E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

my idrive is frozen

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Ride : BMW Options : GO Straight, Left, OR Right

Originally Posted by azdgordon' post='716567' date='Nov 9 2008, 09:08 PM
Anyone else having the problem described in this thread? I suspect I've been struck with the same or a similar problem.

I was driving yesterday (a couple of hours after picking car up from BMW service) and heard a snap (sounded similar to a small rock hitting a windshield, which is what I initially thought it was). The NAV/entertainment screen went black. Over the next 45 minutes, it seemed to try to reboot several times, even asked if I wanted to resume navigation route, but went dead again each time. My cell phone had been sync'd via Bluetooth, but I was unable to dial out (or hear incoming callers) from the handset. When I reached destination and walked away from car, I heard the usual tone indicating my cell phone disconnected from the car's Bluetooth system. Since then, the cell phone doesn't re-synch when I'm in the car. This morning, the screen started for a few minutes, indicated there was a high battery drain (with the ! in triangle icon showing up), and soon went black again. This with less than 30,000 miles on the car - thought electronics like this should never fail in a car.

Back to the dealer in the morning! Thank goodness this is still under warranty. I've been a real fan of BMW's, but the expense of things that break or fail after the warranty expires, is very trying.

Hope this can be diagnosed and fixed easily and quickly, without a recurrence in a year.
It sounds like the problem lies on the NAV portion of the C.C.C. so if it is resetting, there is a good chance that the HIP module needs to be replaced or perhaps a complete CCC. What were you in for? Did they reprogram/update software of the vehicle? Look and physically check the battery connection. It may be possible that the tech had to perform a battery reset but forgot to tighten the terminals. I get cars from other dealers come in with similar situations and that's the problem. Another would be that the OPS (programmimg interface/head) was configured in the MOST bus. After programming and encoding, the MOST bus modules are configured so that everyone knows their place on the RING.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Members

Took car in to the dealer this morning. It is also showing the SOS not working function, on the dash between the speedometer and tachometer. Thank you BMW Tech for your input. If/when these various modules are replaced, are they less prone to failure than the original modules?

I'll advise results of the service visit to the dealership once I get the car back.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Members

I picked up my car Monday evening. Software had been updated, seemed okay except that the right part of the screen that usually shows the Nav screen when using communication or entertainment mode, or shows the upcoming turns when that option is selected in nav, didn't work. At home, I found I couldn't select the upcoming turn display option in the nav function. Went back out to the car 20 minutes later, and the display was dead again. And, the SOS inoperative signal came up again.

Took car back to dealer this morning, and they've had it all day. Stopped by late this afternoon and was told they had obtained approval to replace the CCC module, which they had done, and the software was being loaded. (I can't understand why loading software takes hours and hours, but I'm not questioning it - too many people here have said that it takes that long). Dealer gave me a loaner and hopefully this problem will be behind us by tomorrow afternoon.