E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought 545 - Huge Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Enjoy the car. I've had my 2004 545i just over a year, its hard to believe I've had it that long already. The only problems I've had were, getting a paint correction done and replacing a valley pan gasket.

What is NTB? National Tire and Battery. It may be different down in San Antonio, but I would never go to one here in DFW.

The only thing I would recommend for you to find would be a good independent shop to do the maintenance on your car. The BMW stealerships will rob you blind.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Your experience is probably the worst thing about these Internet forums. It's kinda like: "I've not had any problems at all, and I THOUGHT I loved my car....that is...until I started reading this forum....now I have ALL these issues to be concerned about...hmmm...maybe I don't my car as much as I thought I did."

Somebody once said this: "70% of all the stuff I worry about...never happen".
Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Contributors

I wouldn't worry. I bought my 545 with 56k and a great warranty and felt the same way as you after reading the forums. Most of the repairs I did (Thermostat, water pump) were D.I.Y. and pretty easy. Guys on the forum were a great resource and very reassuring through the worst of my issues. Going on my 3rd year with the car and feeling great about it.

Sean
Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Mistake?

Yes, unfortunately.
Once a V8 engine is about 5 years old you can expect a small problem which cost BIG bucks to get fixed.
Those V8 engines are having a design fault.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by No Onions
So I was shopping for a used car and came across what I thought was exactly what I'm looking for. I have it inspected at a BMW dealership and it passes with flying colors, so it's as advertised, and I got a decent price on it. I buy the car and then start searching around the net for wheels and other modifications, and that's when I stumble upon this forum. I start browsing around and it just seems like every other thread is about some problem with these cars. FUCK! Did I make a mistake in choosing this car or what? It's an '05 and has 30k miles, so it's out of warranty but not been driven as much as your average car. What say you fellow e60 owners?

By the way, I just joined this forum and this is my first post. Nice to meet all of you and hopefully (if I keep the car) I'll be an active member of this online community.

Mistake?!....NO WAY!!!!

I have an 05 545i and it iss hands down the best car I have ever had. I have had it since 2008 and have had only minor issues for the most part. It is a fun car to drive and worth every penny. Enjoy your car.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

i went through the same thing. i bought an immaculate 2005 545i sport 6mt with 34K miles a few months ago. after spending a few days reading forums i totally had a melt down, and hated myself for what i perceived as an impulse buy. i didn't even drive the car for 2 weeks b/c i just couldn't get over all the fears of it breaking. but i eventually got over it. i posted a thread similar to yours and got some good advice from many people.

the best advice i got was: "just drive the thing and enjoy life, this is a one lap race and money is just dirty paper" i need to look up the thread again and thank the guy that posted that.

.....after thinking about those wise words for a few days, it got in the car and took it on a hell ride, drove it as fast as it would run up bear creek road, pushing and passing every car that got in my way (bay area folks will know this road). the car seemed to have as much fun as i did, and is an amazing performer. i've only put about 3K on the car and so far its been perfect.

just keep the oil changed with good synthetic and maintain it well. and if you are still consumed with fear.... i hear that honda has some great deals on civics!

drive it!!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

Originally Posted by Iceman
Mistake?

Yes, unfortunately.
Once a V8 engine is about 5 years old you can expect a small problem which cost BIG bucks to get fixed.
Those V8 engines are having a design fault.

what if the car is 5 years old and has only 35K miles (56km) on it?

what are the typical faults with the V8 that the I6 does not have?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Contributors

You're going to love your car, relax! You see a lot of posts about maintenance stuff because we're anal about it. Unlike most BMW drivers who don't even realize what a marvel of engineering perfection they drive. Your 545 will be kick-ass for a longgggg time! Just prepare to get bit by the mod bug! IT'LL HAPPEN!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M-Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Dakota Black Leather, Professional Nav. Hardwired Road Angel + Laser, De-Swirl Flapped!!

Welcome to the forum, and don't worry. Everyone gets a bit of the post-purchase jitters. As the guys have suggested, find a good independent, put away a bit of money for servicing and repairs (as you would do with any car), get out there and enjoy it.

The forum can show as being a bit frightening when you first look at it, because many of the posts are to find a solution to problems and get help. The good news on this is that if you do come slightly unstuck, there is a wealth of knowledge out here. This isn't a case of all cars are bad, people just tend to chime in with problems.

Here's my post of today with my car:
The car started first time all day today as it always does. I put on about 250 miles, a mix of motorway and country lanes. Apart from some rather large potholes what a complete joy. Torque to pass the slow cars, quiet high cruising speeds, comfort, and what a joy to look at. I'm actually looking forward to work tomorrow as I've got a 300 mile round trip!!!

Relax, you made a good choice.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

I rod the piss out of my 545i. love every minute of it. Never (knocking on wood), gave me a problem yet. 63k miles and running like a champion. Service it, and drive it like you stole it. My advise is to enjoy your 545i and don't ever look at the mod sections here.

Quick Reply: Just Bought 545 - Huge Mistake?