E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newbie buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Well the 545 is nice, and the price really makes it very nice.

But it does have 2 big issues.

It has a SRS or system restraint issue with the passenger seat, she says she has a recall for that that she still needs to in for.

The A/c is inop, and there is a quote for $1100.

Do you think $1100 a low price for a compressor replacement?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by healthservices
Well the 545 is nice, and the price really makes it very nice.

But it does have 2 big issues.

It has a SRS or system restraint issue with the passenger seat, she says she has a recall for that that she still needs to in for.

The A/c is inop, and there is a quote for $1100.

Do you think $1100 a low price for a compressor replacement?
Ya - there was a recall on the passenger seat issue. I don't know protocol on that, i.e. will any dealer fix it? I would presume so. I think the basic problem is that it has trouble determining if a lighter person is sitting in the seat.

$1100 for A/C - Look at some of the online parts places around the web and see what the part itself costs, there are guys around the site here that can tell you the number of man hours required to change it out by looking it up in their manual, so those two figures should give you an idea of what it should cost.

If you get really serious about the car, a BMW dealership will do an inspection for about $160.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Are there different levels to the sound systems?

I agreed to buy the car, hopefully all will go well, Car appears to have a lot of options. Which also means more to go wrong?

I?ll go to pick it up tonight.

Sport package,

Heads up display,

Navi,

Spare set of wheels,

New tires

Parking sensors

Heated seats

Sun shades

I got it well south of 15k so hopefully it won?t cost me a arm and a leg to repair the issues it has.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Members

Are there different levels to the sound systems?

I agreed to buy the car, hopefully all will go well, Car appears to have a lot of options. Which also means more to go wrong?

I?ll go to pick it up tonight.

Sport package,

Heads up display,

Navi,

Spare set of wheels,

New tires

Parking sensors

Heated seats

Sun shades

I got it well south of 15k so hopefully it won?t cost me a arm and a leg to repair the issues it has.
I think there are different levels of sound system. Sounds like you got a decent price, what year? Ton's o fun for 15K! One other thing that I think is pretty common with miles is suspension bushings, which seem to be pricy.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by w84me
One other thing that I think is pretty common with miles is suspension bushings, which seem to be pricy.

That?s good to know, I'll get under it tomorrow, car actually drives pretty tight and the shop that did the alignment recently did not try to up sell anything.

The search function is not the easiest to navigate. I'll see if I can find anything on the sound system.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Contributors

Learning more about these cars everyday.

When looking over the car I found out the a/c was in-op, the drive belt was missing. I asked the seller if I could take the car to have a belt put on to see if the issue was a belt problem or a seize compressor?

The seller said they would take it to their own shop, and the shop said they would take a look at it. After they took some time to look at it they said the problem was the compressor, it was seized.

I based my bid on the car according to the repair quote and the seller agreed to sell it to me at that price.

Apparently the shop who recommended the compressor did not want to do the diagnosing or attempted to put the belt on and found out a special tool was needed to install the compressor belt. They gave up, said it needed a compressor, and called it a day.

I put the car in the air and turn the compressor by hand, it was not seized. I installed the belt today to make sure the compressor was bad. The compressor was good!

I saved $1100 I can now use for some thing else.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Members

Learning more about these cars everyday.

When looking over the car I found out the a/c was in-op, the drive belt was missing. I asked the seller if I could take the car to have a belt put on to see if the issue was a belt problem or a seize compressor?

The seller said they would take it to their own shop, and the shop said they would take a look at it. After they took some time to look at it they said the problem was the compressor, it was seized.

I based my bid on the car according to the repair quote and the seller agreed to sell it to me at that price.

Apparently the shop who recommended the compressor did not want to do the diagnosing or attempted to put the belt on and found out a special tool was needed to install the compressor belt. They gave up, said it needed a compressor, and called it a day.

Nice!!

I put the car in the air and turn the compressor by hand, it was not seized. I installed the belt today to make sure the compressor was bad. The compressor was good!

I saved $1100 I can now use for some thing else.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My big thing is now is to find my fluid leak. Looks like a Hydraulic Fluid (Power steering) leak. I believe this caused the ac belt to get soft, separate, and spin off.