E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the difference between the lci models and pre-lci. the behaviour you described in posting #1 is exactly what bmw programmed into the lci models. you have two solutions. run to hte bmw dealer and
* get yourself the lci front light retrofit kit for about 2k
* place an order on a lci

sorry for the bad news...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Good Q timewa,

"I would like to have the following behavior of my E60 (LCI)
-During the day, when there's enough daylight, I want to have the angel eyes on ONLY, not the normal beams.
-When it's getting dark, I want normal beams automatically (all lights on, incl angel eyes)."

Of what I have heard from fellow Finnish LCI E60 drivers, this is exactly how the Xenons work.

The new (LCI) Angel Eyes are considered bright enough as day light running lights in the Nordic countries.

If it possible over here (we must drive with lights on all the time) it must also be programmable, with Xenons
or non Xenons.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='500666' date='Nov 29 2007, 08:36 PM
that is the difference between the lci models and pre-lci. the behaviour you described in posting #1 is exactly what bmw programmed into the lci models. you have two solutions. run to hte bmw dealer and
* get yourself the lci front light retrofit kit for about 2k
* place an order on a lci

sorry for the bad news...
He already has an LCI. On non xenon LCI cars in the UK at least and parts of main land Europe at, DRL includes dipped beam headlights. However, the manual states that where xenons are fitted, dipped is at reduced brightness perhaps giving the impression that they are not on??

Next time I talk to my service manager about some complaint, I will ask him about this!

Regards,
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='500152' date='Nov 28 2007, 02:41 PM
I know there have been a couple of DRL posts before, but I have not been able to find the answer to this question:

I would like to have the following behaviour of my E60 (LCI):
-During the day, when there's enough daylight, I want to have the angel eyes on ONLY, not the normal beams.
-When it's getting dark, I want normal beams automatically (all lights on, incl angel eyes).

I currently have this situation:
-I leave my light switch always on "A" (Auto)
-The DRL setting in idrive is enabled
-The headlights are always on, angel eyes as well as normal beams, even in bright sunlight. Nothing switches off automatically anymore...

Now if I disable the DRL setting, the normal beams switch off automatically depending on how bright it is outside, but the angel eyes are then switched off too!

Do any of you know how I can change this? I have tried all settings of the light switch, with DRL on/off for each setting, but never got the situation I prefer. Can the dealer change this for me?

Thanks in advance...
The US cars have them operating they way you want. Not sure how that helps you though.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Hi Timewa,

My LCI works the same way as yours. Like you I would like the angel eyes on only with the DTRL. Only a small finger twitch to flick the switch over from auto!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

If it possible over here (we must drive with lights on all the time) it must also be programmable, with Xenons
or non Xenons.
Exactly my thoughts. I see at least 4 possible reasons why BMW did this:

1) BMW marketeers have anticipated that people want it this way, and therefore only gave this behaviour to people who paid for Xenon as an added bonus.
2) Because Xenons do not really wear, and last many times longer than Halogens, BMW decided to keep the amount of on/off transitions for Halogens as low as possible (= keep them on all the time). This doesn't sound right to me but you never know...
3) It's simply a difference in firmware between xenon light modules and normal light modules (different software engineers with different preferences), and BMW never bothered as both types of behaviour are OK for legislation.
4) Non-xenon LCI angel eyes may be less bright than the ones around the xenon lights, and are considered to be not good enough for DRL...
Just some thoughts.

I know it can be done. And I know it's only one bit in that firmware... Now we only need to know which one out of millions, and how to toggle it.

P.S. @rsyed: I do have a LCI E60...
Old 11-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Here's my '08 with the DRL's on...just the angel eyes are lit...kind of ashamed to say...I'mnot really sure what headlights I have as they are new to me and look very different from my other cars halogen lights...

LCI Daytime Running Lights-dscn0307.jpg