E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by ddlv' post='552081' date='Mar 27 2008, 09:24 PM
I am trying to decide between a Jaguar XF and a BMW 535i, and I am really having a difficult time. Here are the most significant facts to me so far. Please weigh in:
  1. I think the XF is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen - beautiful body styling. Personally I like it much better than the 535.
  2. I test drove an XF (non supercharged). It was nice, but the 535 is much better in acceleration and driver feel in my opinion. I am hoping to test drive a supercharged XF soon.
  3. I thought the interior was a little too tight on the XF. Especially in the rear seat, it seems like the 535 has a little extra legroom that would make a lot of difference. It is also easy to clip your head on the way into the back seat of the XF.
  4. How will Jaguar reliability and cost to maintain on this new model compare to the 535?
If it weren't for the incredible body styling of the XF I would have gone to the BMW already. However, I may rationalize the smaller interior if the supercharged model has some acceleration to rival the 535.

Any input is welcomed. I know this is the home of BMW loyalists, so take it easy on me.

Thank you!
[/list]
Plain and simple.....this IS a BMW E60 forum, 'nuff said?? GET THE FREAKIN' BIMMER!!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributors

LOL.... you guys need to give it up!!!! the car is like a pretty hooker... beautifull on the out side sexy lines... in the begining shes the best.. but after some runs shes worn out cant keep up... FACE IT,ITS A GOD DAM FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='556218' date='Apr 4 2008, 03:53 PM
That's cool.

I'd only give BMW interiors an advantage in terms of style. And IMO the LCI versions are better than the non LCI.
I agree 100%. I did not like the pre-LCI interior at all. In fact I would never have bought an E60 if it were not for the LCI.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='557325' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:04 AM

Umm... You do realize that BMW does not have a V6??? And you even HAVE a 6-cylinder BMW and aren't catching on!
I get that, but the BMW straight six twin-turbo engine is a work of art. Who cares if it's inline or V6? My point is that BMW has done a superb job with that engine and I prefer it over a gas guzzling Ford V8 with the same HP. They probably used the same engine from the Land Rover LR3 V8, The Mustang GT and the Range Rover Sport, and just dropped it in the Jag. I wouldn't be surprised

There must be a reason BMW doesn't use a V6, perhaps the same reason that Porsche doesn't use one in the Boxter, Cayman and 911?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by Matt_535i' post='557438' date='Apr 7 2008, 12:32 PM
There must be a reason BMW doesn't use a V6, perhaps the same reason that Porsche doesn't use one in the Boxter, Cayman and 911?
It's not because it's a better engine. Even with the twin turbos, it's still trailing behind other manufacturers' V6s (as usual) as far as HP is concerned. The turbos work wonders in the torque department, surpassing all the competition's V6s.

No, BMW is gungho about balance, and having the cylinders in a line is more balanced than having them split.

The reason Porsche doesn't use V6s is because of packaging. The body shapes don't allow for it, so the engine has to be flattened out like a pancake. Notice the Carrera GT has a V10 and isn't shaped like any other Porsche. That car is literally a case of a car being built around an engine. The engine was originally being developed for their F1 program, but they changed their mind about it. Millions had been spent on development and it would've been bad business not to use the engine in something. Hence, the birth of the Carrera GT. Twelve hundred Carrera GTs built and sold at a half mill each comes out to $600,000,000! Costs recouped.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='557467' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:24 PM
It's not because it's a better engine. Even with the twin turbos, it's still trailing behind other manufacturers' V6s (as usual) as far as HP is concerned. The turbos work wonders in the torque department, surpassing all the competition's V6s.

No, BMW is gungho about balance, and having the cylinders in a line is more balanced than having them split.
+1 Balance and decreased vibration are the main advantages of in-line type engines.

However, you can squeeze more displacement in the same physical space with a V-type engine. Infinity and Lexus V-6's are slightly bigger. I think that's a main reason why the newest M3 has a V-8.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Members

I'm currently a Mercedes R500 driver, so I'm not biased to Jaguar or BMW. Like the original poster I am trying to decide between the XF Supercharged and the 535ix. I have 9 months till my lease ends. I've driven both cars and here are my comments:

1 - Exterior Styling: XF is MUCH LESS impressive in person (on the street) than in pictures or in the showroom. 5 series is going into its final year before the F10. XF is a brand new design. I saw one parked at the beach and lots of people stopped to look at it. Advantage XF.

2 - Interior Styling: No contest. Sitting in a 5 series after sitting in the XF Premium luxury or Supercharged is a huge let down. Advantage XF by a huge margin.

3 - Engine. Tough one. The twin turbo is heads and shoulders THE BEST 300HP engine in the world today. The 300HP XF engine is the old Ford Europe V8 shared originally developed for the Astons and shared with Land Rover. It is not bad, but it is not competitive in power desnsity and fuel economy. HOWEVER, the 420HP is untouched for the price. You have to go AMG E63 and M5 to get that much torque. It is incredibly smooth and SOUNDS GREAT. Advantage: if you are considering the 300HP model BMW wins, if you are going for the Supercharged, Jaguar wins by a mile.

4 - Driving dynamics: XF Supercharged is a bit more composed, the 535 feels a bit more connected. It is a Tie. If you plan to drive it in the snow, BMW 535xi wins hands down.

5 - Price: The XF Supercharged comes with 420HP, Navigation, tons of leather, adaptive suspension, 20-inch wheels, B&W high end sound system, satellite radio 255 front/285 rear tires, sunroof, etc for $62K. If you tried to price a 5 series BMW with similar equipment it would be $15K more and still be some 70HP short. Advantage: XF

6 - Interior Space: Somehow, reading the specs, you'd think the XF would win here. But no. This was my biggest disappointment with the XF. The center console is too wide. I felt "trapped" in the driver's seat. Too close to the door, pressed against the center console. In the back, there is very little feet room and the rear seat feels narrower than the 5 series. Advantage: 535.

7 - Dealership/Lease: Jaguar dealer experience SUCKS. BMW is better. Mercedes/Lexus are still head and shoulders above them. I'm only considering a lease as I want someone else to hold the depreciation/residual risks. Jaguar leases SUCKS. Their rates SUCKS. BMW and Mercedes have THE BEST lease rates (residuals/money factor around. The lease deals on a 535ix are awesome.

My decision: If this was 2010 I'd buy the F01. If it was 2011, I'd buy the F10. No questions about it. But in late 08, I am leaning towards the XF. When my lease is up (March 09), if there are good lease deals on the Jag and the F10 is still too new for good deals, I'll likely buy the XF, unless there are such terrific deals on the last year of the 535ix - than I'll take the Bimmer.

So bottom line is tha I preffer to drive the XF over the current 535ix. The decision will be based on the lease deals available at the time.

I hope this helps and I also would be interested in your opinions.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by baron95' post='612548' date='Jun 29 2008, 03:31 PM
I'm currently a Mercedes R500 driver, so I'm not biased to Jaguar or BMW. Like the original poster I am trying to decide between the XF Supercharged and the 535ix. I have 9 months till my lease ends. I've driven both cars and here are my comments:

1 - Exterior Styling: XF is MUCH LESS impressive in person (on the street) than in pictures or in the showroom. 5 series is going into its final year before the F10. XF is a brand new design. I saw one parked at the beach and lots of people stopped to look at it. Advantage XF.

This is the killer for me. I still can't believe how bland the XF turned out. I don't get it.

It looks like a boring american sedan.

I do agree the interior is nice, but it is not my style.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='612557' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:47 PM
This is the killer for me. I still can't believe how bland the XF turned out. I don't get it.

It looks like a boring american sedan.
Well, I would not say it is boring and it certainly does not look like an American sedan at all. It is distinctive and very attractive. It's just not "more stunning" in person than in photos as all the reviews are saying. It looks much smaller than the dimensions and paper stats. It is supposed to be 4 inches/10 cm longer than the 535, yet it looks smaller.

But it is certainly a distinctive and fresh look. It beats the 535i in many respects. The rear end with the twin exhaust just look much sportier and higher end than the 535. No comparisson. Front end is great on both vehicles, so hard to give an edge to either. Wheel/tire combinations are much better on the XF Supercharged, so side view edge goes to XF.

It is a head turning car - no questions about it. There is no way you can park it at a party and not get a ton of questions. Lets face it guys. Pulling up with a 5-series or E-class these days will just go unoticed. So the XF has the design high ground over the MB and BMW right now.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='552211' date='Mar 28 2008, 09:20 AM
I think that pretty much sums it up.

Jaguar makes some nice looking cars no doubt about that. Personally I like the look of the XF. But knowing the long term realiablity issues with Jaguar I won't touch any of there cars unless you go in with an open pocket book or you only keep your car for 3 years or less. Also Jaguar has very poor resale value which is something to consider. Unless your leasing this may be its a moot point to you.

Plus you not getting the XF SC anywhere near the price of a 535i.

I think if your a short term car owner 1 to 3 years or leasing go with your gut and take a chance on the XF. If your looking for long term ownership like 5 to 7 years I'd go with the 535i or a slightly used 550i.

Wish I had this problem in my life right now

jaguar looks almost identical to the new mecury that is coming out.
sorry, i pick 5 series over jag anyday of the week.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided