E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New B/T TCU Installation - please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545
Model Year: 2004

Hi, all - sorry for the new thread, but wanted to post a new subject line to get a quick response =)

I have a 2-04 build - hence, a TCU that is not BT compatible.

Bought a new one from Gary - just arrived today.

But, every BMW dealership I call gives me a different price quote on an install??

Ranging from 600-800 bucks

From previous posts this install should only take like 30 minutes and then should only require an hour or so to re-program the TCU.

This should come out to say $200 bucks or so.

Anybody in Socal have this done and can give me a reference?

Or any type of specific documentation I can provide to the dealer saying what needs to be done in order for new TCU to be able to function?

What's the real story here, guys?

Very frustrating =/

I'd appreciate any help - thanks all!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Just wanted to update my post.

So, I just got back from Center BMW - what a refreshing experience!! I can't say enought about Dennis the SA and the dealership as a whole. I actually bought my car from there, but was a drive for service appts. Well to say the least - they will be seeing me from now on.

So, I went in there with the TCU from Gary. They told me it shouldnt take more the 1.5 hours to get my new TCU up and going with BT.
I go wait in their new lounge until my girl's ready to go. I get a call from Dennis and he says that the TCU is for a 7 series?? I was shocked as Gary's been great in the past - but, of course mistakes happen - no worries.

He then tells me that they have a 5 series TCU with BT in stock and quote me $500+ if I wanted ot buy it. I told him that I got the TCU from another dealership for $380.00 (that's $330 for the TCU and $50 for the core). He says let me see what I can do and gets back to me in 5 minutes. He says tell ya what I'll take care of you smiles then leaves.

Well 2 hours turn into 3 etc - due too programming issues (which all the dealerships would also be a problem). He said let me put you in a rental at his expense and he'll call me when the car's ready. I said grat - no problem. Well - more issues than they can count arise- and he has to keep the car overnight.

I finally got the car back today after over 10 hours of re-programming. The BT works like a charm with my BB 8820.

And the best part is - he still only charged me for 1.5 hours of labor - standing by his initial quote!!
And for the TCU you ask - $355.00!!

Unbelieveable!! - especially after other dealerships were going to charge me anywhere from $5-600 just for labor!

Anyways, I always give credit where credit is due - I couldn't be happier with the experience I received frm Center BMW!!

Just thought I'd share a non-stealership story on this forum for once =)

PS - Gary, who's always wonderful, apologized and is giving me a full refund for the 7 series TCU he shipped me.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by p3style' post='597897' date='Jun 7 2008, 05:05 PM
Just wanted to update my post.

So, I just got back from Center BMW - what a refreshing experience!! I can't say enought about Dennis the SA and the dealership as a whole. I actually bought my car from there, but was a drive for service appts. Well to say the least - they will be seeing me from now on.

So, I went in there with the TCU from Gary. They told me it shouldnt take more the 1.5 hours to get my new TCU up and going with BT.
I go wait in their new lounge until my girl's ready to go. I get a call from Dennis and he says that the TCU is for a 7 series?? I was shocked as Gary's been great in the past - but, of course mistakes happen - no worries.

He then tells me that they have a 5 series TCU with BT in stock and quote me $500+ if I wanted ot buy it. I told him that I got the TCU from another dealership for $380.00 (that's $330 for the TCU and $50 for the core). He says let me see what I can do and gets back to me in 5 minutes. He says tell ya what I'll take care of you smiles then leaves.

Well 2 hours turn into 3 etc - due too programming issues (which all the dealerships would also be a problem). He said let me put you in a rental at his expense and he'll call me when the car's ready. I said grat - no problem. Well - more issues than they can count arise- and he has to keep the car overnight.

I finally got the car back today after over 10 hours of re-programming. The BT works like a charm with my BB 8820.

And the best part is - he still only charged me for 1.5 hours of labor - standing by his initial quote!!
And for the TCU you ask - $355.00!!

Unbelieveable!! - especially after other dealerships were going to charge me anywhere from $5-600 just for labor!

Anyways, I always give credit where credit is due - I couldn't be happier with the experience I received frm Center BMW!!

Just thought I'd share a non-stealership story on this forum for once =)

PS - Gary, who's always wonderful, apologized and is giving me a full refund for the 7 series TCU he shipped me.
Can you give me the P/N of the TCU they put in your 5'er? I have yet to get the dealer to admit the new TCU they installed is the right one for BT and all I need is the retrofit. May '04 build with new TCU in 12/07 with ver 27 SW.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by meatzorb' post='598023' date='Jun 7 2008, 05:59 PM
Can you give me the P/N of the TCU they put in your 5'er? I have yet to get the dealer to admit the new TCU they installed is the right one for BT and all I need is the retrofit. May '04 build with new TCU in 12/07 with ver 27 SW.

Yes - part # is 84109120760.

They also installed the latest program rev (29).