E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Logic7 Sound Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Firstly, let me say how much more civilized this DB is compared to the RoadFly E60 board. Let me also add my overall opinion on the E60.

Personally, I love it. I think the front-end looks incredible. My only comment (it's not even a complaint) is that I wish the grill were integrated into the hood and not the bumper. The hood-line that cuts across the top of the headlights and the grills really breaks up the flow of the front of the car. Having said this, the integrated grill/hood is only present in one generation of 5er's.

The trunk area, while a little discontinuous, looks very similar (especially from the rear) to the E39. The tradeoff for so much more trunk-space is that cut-line that goes down the side from the C-pillar to the rear lights. I'm fine with that, and the right color will deemphasize that.

I think the interior looks good as well, apart from a few areas where the material might be a bit sub-par (the window switch plate is the most egregious example of this). However, the only interior colors I have seen are beige and grey and beige plastic of any quality looks like crap. I'll bet the black interior looks pretty good. Regarding the supposedly terrible build-quality, I think that the interior is assembled about as well as it can be. In the 4 or 5 times I've sat in one, I haven't noticed one issue relating to the quality of the assembly.

As to the absence of controls, I think it's refreshing to see a car cockpit that doesn't look like a 60's era fighter. When I juxtapose the E60 interior against a VW or Audi or the new TL or (heaven forbid) the new E, all the others look cluttered with buttons where the E60 looks nice and clean. This is the 21st century, and multifunction displays and input devices are the future. Somehow, I think the most vocal opponents of the I-Drive system don't realize that there are 2 user-configurable buttons on the steering wheel. I find the I-Drive interface to be quite intuitive.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02. Now on to my question...

As I wait for my production slot supporting NAV and HUD to be available, I am pondering some of the other options that I want for my 545i/6sp. I think that I will get the CWP (if for no other reason than the thicker steering wheel), and I am conflicted about getting the Logic7 sound package.

What is the conventional wisdom on this package? How does it compare to even a modest aftermarket system? Are the "subs" really subs, or are they like the 6x9 "subs" in the E46 HK audio upgrade? What kind of extra tuning options are there with the Logic7 package? Is there any kind of EQ beyond simple Bass/Treble adjustments?

Thanks for the opinions.
-Matthew
Old 10-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Members

Smile

MrBelk,
I must as agree with you on the issue with those on Roadfly ... it's like a 3rd grade class room over there!! Could hardly make good sense with their rantings. Anyway ... hope this board remains logical and sane.

On the logic7 ... well well ... how many of us love HiFi in the true sense of it? I would like to assume all on this board and all who choose to own BMWs. Here I must let those that MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!!! in BMW know that we would like to see a bit more in this department. I'm used to listening to music from very high quality instruments etc and I was least impressed with the logic7 in the 745i a month ago. Now you could blame this on the setup, settings etc or even the sales man, but a good trained ear can tell what a speaker is doing and what the proccessor is dishing out. Please don't get me wrong, the production is very good, but I did not get that "WOWWWW!!!, UUUHHHH!!! or OOHHH! My Goodness!!! What a delight! I get from listening to my sound system at home. Sure, reproduction in a car would never really match that coming from your system at home, but I have listen to those in other cars. A very good example is the Grand Cherokee. Simple system with very good speakers (Infinity) and what a difference the made. Now tell me why BMW cannot do that in a $50K car???? <_< Probably they think we ought to be driving and not listening to music As per controls I'd assume it'll have the same setup to that found in the 745i, base, trebble, graphic freq level control, preset spatializer, etc.

BMW wake up! I hate to love everyother thing and manage the music
Old 10-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Members

actually the Logic 7 system uses Infinity "Metal Matrix" speakers. the subs are 8"woofers under the front seats, also adds 3 more speakers, a center and two in the rear doors

I also read it uses a Lexicon amp, but not sure if thats true

conclusion: everything is so integrated in the car, you don't really have a choice. if audio is important to you, get the system.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Members

To add my couple the system does sound very good and is flexible. It does have an equalizer, you have to go down 2+ levels of the i-drive to adjust. Seven bands I believe (can't remember without being in the car). Also has the normal bass and treble controls. Once you get your basic setting on the eq then you can quickly adjust for radio/cd differences here.

Sound is very good compared to the system I had in my 2001 530i. Much clearer and with the eq you can fit all tastes. I believe at $1800 it is a little steep, but as mentioned before you have little choice if you want premium sound.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Just to add a little more to the mix. I listened to both systems, and I really could tell the difference between two. I didn't think I would be able to, but I could. The basic system sounded as though when the volume increased, the system struggles to put out quality sound. However, Premium sound package sounded very rich and just seemed to hold its quality as the volume increased. I did adjust both to make sure that the setup was not bad for the basic, so I set both equalizers equally and the premium is definitely better...I think the salesman said it is basically a better set of speaker (plus a few extra) and a better amplifier.

The thing I don't like about the system is where the CD cartridge is placed(in the very back of the glove box). That is my only gripe, but if you put in your music before you are rolling, everything should be OK, plus I would be more likely to use the slot anyway. I figure you can upgrade speakers and amplifier later, but the system sounded pretty good to me, and I would rather get it up front, although I hadn't planned on it.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Members

logicman,

i think your the first person ive seen that wasnt totally impressed with logic 7. i am, but i may not have had the experience with high end home sound systems. i will say this. check the posts on the roadfly e65 forum or even ask for yourself. ill bet you a crisp $1 that everyone will call logic 7 a must have.

good luck mrbelk in your decision and everyone else take care.

steven
Old 10-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Members

Hi All,

All said about the logic7 is very true. Its sure did sound better and performed better than the premium sound package in the e39 with DSP and all. Guess I was expecting a bit more from BMW in line with their bold radical step in automotive designe and prowess. For all music lovers ... logic7 is a must and personally I'm heading that route. Too bad the setup gives little room for upgrades.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

All,

Thanks for the good anecdotal info. Looks like I will be getting the Logic7 upgrade. Before I got my 330i, I had some pretty decent aftermarket gear and I have never been satisfied with the stock 3er sound.

Of course, I got married before I got the 330, but after I put the system in my previous car, so the discretionary income to put in a good aftermarket system went right to Dillard's and Rich's and Ann Taylor. Logic7 might allow me to "bury the audio system," so to speak.

Maybe I'll head over to my dealer and see if they have one with the Logic7 and pop a few CD's in to see how it sounds.

Take care all,
Matthew
Old 10-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Members

Does the "standard" (non-Logic7) sound allow you to put in an aftermarket (or BMW) multi-cd changer in, say, the trunk or something and have it be controlled reasonably from the cockpit/iDrive/whatever?

I'm not that much of an audio-nut, but I do like being able to preload a bunch of cd's for a journey.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

Just wanted to add my voice to the common concensus that the Roadfly board has been hijacked by a bunch of whining schoolkids. How can a serious adult who appreciates good driving dynamics seriously compare a rebadged Honda to a BMW? Someone stop them before they convince the board of BMW AG to (god forbid!) dumb down their cars.

Back on subject I haven't managed to hear the logic 7 sound system but did read an article in Autocar magazine where a hi-fi expert was asked to carry out a test of the top end sound systems in a 7 series, Audi A8, Jaguar Xj8 and a M Benz S class. The Logic 7 scored fairly high as I recall.

I have had my car fitted with the BMW Hi-Fi speaker upgrade system and there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality over the standard set up.

Quick Reply: Logic7 Sound Questions