E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal on metal rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

i seem to be getting what appears to be a intemittent rattle from time to time, it sounds like metal on metal but i can't seem to work out where it is coming from, it is more deep thud sounding than tinny, it normally occurs when driving over rough surfaces and some times when i shut the door hard.

it is driving me nuts but i want to identify where it is coming form before taking to the dealer becuase as sure as shit it wont be there when the SA takes it for a drive.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Contributors

That's a little too general - can you be more specific? What part of the car (front, rear, door, dash, back seat, sunroof, etc)? Inside or outside?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Hi,

If it is coming from above your head, try opening the sunroof cover and driving over some bumps to see if it is coming from the sunroof area. My car had a rattle from the pop-up wind deflector banging against the sunroof glass when driving on a bumpy road. I lined the edge of the wind deflector with a strip of the "loop" material from a velcro kit and it was all quiet again...

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='491997' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:33 PM
i seem to be getting what appears to be a intemittent rattle from time to time, it sounds like metal on metal but i can't seem to work out where it is coming from, it is more deep thud sounding than tinny, it normally occurs when driving over rough surfaces and some times when i shut the door hard.

it is driving me nuts but i want to identify where it is coming form before taking to the dealer becuase as sure as shit it wont be there when the SA takes it for a drive.

I seem to be having the same issue but i found where its coming from. the other day while my car was on i was standing outside of it and hear a small rattling sound coming from the engine bay. I popped it open and heard the sound coming from the heat shield on the exahust manifold. its a bit loose... i havent taken it in and probably wont Im going to tighten it myself when i have time. dont feel like taking it in some something small like that.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='492211' date='Nov 9 2007, 08:11 AM
Hi,

If it is coming from above your head, try opening the sunroof cover and driving over some bumps to see if it is coming from the sunroof area. My car had a rattle from the pop-up wind deflector banging against the sunroof glass when driving on a bumpy road. I lined the edge of the wind deflector with a strip of the "loop" material from a velcro kit and it was all quiet again...

Good luck!
I have the exact same noise problem coming from the moon roof wind deflector rattling. I was thinking of sticking some sort of soft material on it as you have done, but I would rather find out the source of the problem as it wasn't doing this the first 35000 miles or so and then it started doing it and has gradually gotten worse. The car is still under warranty so I'll have the dealer look at it next time. I just don't want to mask the noise now without finding out what is causing it. It may be some screws backing out over time as a result of vibration and if left alone they may back out all the way and cause more problems.......or some other part in there may need to be replaced.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='492151' date='Nov 9 2007, 11:31 PM
That's a little too general - can you be more specific? What part of the car (front, rear, door, dash, back seat, sunroof, etc)? Inside or outside?
It really weird because i can't figure out where it is coming from, i think because it is a deep sound it harder to pin point. Initally i thought it was coming from the roof but then other times it sounds like it is at floor level. The other thing is it is intermitten so it won't be there for days then all of a sudden it will come back.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='492282' date='Nov 9 2007, 11:34 AM
I have the exact same noise problem coming from the moon roof wind deflector rattling.
I have the same problem. My SA says it is a known issue and there is a service bulletin for it. I pick it up tomorrow... we'll see.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by schwim' post='493003' date='Nov 11 2007, 02:43 PM
I have the same problem. My SA says it is a known issue and there is a service bulletin for it. I pick it up tomorrow... we'll see.
If you find out the SIB number please post it here.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='493000' date='Nov 11 2007, 05:26 PM
It really weird because i can't figure out where it is coming from, i think because it is a deep sound it harder to pin point. Initally i thought it was coming from the roof but then other times it sounds like it is at floor level. The other thing is it is intermitten so it won't be there for days then all of a sudden it will come back.
I had a persistent loud knocking sound which occurred when the once car had warmed up and then whenever I drove over a slightly bumpy road. I went to the dealer and a technician tracked it down to one of the engine bay strut braces which needed tightening down. The brace wasn't loose or anything but once heat from the engine had soaked through it it sat slightly higher than usual and started hitting whatever is above it in the engine bay. I'm pleased to say that this simple fix dealt with the problem immedaitely and completely.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525ia, Olivin green, active steering, sunroof, bi-xenons, power assist, bluetooth phone system, Professional stereo with navigation, sprint booster, Goodyear F1 235/40x18 for in town drives, 16's for country roads
Arrow

2004, 525i, Jamaica
Trying to find and correct rattles in my car is Rocket Science.
I keep returning the car to the dealer for the same noises they have fixed. I have now a similar intermittent metallic rattle which sounds like knocking pipes together. It may occur on closing a front door or over rough pavement. Sometimes it seems to be from under a seat, then from the transmission housing area.It may rattle ften one day then a week - nothing. Believe me it refuses to occur when taken on a test drive.
This car is my 5th European, but frist BMW.

Quick Reply: Metal on metal rattle