E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI sports paddle shift is here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume using the paddles therefore is no different to using the the steptronic selector.

Also, in ANY mode, I assume it DOESN'T change gear when it hits the limiter (isn't that rather late in the power curve) and WAY too high during the first 350 miles!!

What would be more interesting (now that the excitement of the paddles is laid to rest) is what exactly does the Sports Auto Transmission give you that the "standard" LCT transmission doesn't...

And how?

ABC
Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='441275' date='Jun 29 2007, 09:51 AM
I assume using the paddles therefore is no different to using the the steptronic selector.

Also, in ANY mode, I assume it DOESN'T change gear when it hits the limiter (isn't that rather late in the power curve) and WAY too high during the first 350 miles!!

What would be more interesting (now that the excitement of the paddles is laid to rest) is what exactly does the Sports Auto Transmission give you that the "standard" LCT transmission doesn't...

And how?

ABC
Of course I haven't hit the limiter yet, but I'm assuming that's what happens if you just put your foot down and let the gear box work things out for itself (that's how my X5 and other BMW's used to work).

The only difference I can feel so far is when you shift using the paddles or gear shift - it's quick. Other than that in day to day driving the gearbox is very smooth and you can't feel changes (unlike the X5!).

Obviously can't compare against normal LCI as I've never driven one.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Congrats for your new ride. Looks fantastic.
I am waiting an E61 530i Msport with this gearbox and in the same color as yours (guess is spacegrau). I really can't stand one more month.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Originally Posted by ///Marco.it' post='441286' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:33 AM
Congrats for your new ride. Looks fantastic.
I am waiting an E61 530i Msport with this gearbox and in the same color as yours (guess is spacegrau). I really can't stand one more month.
You will no be disappointed I can assure you
Old 06-29-2007, 02:36 AM
Members

Oh man,

this is really key for me now. As you may have read from my other thread this option isn't on my ordered car much to my frustration (although this is still under discussion with the dealer).

I take on board the comments ref the paddle shift, and I have to question if I will really miss them after getting past the cool gadget period. So what I want to know if how does the standard LCI gearbox compare for shift times / smoothness? I understand that you cant make this comparison Mogsy as you've not driven it, so any feedback from LCI owners with the standard gearbox.

As I understand it, they are both the new "fly by wire" gear change with the new stick, just the absence of the sport button and the paddles. Does this mean the standard transmission doesnt have a sport mode or tiptronic?

Barry
Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bardel' post='441296' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:36 AM
Oh man,

this is really key for me now. As you may have read from my other thread this option isn't on my ordered car much to my frustration (although this is still under discussion with the dealer).

I take on board the comments ref the paddle shift, and I have to question if I will really miss them after getting past the cool gadget period. So what I want to know if how does the standard LCI gearbox compare for shift times / smoothness? I understand that you cant make this comparison Mogsy as you've not driven it, so any feedback from LCI owners with the standard gearbox.

As I understand it, they are both the new "fly by wire" gear change with the new stick, just the absence of the sport button and the paddles. Does this mean the standard transmission doesnt have a sport mode or tiptronic?

Barry
Barry

Been reading your post with interest!

This is a difficult one......I'm sure the standard box is very smooth and the car has soooo much power that pushing the lever over to sports mode isn't needed in normal driving. The 'other' LCI gearbox does have a sports mode, but from what I understand it doesn't shift gears as quickly.

My opinion FWIW is to go with the car as spec'd and haggle for a hefty discount to compensate for the loss of sports gear shift.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='439099' date='Jun 23 2007, 09:33 PM
In EU we have TWO steering wheels before and two steering wheels after LCI.

SE and MSport.

ABC
In EU we have three steering wheels - standard, sport and M-sport.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='441283' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:27 AM
Of course I haven't hit the limiter yet, but I'm assuming that's what happens if you just put your foot down and let the gear box work things out for itself (that's how my X5 and other BMW's used to work).
Really?

Is maximum revs where peak power/torque is developed? And for a diesel such as ours aren't there other factors affecting optimum shift point?

Seeking some input here rather than having any definitive knowledge.

ABC
Old 06-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='441302' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:17 PM
Really?

Is maximum revs where peak power/torque is developed? And for a diesel such as ours aren't there other factors affecting optimum shift point?

Seeking some input here rather than having any definitive knowledge.

ABC
From memory, if you simply put your foot down, hold it down and let the box decide the engine would rev up to the limit and then change. It doesn't for example think it should change at say 3750 rpm as this is the optimum change over point, it just goes mental!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mogsyman' post='441303' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:21 PM
From memory, if you simply put your foot down, hold it down and let the box decide the engine would rev up to the limit and then change. It doesn't for example think it should change at say 3750 rpm as this is the optimum change over point, it just goes mental!
Not exactly appropriate for a diesel such as ours with all that low down torque.

I expect the algorithms are (or if not, should be) different.

ABC

Quick Reply: LCI sports paddle shift is here!