E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla or Magnaflow????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62
Default Borla or Magnaflow????

Question about the dual in/dual out. Is it just preference on the brand Borla or Magnaflow bc Im just looking for a nice Lil purrrr and I understand when I punch it the purrrr will get louder but the smooth purrrr at start up is what in looking for. And is or what will the Vibrant resonator bring to the sound or is that brand another preferred item?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

And how is the droning with these setups
Old 05-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by star69me
And how is the droning with these setups
I'm getting read to finally do a quad setup
Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

i'm on the same boat, going dual with m bumper,
i'm leading towards borla
Old 05-19-2015, 03:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Default check this

http://www.bodykitsuperstore.com/bmw-series-e60-rear-diffusor-for-mtech-rear-bumper-p-131112.html

I'm thinking Borla with the vibrant resonators? Muffler? But for me the quad rear I like the mtech/550 sport bumper and theres is a phat diffuser at the link above that I'm going with and I'm getting the mtech/550 bumper from rockauto.com great price. I like the m5 one piece bumpers but I'm not m5 and I'm trying to do something a Lil different.. but you should check it out. But let me know of any other exhaust ideas. I listened to alot of 5series exhaust sounds on utube

Last edited by star69me; 05-19-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Which magnaflow or borla are you looking at? I originally went with a magnaflow custom quad on my car, and hated it. Granted the exhaust ended up being a 1 in 2 out, so they had to put a Y pipe going into the 1 inlet then had 2 out. I don't know if that had to do with anything but I had a huge power loss on my 525i, and I didn't like the sound. I went with a RD sport quad which I bought used on this forum and it has been great, and I actually feel like it increased power. If I were you I would get something like a Remus exhaust depending on how loud you want it. I never wanted to go Remus or another quad when I did mine, so I went cheap with the magnaflow custom and never liked it. I'm not sure what other companies sell already done quads for our cars now. The RD sport I have was actually modified and the right muffler was intented to fit under the spare tire wheel well so its dual mufflers on each side. You might be able to do something with a M5 exhaust and indent it and tilt it on a angle like mine. Depending on what you have a meisterschaft exhaust modded may sound good on it if you have a V8.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes I have the 550i. I don't like the big sound. I like the way my car sounds at start up in the morning and with just about any modded exhaust your gonna get a bigger sound as you punch it but I hear them loud at cruising speed and all I want is a nice Lil purrrr but will roar a Lil if I have to get in and out of tight spaces so I'm just checking the site for info. I was on utube checking out the 550i's with quads. But they were all fast take offs and alot of high revs. But the RPI sound the best to me
Old 05-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

If you just want a nice purr on start up and lightly louder when you stomp the gas, go with Borla. Be sure to keep the stock resonators up front, this will give you a nice deeper bass tone.

There was another guy that duplicated my setup but did a Magnaflow instead, and regardless with whatever resonators he added on, it was too loud or annoyingly drones at certain RPM. He finally switched to a Borla and couldn't be happier.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by Boost7
If you just want a nice purr on start up and lightly louder when you stomp the gas, go with Borla. Be sure to keep the stock resonators up front, this will give you a nice deeper bass tone.

There was another guy that duplicated my setup but did a Magnaflow instead, and regardless with whatever resonators he added on, it was too loud or annoyingly drones at certain RPM. He finally switched to a Borla and couldn't be happier.
Yeah I would stay away from magna flow, it just didn't sound right. I have no experience with Borla, but check out Remus too definitely, and compare it with the total borla price. Remus is probably over 1k but its gonna be great quality and have good sound not too loud.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Ok cool but for the quad do I run the right side pipe as a connector from the left side and cross/wrap around the spare or just get a pipe modded to come from the cat back or resignators back?

Quick Reply: Borla or Magnaflow????