E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New owner...a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='508412' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:13 AM
lol, perhaps we should run a contest... who can shoot random stuff the furthest from the trunk lid
I love it !
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='508412' date='Dec 19 2007, 06:13 AM
lol, perhaps we should run a contest... who can shoot random stuff the furthest from the trunk lid

I'm thinking whoever launches that Starbucks better pray the sunroof is closed...the way the trunk lid swings open...that's a slam dunk waiting to happen
Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Allen' post='508069' date='Dec 18 2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies...I think I wasn't clear about the trunk issue. I want to be able to open the trunk (either with FOB or manual switch at trunk lid), get something out, then lay the lid down...not latch it...just have it down and not latched. It is either closed and latched, or wide open. It's really only a problem because the lid is SO hard to close...without grabbing the top of the trunk lid with yur hand and slamming it down....now you have hand prints on the lid...all the time... something my wife dosn't see as a problem, but I know you guys understand...

BTW...great forum. I was starting to think that the really good forums were reserved for the older model cars, due to experience and issues with older models...nice surprise finding this one...thanks to all!
I simply grab my license plate frame and slam the lid down. I can relate to the issue with the open trunk. If you have a lot of stuff to unload in the rain you need to lock and unlock the lid repeatedly if you don't want to flood your trunk, can be a pain in the b.... The "auto open" lid is probably meant to be a convenience, but I wouldn't mind to lift it up myself if I wanted it to stay open just like it was on older cars.

BTW once in a while I get a message "Trunk open" when I loaded it to the brim and start driving off. When I stop and check it, it's actually closed. There must be a sensor that can get blocked. After re-arranging the stuff close to the lid it's usually okay.

Felix
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Felix' post='508996' date='Dec 20 2007, 09:44 PM
I simply grab my license plate frame and slam the lid down. I can relate to the issue with the open trunk. If you have a lot of stuff to unload in the rain you need to lock and unlock the lid repeatedly if you don't want to flood your trunk, can be a pain in the b.... The "auto open" lid is probably meant to be a convenience, but I wouldn't mind to lift it up myself if I wanted it to stay open just like it was on older cars.

BTW once in a while I get a message "Trunk open" when I loaded it to the brim and start driving off. When I stop and check it, it's actually closed. There must be a sensor that can get blocked. After re-arranging the stuff close to the lid it's usually okay.

Felix
Once you learn to use the inside handle technique for closing the trunk, it's really quite simple and natural. The main problem with using the license plate or plate frame is that you can get your hands dirty and/or leave smudge mark on a dirty car.

As far as the automatic lid pop up, I think you'll find that people are split about it. If it didn't pop up, you'd hear people complaining that other cars do, etc. and they'd wonder why BMW chose to leave it down. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess. (I do think the E90 lid stays closed and the E39 did for sure...) For me, the main drawback to the automatic opening is only during times when it's raining or something and I don't want the inside of the trunk to get wet. When that possibility exists, I just walk up to the car and open the trunk from the release above the license plate (or press the remote while I'm standing there.) Any other time, I'd say I prefer the pop open method because it can save a step as you approach the car...
Old 12-21-2007, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='508140' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:46 AM
As I mentioned earlier, the force can be adjusted by moving the spring to a different numbered slot but I'm not too sure if it'll help you out. Take a look at the first diagram (number 1) in the following document to see where the adjustment is...

Attachment 42019
This is exactly what I was looking for...thank you very much. I agree that this doesn't seem like it will change things much, but just a little reduction in tension might be just the ticket. I think the trick will be to reduce the closing tension, but also allow the lid to stay up when it is open. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='509018' date='Dec 21 2007, 05:02 AM
(I do think the E90 lid stays closed and the E39 did for sure...)

with the E39 the lock opens and the lid can be lifted. Quite often I noticed driving off with it unlocked as I couldn't see that.

An overall observation is that the doors close a lot easier on this E60 than on the E39's. I found it quite annoying to have to slam the doors to get them shut properly.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='509107' date='Dec 21 2007, 06:33 AM
I found it quite annoying to have to slam the doors to get them shut properly.
This is exactly how I feel about having to slam my E60 trunk to get it to close. Also, I suspect that many who have had their trunks pop open...look out in the parking lot and see your trunk open...just didn't have it closed good enough, because it's so freakin' hard to close. I'm gonna look into the adjustment of the left side trunk spring and see if that doesn't help.