E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI sports paddle shift is here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Olivin Green Metallic, dark leatherette interior with dark exclusive wooden trim. Comfort seats,Active Seats, RFT, Active steering, DSC, DTC, Dynamic Drive,Steptronic,business naviation, business sound system, bluetooth telephone kit. M technics kit.

Its a great car congratulations.. I recommend you see the review done by Clarkson for a diesel engine this car is phenomenal, you can download it from youtube and watch it. In case you havent done that already

here is the link.

enjoy!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmfan70' post='439038' date='Jun 23 2007, 05:57 PM
Its a great car congratulations.. I recommend you see the review done by Clarkson for a diesel engine this car is phenomenal, you can download it from youtube and watch it. In case you havent done that already

here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH3FWW2-jLs
This "review" is of the previous "model".

ABC
Old 06-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

No miles today as I've been to the Festival of Speed.....

I've seen the review and can't wait to confirm it's as advertised.

For those of you who aren't aware of the Festival of Speed I have posted a couple of picture below and more details can be found at www.goodwood.co.uk (in ,my humble opinion the best motorsport event in Europe...)

Saw this one racing at Le Mans last weekend. The beauty of FOS is you get to see a huge range of cars and meet the drivers at the same time

Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='439025' date='Jun 23 2007, 08:58 AM
It looks to me as if the leather on the steering wheel is of a much better quality than the one on my current SMG. The SMG wheel has a black "bumpy" leather wrap -- from the pics above, it looks more like they used the same leather that's on the center console, etc.

Am I right?

Yes the leather looks a LOT better... I think the Pre-LCI Euro Leather steering wheel had much better leather. I've complained about the cheap leather... or rather I swear its leatherette on the Pre-LCI model steering wheels.

And about the US 6 programmable buttons and 2 static HAhaha yup dumb Americans will complain taht they cant change between radio sources and wont know how to program one of the 8 buttons so having a pre-programmed one is smart. Less complaints and better ratings...
Old 06-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='439069' date='Jun 23 2007, 07:21 PM
Yes the leather looks a LOT better... I think the Pre-LCI Euro Leather steering wheel had much better leather. I've complained about the cheap leather... or rather I swear its leatherette on the Pre-LCI model steering wheels.
Let me repeat.

The steering wheel in the pix is the MSport version. It is no different between pre and psot LCI version apart from a couple of button allocations.

I don't know whether you are offered this wheel in the US since for some bizarre reason you aren't offered full MSport variants (unlike the Canadians).

In EU we have TWO steering wheels before and two steering wheels after LCI.

SE and MSport.

ABC
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='439066' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:16 AM
No miles today as I've been to the Festival of Speed.....

I've seen the review and can't wait to confirm it's as advertised.

For those of you who aren't aware of the Festival of Speed I have posted a couple of picture below and more details can be found at www.goodwood.co.uk (in ,my humble opinion the best motorsport event in Europe...)

Saw this one racing at Le Mans last weekend. The beauty of FOS is you get to see a huge range of cars and meet the drivers at the same time

just had to say... cool pics thanks for sharing
Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Members

As just posted on other forum.....

......I am hoping I can order this box on the new X5 3.0sd I have just put a deposit on.

PS Can't imagine goodwood is so nice today judging by the weather outside my window now
Old 06-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Members

Congrats on the new ride !
Can't wait to know your feel about the paddle shift in real life.

Have an Mercedes 7G with shift buttons on the steering wheel, each button can up/down shift alone for both right/left handed drivers
Feel a little busy shifting thru 2~6 gears , narrow band of gears keeping them in peak TQ somehow like diesel do.
They could be fun with BMW petrol high rev engines , as for diesel engine , you're the 1st one to share if it's deserved to have.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Had about a 20 mile drive today and a bit of a play with the paddle shifts. Bearing in mind I can't give it any beans currently and acceleration is limited to a sensible level.....

In simply terms you push to go down a gear (2nd to 1st for example) Pull to go up a gear. Strange that I couldn't feel a 'blip' today from the throttle when downshifting, but that may be because it's a diesel , and obviously I was in new car dreamland on Friday (or I simply didn't notice it today?) The gear change is very fast compared to say my 4.8iS X5 I just sold or any other auto BMW I've owned. Which ever way you go, the gear just seems to be there in an instant. That's not to say it's not lightning quick, but noticeably quicker than any auto BMW I've driven using the normal auto stick in 'sports' mode.

The 535D is clearly a very quick car and we've had a lot of rain today and so that combined with running in I don't want to be silly and end up in the hedge! What I fail to understand is why anyone would want a petrol in the UK (and maybe the US when available?) when you can have a very fast diesel saloon (sedan) that is also pretty fuel efficient . It's quiet, fast and having moved from a V8 which does sound fantastic, it doesn't make a nasty noise, just the sound of a 6 cylinder rather than the clatter of a diesel, even from start up.

I travel all over the UK at work and should have a thousand miles clocked up by the end of next week latest and will then start to really play with the car. That will also give me more chance to have a play with the shift in anger and see if it's a hot or a miss.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Members

OK, 250 more miles on the car now and here's my report so far..............

Not much to say really

The car itself is a work of art. it drives very well, the fuel economy even driving around London is over 30mpg and on a short run returned nearly 40mpg which for me is unheard of. It pulls like a train (feels a whole lot faster than my 4.8iS X5).

But what about the paddle shift I hear you ask.......

On my car it does NOT blip the throttle when down shifting. All the gear box seems to do is change gears significantly faster than my previous auto BMW's. Just hit the paddle and it's in gear, either going up or down. The paddles obviously make life easier as your hands are on the wheel and if you are in drive and then hit a paddle the gear changes and should you not continue to use the paddles a few moments later the gear box goes back into full auto again. Obviously if you're in sports mode the car either changes as it would when it hits the limiter or you can change using paddle shift all the time.

Having only got 350 miles on the clock I still haven't given the car any serious grunt yet and that may make a difference when you are 'pushing on' and use the paddles

Is it a worth while option....sure for the ?70 it cost me (about $126) but I wouldn't pay more than that for the paddles alone. No doubt though the gear box is a whole lot faster to change than a conventional BMW auto.

Sorry I can't be more excited

On a brighter note, the 535D is just a beast. When the diesel arrives in the US have a go as I think you'll be might impressed

Quick Reply: LCI sports paddle shift is here!