5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   my idrive is frozen (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/my-idrive-frozen-64848/)

tblck543 11-06-2008 12:07 PM

I went to change a cd in my car and when i replaced the cd, nothing played and now my idrive seems to be frozen. It wont play any music at all. The idrive reads the number of tracks but wont play anything and the cd can be ejected in and out. I cant scroll through cd or am or fm, its just a frozen screen when I hit entertainment on my idrive controller. Can anyone help diagnose what happened?

porsche911targa 11-06-2008 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tblck543' post='714106' date='Nov 6 2008, 04:07 PM
I went to change a cd in my car and when i replaced the cd, nothing played and now my idrive seems to be frozen. It wont play any music at all. The idrive reads the number of tracks but wont play anything and the cd can be ejected in and out. I cant scroll through cd or am or fm, its just a frozen screen when I hit entertainment on my idrive controller. Can anyone help diagnose what happened?

The fastest thing you can do is to park your car, lock it, and try again after about 30 minutes. This will soft-reset your Idrive and everything should be back to normal. If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery for about one hour and try again. If that doesn't work still, then make an appointment with the dealer and expect to pay about $2200 for a new Idrive, if out of warranty. :(
Joe

rmcd 11-07-2008 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='714358' date='Nov 6 2008, 07:53 PM
The fastest thing you can do is to park your car, lock it, and try again after about 30 minutes. This will soft-reset your Idrive and everything should be back to normal. If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the battery for about one hour and try again. If that doesn't work still, then make an appointment with the dealer and expect to pay about $2200 for a new Idrive, if out of warranty. :(
Joe

Not sure about disconnecting the battery. There has been discussion on other threads about doing that when storing the car. Many seem to say not to. Regardless, it will certainly reset things if you do that. [topic="63524"]Storing an e60[/topic]

Another type of reset is to give the system the three-finger-salute to reboot. Yup, just like a PC and Cntl-Alt-Del. Press and hold the DVD eject button, then the CD eject button and then the power on button (mute/volume). Then release. That will cause the system to restart. Might clear up the problem.

Good luck.

porsche911targa 11-07-2008 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by rmcd' post='715321' date='Nov 7 2008, 06:22 PM
Not sure about disconnecting the battery. There has been discussion on other threads about doing that when storing the car. Many seem to say not to. Regardless, it will certainly reset things if you do that. [topic="63524"]Storing an e60[/topic]

Another type of reset is to give the system the three-finger-salute to reboot. Yup, just like a PC and Cntl-Alt-Del. Press and hold the DVD eject button, then the CD eject button and then the power on button (mute/volume). Then release. That will cause the system to restart. Might clear up the problem.

Good luck.

The three finger salute only applies to SAT/NAV equipped vehicles only, of course.

Gene 11-07-2008 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='715580' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:35 PM
The three finger salute only applies to SAT/NAV equipped vehicles only, of course.

3 finger salute.......sounds naughty....:devil:

http://blog.ugo.com/images/uploads/shocker-2.jpg

:lol: :P

tbal 11-07-2008 07:57 PM

lol

BMW_tech 11-07-2008 09:46 PM

MOST bus issues. Go to your nearest dealership and hope you get a tech like me figure out what the problem is. The least you should get is a SW update. If you don't get that, go to another dealership. Is this the original CCC in this car? If you must, I would suggest KEY ON and disconnecting the JUMPER PLUG so that it goes through the "roll call" motion rather than just resetting the CCC which may not CCC the rest of the MOST configured modules.

porsche911targa 11-08-2008 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by BMW_tech' post='715661' date='Nov 8 2008, 01:46 AM
MOST bus issues. Go to your nearest dealership and hope you get a tech like me figure out what the problem is. The least you should get is a SW update. If you don't get that, go to another dealership. Is this the original CCC in this car? If you must, I would suggest KEY ON and disconnecting the JUMPER PLUG so that it goes through the "roll call" motion rather than just resetting the CCC which may not CCC the rest of the MOST configured modules.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a JUMPER PLUG? That sounds kinda naughty, too. :D

rmcd 11-09-2008 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='715580' date='Nov 7 2008, 11:35 PM

Doens't everyone have sat/nav? :D

Good clarification. Thanks.

Cheers

azdgordon 11-09-2008 05:08 PM

Anyone else having the problem described in this thread? I suspect I've been struck with the same or a similar problem.

I was driving yesterday (a couple of hours after picking car up from BMW service) and heard a snap (sounded similar to a small rock hitting a windshield, which is what I initially thought it was). The NAV/entertainment screen went black. Over the next 45 minutes, it seemed to try to reboot several times, even asked if I wanted to resume navigation route, but went dead again each time. My cell phone had been sync'd via Bluetooth, but I was unable to dial out (or hear incoming callers) from the handset. When I reached destination and walked away from car, I heard the usual tone indicating my cell phone disconnected from the car's Bluetooth system. Since then, the cell phone doesn't re-synch when I'm in the car. This morning, the screen started for a few minutes, indicated there was a high battery drain (with the ! in triangle icon showing up), and soon went black again. This with less than 30,000 miles on the car - thought electronics like this should never fail in a car.

Back to the dealer in the morning! Thank goodness this is still under warranty. I've been a real fan of BMW's, but the expense of things that break or fail after the warranty expires, is very trying.

Hope this can be diagnosed and fixed easily and quickly, without a recurrence in a year.