E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

LCI Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there have been a couple of DRL posts before, but I have not been able to find the answer to this question:

I would like to have the following behaviour of my E60 (LCI):
-During the day, when there's enough daylight, I want to have the angel eyes on ONLY, not the normal beams.
-When it's getting dark, I want normal beams automatically (all lights on, incl angel eyes).

I currently have this situation:
-I leave my light switch always on "A" (Auto)
-The DRL setting in idrive is enabled
-The headlights are always on, angel eyes as well as normal beams, even in bright sunlight. Nothing switches off automatically anymore...

Now if I disable the DRL setting, the normal beams switch off automatically depending on how bright it is outside, but the angel eyes are then switched off too!

Do any of you know how I can change this? I have tried all settings of the light switch, with DRL on/off for each setting, but never got the situation I prefer. Can the dealer change this for me?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by timewa' post='500152' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:41 PM
I know there have been a couple of DRL posts before, but I have not been able to find the answer to this question:

-During the day, when there's enough daylight, I want to have the angel eyes on ONLY, not the normal beams.
-When it's getting dark, I want normal beams automatically (all lights on, incl angel eyes).

-The headlights are always on, angel eyes as well as normal beams, even in bright sunlight. Nothing switches off automatically anymore...

Now if I disable the DRL setting, the normal beams switch off automatically depending on how bright it is outside, but the angel eyes are then switched off too!

Do any of you know how I can change this? I have tried all settings of the light switch, with DRL on/off for each setting, but never got the situation I prefer. Can the dealer change this for me?

Thanks in advance...
Don't know of a way to disable the angel eyes, but if your headlights are remaining on in bright sunlight in the automatic (A) mode, you clearly have some problem with the sensor. They should go off.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='500156' date='Nov 28 2007, 08:49 PM
Don't know of a way to disable the angel eyes, but if your headlights are remaining on in bright sunlight in the automatic (A) mode, you clearly have some problem with the sensor. They should go off.
I think the sensor should be fine, because if I disable DRL, they do switch on and off as they should. But in that case the angel eyes switch off too, which is something I do not want.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='500164' date='Nov 28 2007, 03:03 PM
I think the sensor should be fine, because if I disable DRL, they do switch on and off as they should. But in that case the angel eyes switch off too, which is something I do not want.
I fear that in our countries, the E60 LCI (non-Xenon) does not come with 'angel eyes only' - daylight running lights include the main lights.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by boukehj' post='500170' date='Nov 28 2007, 02:14 PM
I fear that in our countries, the E60 LCI (non-Xenon) does not come with 'angel eyes only' - daylight running lights include the main lights.
Oops, didn't catch that they were non-Xenon. On my LCI w/ Xenon, the DLR is the angel eyes so they work independent of the headlights...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='500176' date='Nov 28 2007, 09:19 PM
Oops, didn't catch that they were non-Xenon. On my LCI w/ Xenon, the DLR is the angel eyes so they work independent of the headlights...
That may be the answer, I do not have Xenons... Still, I'll ask my dealer if this can be "fixed". It may be a setting that they can program, I hope so.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by timewa' post='500152' date='Nov 28 2007, 07:41 PM
Annoyingly, not an option. Only way is to manually turn on the angels... DRL or Auto options turns both on and off.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by timewa' post='500152' date='Nov 28 2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks in advance...
My lights work exactly the same as you describe and I too have non-xenons.

According to the manual, if you have xenons they will be on, but at reduced brightness.

Thus, if you want angel eyes only during the day, you have to manually turn then on as if you were parking.

I know exactly how you want them to work as I would like the angels eyes as running lights but without dipped beam on.

Regards,
Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='500209' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:17 PM
Annoyingly, not an option. Only way is to manually turn on the angels... DRL or Auto options turns both on and off.
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping that there was a "secret option" somewhere... apparently that's not the case.

I know I can do it manually by switching on the parking lights while driving, but I'm too lazy for that.

I'll ask my dealer what he can do. And it may be fixed in the next firmware release. Does anybody know if there's new software for the LCI already?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by timewa' post='500229' date='Nov 28 2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping that there was a "secret option" somewhere... apparently that's not the case.

I know I can do it manually by switching on the parking lights while driving, but I'm too lazy for that.

I'll ask my dealer what he can do. And it may be fixed in the next firmware release. Does anybody know if there's new software for the LCI already?
fixed? It's been like this since day 1...

Quick Reply: LCI Daytime Running Lights