E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 on CCC

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005 | 02:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:46 PM
[quote name='Bambi' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:29 AM']jmdhuse:
Are you saying your CD deck can read mp3 disc on a non-nav E60? What did you do to get that working? Only CIP upgrade? If yes, which version?
Or do you HAVE to have aux input installed before mp3 start working??
[snapback]177647[/snapback]
I can't tell you if MP3s played before the Aux Install or not... I only tried it afterwards and it worked. But I don't think the aux input has anything directly to do with the ability to play MP3s. And yes, it is a non-Nav system. I didn't ask what version of CIP was installed (I don't think I new much about that because the car was so new to me at the time...).

I didn't do anything special - the system selects the CD as input when I put a disk in it and it will display the list of song titles on the iDrive screen. I made a CD with MP3s in named folders, and the system only saw the 1st folder, but if I just put the MP3s onto the disk without separating them into folders then they are all available to play.

Cheers, Jon.
[snapback]177757[/snapback]
[/quote]

jmdhuse,

Did you burn the CD as a audio CD or a mp3 (data) CD?
The difference being you can fit hundreds of mp3s on a mp3 burned CD whereas you can only fit 74 mins worth on an audio CD.

If you take that CD and stick it into a PC, you should be able to see the individual files you burned whereas an audio CD just shows place holders equal to the number of songs on the CD.

Also when you burn a MP3 CD, you have to select "burn MP3 Data" versus "burn Audio CD" in most software.

Check this thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16455&st=45
Old 10-01-2005 | 03:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by akirax' date='Oct 1 2005, 03:45 PM
[quote name='jmdhuse' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:46 PM'][quote name='Bambi' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:29 AM']jmdhuse:
Are you saying your CD deck can read mp3 disc on a non-nav E60? What did you do to get that working? Only CIP upgrade? If yes, which version?
I can't tell you if MP3s played before the Aux Install or not... I only tried it afterwards and it worked. But I don't think the aux input has anything directly to do with the ability to play MP3s. And yes, it is a non-Nav system. I didn't ask what version of CIP was installed (I don't think I new much about that because the car was so new to me at the time...).

I didn't do anything special - the system selects the CD as input when I put a disk in it and it will display the list of song titles on the iDrive screen. I made a CD with MP3s in named folders, and the system only saw the 1st folder, but if I just put the MP3s onto the disk without separating them into folders then they are all available to play.

Cheers, Jon.
[/quote]

jmdhuse,

The difference being you can fit hundreds of mp3s on a mp3 burned CD whereas you can only fit 74 mins worth on an audio CD.

If you take that CD and stick it into a PC, you should be able to see the individual files you burned whereas an audio CD just shows place holders equal to the number of songs on the CD.

Also when you burn a MP3 CD, you have to select "burn MP3 Data" versus "burn Audio CD" in most software.

Check this thread:
[snapback]177867[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did burn the CD as an MP3 CD - I use Sony's SonicStage software and ripped the tunes from the orginal CDs as MP3 files, then burned a MP3 CD. I put 3 or 4 full CDs worth of tunes on the MP3 CD (I could have put more, but I was just experimenting).

Most of the time I use the AuxInput with my Sony Minidisc player...

Jon.
Old 10-01-2005 | 03:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Oct 1 2005, 06:35 PM
[quote name='akirax' date='Oct 1 2005, 03:45 PM'][quote name='jmdhuse' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:46 PM'][quote name='Bambi' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:29 AM']jmdhuse:

Cheers, Jon.
[/quote]

jmdhuse,

Check this thread:
[/quote]

I did burn the CD as an MP3 CD - I use Sony's SonicStage software and ripped the tunes from the orginal CDs as MP3 files, then burned a MP3 CD. I put 3 or 4 full CDs worth of tunes on the MP3 CD (I could have put more, but I was just experimenting).

Jon.
[snapback]177883[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply...
Old 10-01-2005 | 06:18 PM
Contributors

Off topic:

I am glad that now all the 5 series will come with 'The vertical slats on the kidney greilled in chrome" Sweet
Old 10-02-2005 | 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by akirax' date='Oct 1 2005, 06:46 PM
[quote name='jmdhuse' date='Oct 1 2005, 06:35 PM'][quote name='akirax' date='Oct 1 2005, 03:45 PM'][quote name='jmdhuse' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:46 PM'][quote name='Bambi' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:29 AM']jmdhuse:

Cheers, Jon.
[/quote]

jmdhuse,

Check this thread:
[/quote]

Jon.
[snapback]177883[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply...
[snapback]177890[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jmdhuse and I have similar cars that were built at around the same time. Mine hasn't seen the dealer since delivery (no aux in service) and it has played MP3s since day one. I can get about 11 full CDs on a single CDR. The concensus is that the 2006 MY cars produced since March 05 have Pro radio - mine has weather band, RDS, etc...
Old 10-02-2005 | 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

From day one for me...before the AUX In was up and running...has no baring on MP3 playback (other than external device).

Manged 156 tracks on an 80min CD, depends on track size and rate..
Old 10-03-2005 | 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by mixterk' date='Oct 2 2005, 05:26 PM
From day one for me...before the AUX In was up and running...has no baring on MP3 playback (other than external device).

Manged 156 tracks on an 80min CD, depends on track size and rate..
[snapback]178269[/snapback]

Understood, but someone asked and I think there was a bit of confusion about whether or not jmdhuse's car had undergone any code or programming updates during install that may have impacted MP3. I was attempting to say the same thing, I guess it would have been ok to mention what you did as well though.
Old 10-03-2005 | 08:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Sep 30 2005, 07:18 PM
[quote name='akirax' date='Sep 30 2005, 06:06 PM'][quote name='amigo525' date='Sep 30 2005, 05:33 PM']from: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachmen...achmentid=54564 it appears as if the new e60 starting in Sept will have mp3 on the standard cd?

How sweet!~?
[snapback]177545[/snapback]
i thought non-NAV e60 has MP3 starting September
with NAV'd e60 with MP3 support starting October, next week

and as for pre-october builds, no word if those need a hardware upgrade or not.
Since the bulletin say MP3 october build, is it possible that october builds get the upgraded CCC. What is special about oct builds? versus sept builds?

My entire ED trip is on hold because I requested an October build car and a sept build is what completed production...

Did BMW think a software upgrade would be available by Oct or did they know the car required a upgraded CCC 2 months ago and Oct is the amount of time it may take to get those onto the asembly line.....?
[snapback]177594[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmmm, my US-spec, April-build, May-delivered, July-CIP upgrade to install Aux Input (non-Nav, in-dash single-disc CD) play MP3 disks just fine...

Jon.
[snapback]177599[/snapback]
[/quote]

So you can play mp3 wit NON Nav? how sweet! I better create few mp3 cds
Old 10-03-2005 | 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Oct 3 2005, 06:44 PM
So you can play mp3 wit NON Nav? how sweet!? I better create few mp3 cds
[snapback]178595[/snapback]
It should work.
There are reports from the US that the E60 has pro radio as standard since March05. So, if you didin't ordered nav, you'll probably get pro radio and can play MP3's.
Old 10-03-2005 | 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 3 2005, 02:28 PM
[quote name='amigo525' date='Oct 3 2005, 06:44 PM']So you can play mp3 wit NON Nav? how sweet!? I better create few mp3 cds
[snapback]178595[/snapback]
It should work.
There are reports from the US that the E60 has pro radio as standard since March05. So, if you didin't ordered nav, you'll probably get pro radio and can play MP3's.
[snapback]178736[/snapback]
[/quote]
What's the difference between Pro and Business radio? As I recall, the only choices I had were "standard" and "Logic7"... I know I didn't get Logic7, but what are the distinguishing characteristics of the Pro radio (I do have the weather band and RDS...).

Cheers, Jon.

Quick Reply: MP3 on CCC