, I don't like to risk an expensive car being on the edge. So, excellent handling tends to be wasted on me.
Ahhhhh enlightnment! Now i know why I dont go crazy in corners or twisties... I rather power out of things.... Ok ok I think I knew that already but not sure if i ever put it out in those words for myself...

But I still LIKE to have the handling capability... just in case I ever do accidently take it more than i usually would... I like to have some reserve... So I think thats why I like BMW. they usually build enough reserve in their cars for drivers like me.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='298935' date='Jun 17 2006, 09:23 AM
The existence of a 560 could help me with my decision, but still not close enough to 500 to take away all my dissonance. My wife likes the stiff suspension of my Z06 well enough. But, we would do most of our together riding/driving in the 560--as we do in my 545i. Going modestly fast around curves doesn't do much for me. I like the edge of adhesion, but that's hard to manage in the city. And, I don't like to risk an expensive car being on the edge. So, excellent handling tends to be wasted on me. I am not sure where you guys find the twisties allowing you to really exercise your handling capabilities.

So, where do you twistie guys find the twisties? And, are you twistie lovers on the edge with your cars whether in the city or not? Do you really twist fast enough to put your cars at risk? In Phoenix, if I find fun twisties, what lies around the bends is hidden from view. And, that's not a good thing with so many disaster possibilities in a city--kids, bicyclists, slow traffic, etc. So, if I do the twisties in Phoenix, my speed can't be fast enough to be much fun.
Znod,

Here in Tucson, AZ we have Mount Lemmon. Basically 30+ miles of perfectly paved, twisty mountain roads that are lightly patrolled by the cops. Corners range from hairpins to many fast sweepers with good forward visibility. Maybe try it if you are ever in the area. I push my car to 90% some early weekday mornings (no campers, sightseers etc.), just short of where the electronic guardians kick in. Very entertaining seeing the enormous capabilities of this luxury sedan.

Maybe do a web search (arizona canyon roads etc. as keywords), I would be surprised if PHX did not have some nice areas.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Next Cars