E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI sports paddle shift is here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

That's hot....!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

My understanding is the Sport Auto Trans will work in this fashion:

Drive Mode (normal)
Drive Sport Mode (knock the gear shift to the left just like Step Sport use gear shift and/or paddles for shifts)
Drive Sport Mode (Dynamic Drive Mode?) (this is activated by pressing the sport button by the gearshift and throws the car into the NEW mode we are all trying to speculate about includes, sportier steering, gears optimally utilized, yada yada, yada yada)

I could be misinterpreting this

Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='441405' date='Jun 29 2007, 06:05 PM
Let me ask again.

Does the box change up and down just as quickly if you use the steptronic rather than the paddles and the sole "advantage" of the paddles is that they are just "nearer".

ABC
Sorry ABC

You are correct, the paddles are simply closer to your fingers and do nothing more than moving the gear stick in sport.

There is more of a 'clunk' moving the gear stick in sport than say my X5 which can only be because of the linkage. I would suggest the paddles are slightly quicker to change gear by virtue of the fact there is not as much of a mechanical movement compared to the stick but that's possibly being picky.

Misunderstood you previously, sorry
Old 06-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='441430' date='Jun 29 2007, 06:36 PM
Nice car...love the "M" steering wheel!!!! Looks like the paddles also have leather inserts?
Rubber effect leather
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='441450' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:01 PM
Rubber effect leather
I like 'em! Gives a little more luxerious and finished look.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cader' post='441443' date='Jun 29 2007, 06:56 PM
My understanding is the Sport Auto Trans will work in this fashion:

Drive Mode (normal)
Drive Sport Mode (knock the gear shift to the left just like Step Sport use gear shift and/or paddles for shifts)
Drive Sport Mode (Dynamic Drive Mode?) (this is activated by pressing the sport button by the gearshift and throws the car into the NEW mode we are all trying to speculate about includes, sportier steering, gears optimally utilized, yada yada, yada yada)

I could be misinterpreting this

Now I could lie here and although I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent I have cocked up big time............

I didn't even notice the bloody sport button and have never touched it . The car goes well enough without that so why would I want to touch it

I'll try hitting that button tomorrow if I get a chance.

Obviously that may have a different effect on the gearbox and the paddles.

Edited to say I feel like a right cock now
Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Cool. For sure that's why you're not getting a blip on downshifts. Pretty much all the documentation we've seen says you need to be in spot mode before the blippng, etc. occurs...

Hurry up and post an update as soon as you can!!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='441489' date='Jun 29 2007, 07:51 PM
Cool. For sure that's why you're not getting a blip on downshifts. Pretty much all the documentation we've seen says you need to be in spot mode before the blippng, etc. occurs...

Hurry up and post an update as soon as you can!!
Will do.

It's 8.00pm here and two glasses of wine down with my meal so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.........sorry
Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Go take a nap now and set your alarm for about midnight -- by then you should be legal -- I'll wait up...
Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='441497' date='Jun 29 2007, 08:30 PM
Go take a nap now and set your alarm for about midnight -- by then you should be legal -- I'll wait up...
My 18 month old should wake me about 4.00am so I might have to go and get the papers.....

If only the bars in the rev counter would tell me when the engine was warm enough to 'give it some'

Quick Reply: LCI sports paddle shift is here!