E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Next Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='297944' date='Jun 15 2006, 12:09 PM
Hi Friends:

I've been mulling over our next change of cars--in two years--maybe a bit prematurely, but probably not since enough facts probably are known now. Currently, we have my 545i, my Z06, and my wife's X5. We probably will move to having only two cars the next time around, and I want to have one very fast sedan. I might keep the Z06 (modding it a bit--a good less expensive alternative since it has only 10k miles and is paid for), get a new one, or replace it with some other sporty car, perhaps the Z4 M roadster or coupe or the SLK AMG. I am leaning toward keeping the Z06 in modded form as we are rapidly approaching full-time retirement.

Since the Alpina B5, which I'd buy in a second unless unreasonably priced, is not available in the US, it looks to me like the only somewhat reasonably priced fast-sedan contenders are the M5, the CLS AMG, and the E55 AMG. Unfortunately, while the M5 is an exceptional car, I don't want one for several reasons.

First, I am not sold on the SMG, in general, and especially not as a replacement for a true automatic--which we would want. In this regard, the Mercs have excellent 7-speed automatics--that allow rapid sifting and true manual control--like no automatic shifting in M mode before hitting the rev limiter. Second, the M5 gas mileage is atrocious, while he Mercs get very good mileage. Third, the low "torqueness" of the M5 is unsatisfactory for an around-town car, while the Mercs are torque monsters (love a supercharged V-8). And, last, the handling of the M5, although not its feel, is somewhat wasted on me because I seldomly do any sort of truly fast twisty taking. It's hard enough to find a place to go straight fast in the city. It's too bad for me, but, IMO, the M5 is a great bargain--but only if one wants to drive a quasi-track car around town (wasting the experience of its engineering), drive mostly on the open road, or wants to track the car. In this regard, the Mercs are better engineered for around town at least from the ride comfort perspective--not that the M5 rides badly.

I would like to stay in the BMW family, but it looks like BMW won't have a car for me. I keep trying to talk myself into an M5, but I know that I will not succeed.

I have though also of having an M3 and a 550i, but the M3 won't equal the performance level of even my unmodded Z06--which is paid for. The "paid for ness" of the Z06 also argues against getting any of the "sporty" cars mentioned above. And, even with the minimal mods I would do, the Z06 would approach the acceleration ability of the new Z06. I'd simply increase the rear-end ratio to 3.73 or 3.9, get an intake, keep running my drag radials, and have a dyno tune. I'd pick up the equivalent of, say, 70 FWHP.

What to do? What to do?
Tell me it isn't so Zman.You are not considering a Merc are you?I don't think you will be as satisfied with the overall experience as with a new 550.I agree with you on straight line performance,but somehow I can't warm up to superchargers.I look at them the same as athletes on steroids,Its cheating. I prefer to get my horsepower the old fashion way,normally asperated.I owned a 1997 E420 which was a nice car but it had no soul.It was quick,got good mileage,and rode nice but it was uninspiring.I know the AMG's are much sportier but they still don't feel or drive like a BMW.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='300981' date='Jun 21 2006, 11:13 AM
,but somehow I can't warm up to superchargers.I look at them the same as athletes on steroids,Its cheating. I prefer to get my horsepower the old fashion way,normally asperated.
Merc has done away with them for now on the new x 63 AMGs.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='300981' date='Jun 21 2006, 01:13 PM
Tell me it isn't so Zman.You are not considering a Merc are you?I don't think you will be as satisfied with the overall experience as with a new 550.I agree with you on straight line performance,but somehow I can't warm up to superchargers.I look at them the same as athletes on steroids,Its cheating. I prefer to get my horsepower the old fashion way,normally asperated.I owned a 1997 E420 which was a nice car but it had no soul.It was quick,got good mileage,and rode nice but it was uninspiring.I know the AMG's are much sportier but they still don't feel or drive like a BMW.
I thought the the C55 AMG that I drove felt pretty decently. But, I'll have to drive some others to decide. I definitely have not decided on a Merc, but the E63 AMG and the CLS AMG look pretty good.

Eric says the SC's are gone on the x 63's, but that wasn't my impression. If so, then even better.

I don't mind SC's and TC's--unless after market. I don't think that one is cheating until NOS is used, but really, all these methods, and, even using additional carburetors, are, as I am sure you know, just different ways of getting more combustable material to the plugs. I have never been able to advance a logical argument against NOS. I tried once and failed. My preference for no NOS just turned out to be bias as best I can tell. But, like you, my preference is no forced induction and no NOS.

My problem is that, except for styling, I basically don't like the M5 because: slower than comparable mercs; SMG is not for my wife, although I could tolerate it (barely); incredibly poor gas mileage; low "torqueness" for an around-town car; and relatively less good ride quality for a "family" car than comparable mercs. In this regard, I am wanting a really fast sedan. My 545i is a wonderful car, but is not fast enough.

I think the my main hope of staying in the family is if we decide on a 550i (or whatever) and an M3--selling or keeping the Z06. Another possibility would be to keep the Z06 and get only a 550i. Finally, the combo of 550i and Z4 M-Roadster or Coupe might work--keeping or selling the Z06 (probably selling in this case). But, I am not sure why I'd get rid of a paid for Z06 to end up with a Z4/M.

And, I have problems even with getting the M3 because I don't want a manual, and I am not a big fan of the SMG--especially if it comes with a watered-down launch control like the M5. And, the M3 will not really be that fast even though it should be a neat car otherwise (ignoring the SMG).

I think I may end up trapped given what I want in cars. Thus, it may come down to one of the Mercs plus the Z06--which is the least expensive and "fastest" option anyway. In this regard, both of my cars would be faster than any of the cars in the BMW combos mentioned above, althought the BMW combos would be superior in many ways. A final point is that I don't trust BMW to treat those of us interested in performance right when it comes to software updates.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='301125' date='Jun 21 2006, 05:12 PM
Eric says the SC's are gone on the x 63's, but that wasn't my impression. If so, then even better.

[DELETE] I'm not admitting i'm wrong just yet...

And ya i think if its S/C or T/C straight from the factory its not cheating... if its done aftermarket its differnt... with NOS pheesh... wont last long so by the third drag race you're out of luck. Thats totally kidding yourself.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Contributors

THIS THIS! I read it here... theres actually a few other articles that pop up if you search for "Natually Aspirated Mercedes AMG Engine"

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/1088...nz-e63-amg.html

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...06/pageNumber=1

Can somone explain this to me?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Contributors

An AMG benz would seem to be the best fit. Out of all the typical mags, CD, R&T, I remember MT having a good article on the new engine. At least I think it was them.

Moving up to a 550 would be nice, but I don't think it's really worth it since you already have a 545i. Other than the aforementioned S6, maybe a RS4 would be a good fit, not sure if it was already mentioned.

If you're considering the future e92 m3, I think a Z06 would fit you better, especially considering straight line speed. I know you have an older Z06, but I think this would be a big step up. BTW, are you on any corvette forums? If so, which one?

Since you have previous experience with japanese sports cars, maybe consider the Infiniti/Nissan GTR, which should have ~450bhp, awd and be a future competitor to the m3 for around $70K. Or perhaps the future supra, although I don't have any specs on it.

Other than german cars, I think a few U.S. sedans with the big V8s would also meet your needs.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributors

Or maybe you can have your son sell you one of the cayennes on the cheap. For roughly $5k, you make it into a stage II turbo with 500+hp. A stage II is basically an intake, chip and exhaust. Supposed to be quite reliable as well.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='301188' date='Jun 21 2006, 07:54 PM
Since you have previous experience with japanese sports cars, maybe consider the Infiniti/Nissan GTR, which should have ~450bhp, awd and be a future competitor to the m3 for around $70K. Or perhaps the future supra, although I don't have any specs on it.
A few more projected stats on the GT-R.
-hp should be closer to 500, with 480hp expected.
-factory said to be shooting for low to mid 3 sec for 0-60
-twin turbo version of version of the VQ35, possibly bored out to 3.8 liters
-8500rpm redline
-brembos
-20" stock wheels
-option of a 7speed sequential transmission

It looks to be a monster, but without seeing or driving either car, my inclination is to go with the m3 for around the same price, even if it's slower than the Z06 and GT-R.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 AM
Contributors

I know you've spoke of your son's porsches, with this turbo along with the gt3 he had I believe, but why not consider them yourself?

For roughly the same price as the other cars mentioned, a used 996 turbo or GT3 can be had in fine condition. Either that or splurge for the 997 varieties.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Ooo one of my friends with a G35 REALLY wants the GT-R... haha maybe you should take a look into it.
Attached Thumbnails Next Cars-01.jpg   Next Cars-02.jpg  

Quick Reply: Next Cars