E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2006 550i, loving it. A few irritations though

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:29 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i
Red face

Hi all,

Just became a proud owner of a Silver Grey 2006 BMW 550i. It is an 11/05 production. Does anyone know which software version would that be? Options are SPORT, NAVIGATION, HEATED SEATS, PREMIUM SOUND, SATELLITE RADIO, AUTO, COMFORT ACCESS, HUD, POWER SUNSHADE]. Debated a lot whether I should wait for the 07, but didn't see any practical advantage, plus I was able to save better on 06.

Really enjoying the car and all.

1. Have some serous issues with Braking. Just cannot seem to stop the car smoothly. Just before you think it will stop smoothly, it just GRABS on to the DISCS and jolts everyone. I thought something was wrong with my car, and then when I read here, people seem to be experiencing similar issues. IS THERE ANY SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE AS YET? It is very annoying.

2. I have PREMIUM SOUND, so it comes with 6 DISC CD CHANGER, which I really didn't need, but since it is there, I was trying to play MP3 CD's in it. THE CHANGER CANNOT PLAY MP3 CDS. Does anyone know if there is any fix for it, or is BMW planning to release any fix for this. I think I read somewhere on this post that BMW will come out with it on 03/06. Will it just be a SOFTWARE UPDATE?

3. The sudden slam of the Transmission when you are just about to stop, and then the light turns green, or you want to pass someone up, and the transmission suddenly downshifts, and a terrible jolt is felt. Again I thought something was wrong with my car, but as I read this forum, I believe that to date there is solution.

But I am hoping to find some solution for atlease number 1. It is really annoying to own a car for 70K+ and not being able to stop it smoothly.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

Originally Posted by the_maxx_guy' post='249647' date='Mar 4 2006, 06:29 AM
Hi all,

Just became a proud owner of a Silver Grey 2006 BMW 550i. It is an 11/05 production. Does anyone know which software version would that be? Options are SPORT, NAVIGATION, HEATED SEATS, PREMIUM SOUND, SATELLITE RADIO, AUTO, COMFORT ACCESS, HUD, POWER SUNSHADE]. Debated a lot whether I should wait for the 07, but didn't see any practical advantage, plus I was able to save better on 06.

Really enjoying the car and all.

1. Have some serous issues with Braking. Just cannot seem to stop the car smoothly. Just before you think it will stop smoothly, it just GRABS on to the DISCS and jolts everyone. I thought something was wrong with my car, and then when I read here, people seem to be experiencing similar issues. IS THERE ANY SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE AS YET? It is very annoying.

2. I have PREMIUM SOUND, so it comes with 6 DISC CD CHANGER, which I really didn't need, but since it is there, I was trying to play MP3 CD's in it. THE CHANGER CANNOT PLAY MP3 CDS. Does anyone know if there is any fix for it, or is BMW planning to release any fix for this. I think I read somewhere on this post that BMW will come out with it on 03/06. Will it just be a SOFTWARE UPDATE?

3. The sudden slam of the Transmission when you are just about to stop, and then the light turns green, or you want to pass someone up, and the transmission suddenly downshifts, and a terrible jolt is felt. Again I thought something was wrong with my car, but as I read this forum, I believe that to date there is solution.

But I am hoping to find some solution for atlease number 1. It is really annoying to own a car for 70K+ and not being able to stop it smoothly.
1)Eventually my brakes broke in and this problem seemed to mitigate. Suggest some strong braking runs to clean off some of the crud and seat the brake pads
2) No MP3 in changer yet that I know
3) Never had the sudden slam, but there is a fix I believe with a softward update.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I have not experienced the braking or transmission issue to date, and have not yet used the CD changer. I'm sure the problems can be resolved.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:08 AM
Members

For #2 - You have NAV, so that means you have a DVD slot. You can burn a data DVD of MP3 files and play them through your DVD drive (but you can't navigate somewhere at the same time). One DVD holds more than 6 CD's.

From what I've been reading, our CD changers will never play MP3's. Anything that gets "fixed" in 03/06 means that cars manufactured starting in 03/06 might get different CD changers. Of course, maybe the "fix" is that BMW has made the Logic7 available without the CD changer starting in 03/06.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Your car may have CIP version 19xx... mine is sep prod and had 19xx (I think)
1- never had that problem with the brakes on my, maybe because I broke into them too soon driving her a bit too hard
2-I dont use Mp3 but I have read in the forums that the CIP20 update will enable that.. i Use my IPOD thru the AUX connector or satellite only (not even the radio anymore)
3- I felt that little jolt with the transmission which i felt a bit rough. the last upgrade (CIP20.0) took care of that. Make sure you mention that to your SA so they refresh the transmission software. YOu will also read that the CIP20.0 may slow your car, which at the beginning i felt it a bit, but the computer re-learns quickly.

beside that, the car is blast to drive, now the only things rattleling in mycar are my kids toys
Old 03-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Answer to #1
I belive it is just down to the fact your brakes are new. Some very aggressive use of the brakes should sort this out. Another reason may be down to the fact bmw added the new braking module that has some kind of soft stop like the mb e-class. this may be contributing to the strange braking of your car.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

I will check on getting the CIP updated. I hope the #1 issue can be solved.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Dont know but I had that problem driving several of the loner cars equipped with DSC+ which has the comfort stop. I didnt like how it stopped. I could never get it to stop smoothly. They had like over 6000 miles on them and I'm sure people who drove loners dont really treat the brake pedal like theres an egg in between it. I know I didnt!

MP3 capability in the CD changer wont be availabe till march 2007 Yes March 2007 and I'm guessing its due to the hardware not software... just like how Business Radio cant play MP3s period! Like mine... and Only Professional Radio can. So dont bother trying to figure out how your CD Changer will be able to play MP3s it WONT. On the hand with a Software update Progman 20+ your regular CD in dash slot will play MP3s and your DVD slot will also. That should be enough to keep you happy.

Yes Software update should fix this also. Its been reported here a few times...

Sorry... try what other have said... use the brakes a little harder and see if they'll break in...

How hard / rough is the stop right now? Just not perfectly smooth or does it really grab alot and throw you forward? Now answer honestly... cuz I know how problems can be easily elevated when its somthing that isnt to your satisifaction. I'm not accusing you or anything but I just honestly want to know how bad it is.

Like I said on the loners that I drove they wernt that bad. I can feel the sudden grab but its not to the point where it will throw me forward. I didnt like it because I cant control the end of the braking like how I can with non DSC+ cars.