E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 on CCC

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Oct 3 2005, 11:46 PM
What's the difference between Pro and Business radio?? As I recall, the only choices I had were "standard" and "Logic7"...? I know I didn't get Logic7, but what are the distinguishing characteristics of the Pro radio (I do have the weather band and RDS...).
[snapback]178743[/snapback]
In EU we have those two options.

Pro radio has two tuners. One is scanning all the time and you have an "all stations" menu... Also, it can play MP3's...
Old 10-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 3 2005, 03:28 PM
[quote name='amigo525' date='Oct 3 2005, 06:44 PM']So you can play mp3 wit NON Nav? how sweet!? I better create few mp3 cds
[snapback]178595[/snapback]
It should work.
There are reports from the US that the E60 has pro radio as standard since March05. So, if you didin't ordered nav, you'll probably get pro radio and can play MP3's.
[snapback]178736[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks 'hombre de hielo ..or iceman in English'
Old 10-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Members

So, when I go into a dealer and ask for a fully loaded car with the pro logic 7 and nav, I figure I am getting the unit that can play back mp3s. It's in the manual, it's in the marketing materials. I felt completely confident that my car would play mp3s. Why wouldn't it? Would it make sense for the standard radio to play mp3s but not the top of the line one? Of course not. This annoys the hell out of me. I asked my repair rep at my dealer about it today and her tone got very brisk where before she was very sweet. She just said mp3 playback is not available on my car and wouldn't elaborate even when I told her I had read here that it would be available in October via software upgrade.

So what are my options? an iPod in the glove box connected to an aux input that has to be installed by a 3rd party? Even if BMW can give me an aux input, I will have to select the songs using the iPod interface rather than the iDrive. Friggin unacceptable.

So I just did a quick search to see what a basic deck that can play mp3s costs... About 80 bucks.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Not to rub salt in the wounds of you CCC equiped drivers - but I just got MP3 working on my car (Bus Navi + Pro Radio) and I just can't stop grinning. It works an absolute treat

Some notes :

- Read/Write CDs are OK so you can modify the discs.
- If you put the MP3s on the disc in folders then you can navigate the folders as if they are seprate albums.

Sound quality is pretty good too !
Old 10-04-2005, 02:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D, auto, xenon, navsat pro, brown leather, pd, hifi, heated seats, sun-screens

Originally Posted by dcarlile' date='Oct 4 2005, 03:05 AM
? ?

So, when I go into a dealer and ask for a fully loaded car with the pro logic 7 and nav, I figure I am getting the unit that can play back mp3s. It's in the manual, it's in the marketing materials. I felt completely confident that my car would play mp3s. Why wouldn't it? Would it make sense for the standard radio to play mp3s but not the top of the line one? Of course not. This annoys the hell out of me. I asked my repair rep at my dealer about it today and her tone got very brisk where before she was very sweet. She just said mp3 playback is not available on my car and wouldn't elaborate even when I told her I had read here that it would be available in October via software upgrade.

So what are my options? an iPod in the glove box connected to an aux input that has to be installed by a 3rd party? Even if BMW can give me an aux input, I will have to select the songs using the iPod interface rather than the iDrive. Friggin unacceptable.

So I just did a quick search to see what a basic deck that can play mp3s costs... About 80 bucks.
[snapback]178853[/snapback]

So, I decided to ask my dealer today as well, I have nav pro and gotten the guarantee it would be a software upgrade earlier on when I ordered the car (in June 05), hence decided not to install a CD changer (call me cheap but hey, I'm Dutch ;-) They told me today that there has been lots of confusion with the dealers as well but that now it is clear that with my car it will be a software upgrade in December. No hardware upgrade required.

go figure...
Old 10-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributors

In EU we have those two options.

Pro radio has two tuners. One is scanning all the time and you have an "all stations" menu... Also, it can play MP3's...
[snapback]178746[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did not get that too cleared. More information please?

As far as I know in usa we have hifi and logi7. I dont know how to distinguish between business and pro.

More information please or a link with explainations will be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Touring, pro nav, Logic7, leather, 18 inch, steptronic

Left teh car to the dealer today... upgrading... I have Nav pro, will let you know, but they have said "no mp3" already...
Old 10-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

For interest October parts programme shows no change for october built cars CCC
Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

To further complicate the situation:

Subject: RE: Products and Services [1-311128111]
Date: October 4, 2005 10:53:35 AM CDT
To: das@doit.wisc.edu

Dear Mr. Schroeder:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. We appreciate your inquiry.

Actually, MP3 capability was available to E60 5 Series vehicles, with the navigation system, as of 9/05 production. After checking your production number, I have confirmed that your vehicle is listed as a week 40 production. The listing of the production week for a vehicle is dependent on when the production is completed, not when it begins.

Unfortunately, we do not have technical information regarding the software programs which are in your vehicle. We suggest discussing your inquiry with your service department at your local BMW center, once you receive your vehicle.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Adam Fischer
Customer Relations and Services
Representative
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Oct 4 2005, 01:43 PM
I did not get that too cleared. More information please?

As far as I know in usa we have hifi and logi7. I dont know how to distinguish between business and pro.

More information please or? a link with explainations will be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
[snapback]179091[/snapback]
OK, once again...

BMW offers the following:

Radio Business, the standard radio in EU, it also has been the standard radio in the US until March05, AFAIK
Radio Professional, the new standard radio in the USA, AFAIK, which also comes as standard if you get Navigation. Radio Professional can play MP3's and has two tuners, is scanning the frequencys for radio stations that are listed in a menu "all stations".

The radios have nothing to do with the sound system. The sound systems are:

Standard
Hi-Fi
Logic7

In the USA the standard is Hi-Fi

Those sound systems can be combined with radio pro OR radio bus. They have nothing to do with MP3 playback availability.

Then there are two Nav systems:

Navigation Business, which is not available in the USA. It does not offer a map display, just arrows.
Navigation Professional, the standard nav in the USA, which has the map display and the bigger screen.

Both nav systems come with radio PRO as standard radio.

This means for US cars, if you order nav, you get nav pro, radio pro, Hi-Fi. If you don't order nav you get radio pro, Hi-Fi.

The nav bus comes with the small screen and the nav pro with the big screen with split screen. For the in EU optional TV tuner nav pro is required, since nav bus can't handle the images.

Without nav or with bus nav you get the MAS-K computer, with nav pro you get the CCC. MAS-K comes from BECKER and CCC from SiemensVDO.

For MP3 playback the radio pro is required, since only the radio pro can handle MP3 files. This has nothing to do with the nav you have or not, and it has nothing to do with the sound system you have or not. If you have radio pro, you have a radio unit that can handle MP3 files.
In order to do so, the software needs to be up to date. With MAS-K and radio pro you CAN play MP3's as of today, since the software now has the MP3 playback ability. With CCC there is a nav conflict! That's what they are currently working on. When playing MP3 music, the nav doesn't function correctly, or the music doesn't play correctly.

I hope now everything is clear...

Quick Reply: MP3 on CCC