E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI sports paddle shift is here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='441299' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:55 AM
Barry

Been reading your post with interest!

This is a difficult one......I'm sure the standard box is very smooth and the car has soooo much power that pushing the lever over to sports mode isn't needed in normal driving. The 'other' LCI gearbox does have a sports mode, but from what I understand it doesn't shift gears as quickly.

My opinion FWIW is to go with the car as spec'd and haggle for a hefty discount to compensate for the loss of sports gear shift.
I think I may well go that route, as long as it still has the sports mode and tiptronic. Just seems a shame. Thanks for your opinion, it's nice to bounce things off people with similar interests.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='441303' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:21 PM
From memory, if you simply put your foot down, hold it down and let the box decide the engine would rev up to the limit and then change. It doesn't for example think it should change at say 3750 rpm as this is the optimum change over point, it just goes mental!
Not suggesting I'm right here, but when I test drove the 535d pre LCI, I was told that in manual (tiptronic) mode that taking the car to the rev limiter wont trigger an automatic upshift. I took the car nearly to the red line but bottled out of finding the rev limiter in the demo car and it didn't shift on it's own.

Obviously the gearbox has been changed now so some further programming could have been instigated to do this, and being that the gearbox is now fly by wire all the more possible I would have thought that it could upshift when reaching the limiter?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by bardel' post='441311' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:54 PM
I think I may well go that route, as long as it still has the sports mode and tiptronic. Just seems a shame. Thanks for your opinion, it's nice to bounce things off people with similar interests.
I really don't think you'll be disappointed!

It's a very similar spec to mine but I went for grey as I drive so many miles and it won't show the dirt (CB was my initial choice).

Good luck and keep us informed!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Throttle blipping on downshifts was clearly billed as a feature that the sport automatic has. If the shifts are really quick, are you sure you're not just downshifting at a point where little if any blipping is required? What happens if you downshift two gears simultaneously? Does the car feel as if an anchor was dropped (or a parachute deployed) as soon as the lower gear engages?

This could either be a huge bummer or a small misunderstanding...
Old 06-29-2007, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='441336' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:05 PM
Throttle blipping on downshifts was clearly billed as a feature that the sport automatic has. If the shifts are really quick, are you sure you're not just downshifting at a point where little if any blipping is required? What happens if you downshift two gears simultaneously? Does the car feel as if an anchor was dropped (or a parachute deployed) as soon as the lower gear engages?

This could either be a huge bummer or a small misunderstanding...
I've never had to blip a diesel. Nor, TBH, been able to!

ABC
Old 06-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

That could be the difference, I guess. We'll have to wait for the first review of a petrol LCI sport auto then.

Maybe I'll be the one to provide this information -- they started unloading the Emden this morning at 07:00 -- my car is either about to be or already is back on terra firma!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='441347' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:35 PM
That could be the difference, I guess. We'll have to wait for the first review of a petrol LCI sport auto then.

Maybe I'll be the one to provide this information -- they started unloading the Emden this morning at 07:00 -- my car is either about to be or already is back on terra firma!
Rudy

Will be interesting to read your review, and the next few days until delivery will seem like a lifetime!

Now got 500 miles on the clock and played a bit more with the paddles. Not wishing to labour my view but it just seems to change gear a whole lot quicker up or down. No blipping that I notice but just an instant gear change, almost as I'd expect the Audi twin clutch to feel

I wonder if the diesel's can't blip because the engine doesn't respond that quick?

Still a bloody good car though and gets to 100mph in a blink
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='441402' date='Jun 29 2007, 06:02 PM
Now got 500 miles on the clock and played a bit more with the paddles. Not wishing to labour my view but it just seems to change gear a whole lot quicker up or down.
Let me ask again.

Does the box change up and down just as quickly if you use the steptronic rather than the paddles and the sole "advantage" of the paddles is that they are just "nearer".

ABC
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='441405' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:05 PM
Let me ask again.

Does the box change up and down just as quickly if you use the steptronic rather than the paddles and the sole "advantage" of the paddles is that they are just "nearer".

ABC
I don't have any first-hand knowledge but I'm willing to bet that the shifter and the paddles do the exact same thing. It's all electronic now, there is no physical linkage between the gear selector and the transmission.

(The SMG works the exact same way -- paddles and shifter just activate microswitches to shift up or down...)
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Nice car...love the "M" steering wheel!!!! Looks like the paddles also have leather inserts?

Quick Reply: LCI sports paddle shift is here!