E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E60 Rough Idle During Cold Start Up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Exclamation BMW E60 Rough Idle During Cold Start Up.

Hi guys,

Newby here, and what a wonderful forum with lots of information.

My Situation:

My car is 2007 530i with 93000 miles. This is what happens during start ups everyone morning:
As soon as the car is started, the engine rev counter starts to move up and down with erratic shakes coming from the engine. It lasts for upto 10 seconds or so and then it settles to normal smooth idling. This does not occur during warm start ups what so ever and does not leave any check engine light. The car is smooth other wise. THE WORST PART IS NOT DOES NOT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME.
I tried to switch off the AC before start up but it does not help. This problem started to occur around 60000 miles but now its more consistent.

Whats done so far:
1. Replaced all ignition coils
2. Replaced all spark plugs
3. Changed engine oil and oil filter
4. Changed air filter
5. Coolant flush

But nothing seems to work. The engine also went through a head gasket replacement at 85000 miles along with various other gasket and seal replacement around the engine expect for the piston rings and such. The engine currently has zero leak with no loss of oil.

The video link of the problem:
Increase the volume to really here the engine behaviour.

I am no lost as to what to do next.
Has anyone had a similar problem and got it fixed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm worried it might damage the engine in the long run.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

This can be a number of things. The first thing that needs to be done is to check the car for codes. BMWs has log messages for everything. Even though the MIL did not Illuminate something was logged during the test cycle and that will point you in the right direction. The best program to use is INPA. Install it on your laptop and buy an OBDII usb cable that is INPA compatible. INPA can be found on the internet just google it and someone has it out there for download. You don't want to keep throwing parts at it and you don't know what is is
Old 04-13-2015, 07:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i

My independent shop scanned for codes but found nothing. I am completely lost.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

What did he scan with? If the MIL is not lit you will not get anything. You have to check for messages which will not show up on a basic scanner
Old 04-13-2015, 01:28 PM
New Members

Have you checked your injectors?

Do a search on here, there is a thread describing this exact problem.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:11 PM
New Members

Default Try this..

Try changing the Vanos Solenoids.. Easy diy.. Just search how yo do it.. Try not to drop the screw that holds them in otherwise you'll be in trouble.. These solenoids go bad every so often ??every 70-80K and this is more likely if you do late oil changed.. I hope this helps..
Old 04-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Take a look at the disa valve
Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i 2010 X5
Default Rough idle

Originally Posted by gergnang
Hi guys,

Newby here, and what a wonderful forum with lots of information.

My Situation:

My car is 2007 530i with 93000 miles. This is what happens during start ups everyone morning:
As soon as the car is started, the engine rev counter starts to move up and down with erratic shakes coming from the engine. It lasts for upto 10 seconds or so and then it settles to normal smooth idling. This does not occur during warm start ups what so ever and does not leave any check engine light. The car is smooth other wise. THE WORST PART IS NOT DOES NOT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME.
I tried to switch off the AC before start up but it does not help. This problem started to occur around 60000 miles but now its more consistent.

Whats done so far:
1. Replaced all ignition coils
2. Replaced all spark plugs
3. Changed engine oil and oil filter
4. Changed air filter
5. Coolant flush

But nothing seems to work. The engine also went through a head gasket replacement at 85000 miles along with various other gasket and seal replacement around the engine expect for the piston rings and such. The engine currently has zero leak with no loss of oil.

The video link of the problem:
Bmw e60 cold start problems. - YouTube
Increase the volume to really here the engine behaviour.

I am no lost as to what to do next.
Has anyone had a similar problem and got it fixed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm worried it might damage the engine in the long run.

Thanks in advance
I have 120,000 and going through the exact same issues. Have you solved it yet?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:08 PM
New Members

My Ride: None
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N54

I replaced the dish valve and that was not the problem when i had a similar sound to yours it was after a long trip that the noise like that came up, I replaced my belt tensioner assembly,idler pulley and belt sound went away...This is what happened in my case
Old 06-09-2015, 08:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

I had this problem on my 2006 330i N52 engine.
First time it happened the fuel injectors were leaking over night, causing too
much fuel in the cylinders at cold start up in the morning. The car would run rough
until the excess fuel was burned. Changing the injectors fixed it.

It reoccurred later when I had an ignition coil get lazy. Cold starts would be jerky and then smooth
out after the engine ran for a bit. I replaced all 6 coils, and she was smooth as silk until I sold her.

My current 2010 535i n54 is in the shop right now for the same issue. They have yet to resolve it. I'll write back here
and tell you what fixed it once they complete the repair.

My moms 2008 535i has the same cold start idle roughness...
In my experience, these N54 and N52 cars are REALLY sensitive to the condition
of the fuel/spark/ignition systems. All it takes is one plug, injector or coil to roughen the idle.

Quick Reply: BMW E60 Rough Idle During Cold Start Up.