E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 on CCC

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:06 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 4 2005, 01:02 PM
With CCC there is a nav conflict! That's what they are currently working on. When playing MP3 music, the nav doesn't function correctly, or the music doesn't play correctly.
Then why is BMWNA claiming that as of 09/05 production (or 10/05, depending on which bulletin you believe), cars WITH Navigation in the US (i.e., Nav Pro) can play MP3s?

Does anyone have a 09/05 production or newer vehicle with Navigation in the US to verify this with?

Or do we think that earlier, perhaps BMW *thought* they'd have it done by this time, but now in fact don't, and that this is just inaccurate or outdated information?

If it requires a hardware upgrade as you say, perhaps post-09/05 or -10/05 vehicles have this new hardware?

Either way, I guess we'll know for sure when I get my car, which is the first week of October production...
Old 10-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 4 2005, 08:06 PM
Then why is BMWNA claiming that as of 09/05 production (or 10/05, depending on which bulletin you believe), cars WITH Navigation in the US (i.e., Nav Pro) can play MP3s?

Does anyone have a 09/05 production or newer vehicle with Navigation in the US to verify this with?

Or do we think that earlier, perhaps BMW *thought* they'd have it done by this time, but now in fact don't, and that this is just inaccurate or outdated information?

If it requires a hardware upgrade as you say, perhaps post-09/05 or -10/05 vehicles have this new hardware?

Either way, I guess we'll know for sure when I get my car, which is the first week of October production...
[snapback]179254[/snapback]
BMW NA doesn't get too many insides from Munich, I guess.

Anyways, there are rumor that the first cars have left the factory with working MP3 playback on CCC's. Rumors though...

I guss we all have to wait and see...

My latest info is: MP3 not before end of November or mid December with CIP 20. Maybe not for all cars with CCC, just for the newer ones.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Oct 4 2005, 12:12 PM
For interest October parts programme shows no change for october built cars CCC
[snapback]179195[/snapback]
interesting....spent some time on bmwtis, nothing there on the issue.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by akirax' date='Oct 4 2005, 02:12 PM
[quote name='E60Speed' date='Oct 4 2005, 12:12 PM']For interest October parts programme shows no change for october built cars CCC
[snapback]179297[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, probably because it's not in a released codebase. To the best of my knowledge, these anecdotes of problem behavior are from pre-release testing. The changes may not have made it as far as a TIS update yet.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 4 2005, 04:30 PM
[quote name='akirax' date='Oct 4 2005, 02:12 PM'][quote name='E60Speed' date='Oct 4 2005, 12:12 PM']For interest October parts programme shows no change for october built cars CCC
[snapback]179297[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, probably because it's not in a released codebase. To the best of my knowledge, these anecdotes of problem behavior are from pre-release testing. The changes may not have made it as far as a TIS update yet.
[snapback]179329[/snapback]
[/quote]

also, I only find service bulletins but not dealer bulletins on bmwtis.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

Was one of the changes for September of 2006 production vehicles a new CCC? I remember reading here that someones stated the CCCs were updated. If this is the case, then the NAV cars are probably awaiting software fixes to make it compatible with the originally conflicting Nav system. The non-nav cars not having this problem have already been able to accomodate this. My gues is that the decompression of MP3 files may be too taxing for the CCC to process and decompress the NAV system files at the same time. The processor in these units is probably more along the lines of a Pocket PC than a regular PC, so multi-tasking may have limitations. We know that the i-drive system is not the fastes. I can only guess that MP3 decompression and conversion would further task this system.

Can someone confirm the accuracy of 2006 vehicles having upgraded CCCs....

Thanks

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 4 2005, 09:06 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Oct 4 2005, 01:02 PM']With CCC there is a nav conflict! That's what they are currently working on. When playing MP3 music, the nav doesn't function correctly, or the music doesn't play correctly.

[snapback]179254[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Well saw MP3 on a Pro NAV equiped 3 Series today, it worked great even while it was navigating
Old 10-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:02 PM
OK, once again...?

BMW offers the following:

Radio Business, the standard radio in EU, it also has been the standard radio in the US until March05, AFAIK
Radio Professional, the new standard radio in the USA, AFAIK, which also comes as standard if you get Navigation. Radio Professional can play MP3's and has two tuners, is scanning the frequencys for radio stations that are listed in a menu "all stations".

The radios have nothing to do with the sound system. The sound systems are:

Standard
Hi-Fi
Logic7

In the USA the standard is Hi-Fi

Those sound systems can be combined with radio pro OR radio bus. They have nothing to do with MP3 playback availability.

Then there are two Nav systems:

Navigation Business, which is not available in the USA. It does not offer a map display, just arrows.
Navigation Professional, the standard nav in the USA, which has the map display and the bigger screen.

Both nav systems come with radio PRO as standard radio.

This means for US cars, if you order nav, you get nav pro, radio pro, Hi-Fi. If you don't order nav you get radio pro, Hi-Fi.

The nav bus comes with the small screen and the nav pro with the big screen with split screen. For the in EU optional TV tuner nav pro is required, since nav bus can't handle the images.

Without nav or with bus nav you get the MAS-K computer, with nav pro you get the CCC. MAS-K comes from BECKER and CCC from SiemensVDO.

For MP3 playback the radio pro is required, since only the radio pro can handle MP3 files. This has nothing to do with the nav you have or not, and it has nothing to do with the sound system you have or not. If you have radio pro, you have a radio unit that can handle MP3 files.
In order to do so, the software needs to be up to date. With MAS-K and radio pro you CAN play MP3's as of today, since the software now has the MP3 playback ability. With CCC there is a nav conflict! That's what they are currently working on. When playing MP3 music, the nav doesn't function correctly, or the music doesn't play correctly.

I hope now everything is clear...?
[snapback]179252[/snapback]
*polite applause*
Old 10-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

It is a fact that as CIP software updates advance, compatibility issues with existing firmware of modules in the car will be more prevalent.

The MP3 capability on CCC cars is probably the first obvious case of a software update requiring raised levels of firmware revision in hardware already in the cars.

Whilst the software updates will electronically install OK, the new features (whatever they may be in the future) will not be available unless the corresponding piece of hardware is upgraded to a newer firmware revision as well.

The question is clear - who will have to pay for the upgraded hardware components?

My gut feeling is that unless you have it in writing from BMW that your car WILL play MP3s, not "COULD", BMW will probably take the view that this is an added feature to your car and as such require you to pay for the upgraded CCC component/s. BMW's line will probably be that MP3 was not in the original set of features at the time when you bought your car.

The situation here with MP3 COULD manifest itself in the future in the form of Nightvision retrofit, etc.. Imagine what will happen "IF" BMW were to say "Nightvision can be retrofitted but you have to update the CCC, iDrive Screen etc, etc.." ???

Going back to the MP3 issue... in the case of my car.. I know that the actual CD Drive slot will support MP3 discs whereas previously built cars don't. BUT in any case, if Iceman is correct and the CCC itself needs to be replaced, then I'll have to replace it if MP3 playability is important to me...

It's OK for BMW to make money from its customers, BUT not in this kind of way I think....

Just my thoughts...

All the Best

Hobi
Old 10-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Members

We are 2 days into October builds, By the end of the week I'll be interested in knowing if cars coming off the assembly line w/NaV can play MP3s.

Quick Reply: MP3 on CCC