E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New HPFP from recall gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
Problems are sadly not the exclusive domain of BMW.I can give you an equally long laundry list of problems with my former Audi,Saab and Volvo! If reliability is what you crave,go for Honda and be bored silly with your dependable ride.
I had a 2006 Lexus IS-350 just before I bought my BMW earlier this year. This Lexus has been the worst car I have had in term of issues and recalls. Here is the list:

1. Recall for seat belt.
2. Recall for fuel lines.
3. Rear shock absorber failure.
4. Recall to replace the pignon rack.
5. Recalled pignon rack failure.
6. Recall for galiper brakes rust problem.
7. Cam shaft replaced under a service bulletin.
8. Recall for valve spring that could fail.
9. Famous recall for the sudden acceleration.
10 Recall for brake fluid possible link.

That is a lot of problem in 4 years!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ben535xi
I had a 2006 Lexus IS-350 just before I bought my BMW earlier this year. This Lexus has been the worst car I have had in term of issues and recalls. Here is the list:

1. Recall for seat belt.
2. Recall for fuel lines.
3. Rear shock absorber failure.
4. Recall to replace the pignon rack.
5. Recalled pignon rack failure.
6. Recall for galiper brakes rust problem.
7. Cam shaft replaced under a service bulletin.
8. Recall for valve spring that could fail.
9. Famous recall for the sudden acceleration.
10 Recall for brake fluid possible link.

That is a lot of problem in 4 years!
Yeah, but your recalls were preventative. Your problems didnt leave you stranded in traffic pushing a 5000 pound car out of a busy intersection by yourself. Needless to say, people arent quick to help a guy in his mid 20s push his $60,000 chunk of metal to safety. I would have preferred a letter in the mail before finding out my car was a piece of shit the hard way.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craigm1841
Yeah, but your recalls were preventative. Your problems didnt leave you stranded in traffic pushing a 5000 pound car out of a busy intersection by yourself. Needless to say, people arent quick to help a guy in his mid 20s push his $60,000 chunk of metal to safety. I would have preferred a letter in the mail before finding out my car was a piece of shit the hard way.
Not only that, but when most companies have a recall they fix the problem. BMW has a HPFP recall and the problem still exists even with the new replaced HPFP. It obviously is a design flaw and their solution is to replace the shitty part with another shitty part.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Not only that, but when most companies have a recall they fix the problem. BMW has a HPFP recall and the problem still exists even with the new replaced HPFP. It obviously is a design flaw and their solution is to replace the shitty part with another shitty part.
I can only recall two people that have had problems with the newest hpfp. Do you know of more?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ProMed
I can only recall two people that have had problems with the newest hpfp. Do you know of more?
What kind of logic is that?

There is two in this very thread.

In case you didnt know, there are people who own BMWs that dont post on 5series.net. Using the "I only know of two" when there are tens of thousands of people around the world you havent polled yet seems pretty ridiculous.

I am willing to bet it is more than just two of us. In fact, the service driver at my dealer said they have taken in so many 335s and 535s for failed fuel pumps, to include his wifes 335.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Contributors

What kind of logic is that?

There is two in this very thread.

In case you didnt know, there are people who own BMWs that dont post on 5series.net. Using the "I only know of two" when there are tens of thousands of people around the world you havent polled yet seems pretty ridiculous.

I am willing to bet it is more than just two of us. In fact, the service driver at my dealer said they have taken in so many 335s and 535s for failed fuel pumps, to include his wifes 335.
Sorry that you were unable to follow my logic. The two in this thread are the two I am referring to as being the only ones I have read about. Of course there are more than 2 of you, obviously, however you and I will never know that real number. Instead the only thing we have to go off of are the posts made by the people that post here and on the other boards. Owning a 535i I've been following this on the 3 bmw forums I frequent since I bought it. Other than the two of you in this thread the only others issues I've read about were a result of poor installation by the techs.

For a long time there seemed to be several new hpfp threads every single day. Since the most recent hpfp was released in Dec 2010 and more and more guys have had them installed the number of issues has dropped off dramatically. Who knows, maybe you two will be the first of thousands that have problems with new hpfp? Time will tell, but for now you two are still the only two I have read about having problems with the newest hpfp.

I'm certainly not surprised the service driver said they have taken in "so many" failed fuel pumps given that there was a recall on almost every car I am sure there are still a large percentage of people still driving around on the old pumps. In my opinion it is flawed logic to assume that the newest hpfp is a failure after only two people have reported having an issue here. You can bet we will hear about when/if more of them start going bad. As you know, most people will not hesitate to post over and over when they start having problems.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Sorry that you were unable to follow my logic. The two in this thread are the two I am referring to as being the only ones I have read about. Of course there are more than 2 of you, obviously, however you and I will never know that real number. Instead the only thing we have to go off of are the posts made by the people that post here and on the other boards. Owning a 535i I've been following this on the 3 bmw forums I frequent since I bought it. Other than the two of you in this thread the only others issues I've read about were a result of poor installation by the techs.

For a long time there seemed to be several new hpfp threads every single day. Since the most recent hpfp was released in Dec 2010 and more and more guys have had them installed the number of issues has dropped off dramatically. Who knows, maybe you two will be the first of thousands that have problems with new hpfp? Time will tell, but for now you two are still the only two I have read about having problems with the newest hpfp.

I'm certainly not surprised the service driver said they have taken in "so many" failed fuel pumps given that there was a recall on almost every car I am sure there are still a large percentage of people still driving around on the old pumps. In my opinion it is flawed logic to assume that the newest hpfp is a failure after only two people have reported having an issue here. You can bet we will hear about when/if more of them start going bad. As you know, most people will not hesitate to post over and over when they start having problems.
It wasnt a recall, it was a warranty extension. BMW isnt just replacing fuel pumps. So unless you have a fuel pump problem, BMW isnt replacing it.

3 message boards dont even begin to create a reliable sample of 535 owners.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Contributors

It wasnt a recall, it was a warranty extension. BMW isnt just replacing fuel pumps. So unless you have a fuel pump problem, BMW isnt replacing it.
The HPFP is a recall and a warranty extension. Did you not get your recall paperwork yet? Maybe they still have a few to roll it out to.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Contributors

3 message boards dont even begin to create a reliable sample of 535 owners. dont be upset, we all bought pieces of shit.
Maybe not, but they are more reliable than two people on one board and word-of-mouth gossip.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Contributors

The HPFP is a recall and a warranty extension. Did you not get your recall paperwork yet? Maybe they still have a few to roll it out to.
I got the paperwork, it was only a warranty extension. Maybe they know I am on fuel pump #4 and didnt bother to send the recall paperwork.

Quick Reply: New HPFP from recall gone bad