E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Why ask this question on a BMW owner site !

Re reliability, Merc and BMW have been through some really dire spells recently - and are collectively (and objectively) miles behind Lexus, Honda etc. But according to independent data (including Which? in UK) Jaguar and BMW are indistinguishable as brands - and predecessor S-Tye and 5 series similar as models (XJ better than 5 series, similar to Lexus).

Re Jaguar crashes in the rain, this is amazing (particualrly if coming from the land known for some fairly primitive,if not dire, handling locally built sedans). Recent BMW's are probably ahead of almost everything in sport handlng, if a bit harsh ride, but Jags traditionally have had a great ride / handling combination more similar to Merc (XF erring a bit more on the hard BMW side)

If the financials add up and you like the car, dare to be different !
Old 04-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='555616' date='Apr 3 2008, 04:36 PM
Why ask this question on a BMW owner site !

Re reliability, Merc and BMW have been through some really dire spells recently - and are collectively (and objectively) miles behind Lexus, Honda etc. But according to independent data (including Which? in UK) Jaguar and BMW are indistinguishable as brands - and predecessor S-Tye and 5 series similar as models (XJ better than 5 series, similar to Lexus).

Re Jaguar crashes in the rain, this is amazing (particualrly if coming from the land known for some fairly primitive,if not dire, handling locally built sedans). Recent BMW's are probably ahead of almost everything in sport handlng, if a bit harsh ride, but Jags traditionally have had a great ride / handling combination more similar to Merc (XF erring a bit more on the hard BMW side)

If the financials add up and you like the car, dare to be different !
I think a lot of it has to do with brand image in the country where you are buying. I am from the UK, but moved to the US eight years ago. In the UK, there are people that rave about Jags - I think it's because of the British heritage. I have family members and close friends that own them. However, what you have to understand is that in the US, Jag's reputation for reliability is toilet - and way behind BMW.

Also because of the Ford acquistion, there were many similarities between Ford and Jag that were more obvious to the US market than the UK (mainly because those Ford models did not exist in the UK). We all remember the famous "Jaga-Taurus" right? It bore a striking resemblance to a Ford Taurus from the rear - but that model never existed in the UK. I also remember the S-Type and the Lincoln LS were built on the same basic platform - another car that is not available in the UK.

I know BMW is not perfect by any means but here in the US their reliability, while not on a par with Lexus, is WAY better than Jag and Mercedes-Benz. I would say MB and Jag are about the same, which is interesting given the Chrysler/MB acquisition. In terms of mass produced luxury cars, I'd say it goes like this:

1) Lexus
2) Infiniti & Acura (not sure is Acura is technically a luxury car - but whatever)
3) BMW
4) Audi & Porsche
5) Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover & Jaguar

Some may argue that BMW, Audi and Porsche are about the same... In any case, it's close.

I recommend looking at sites like Consumer Reports. They have years worth of historical data on the brands/cars in question...
Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='552089' date='Mar 27 2008, 11:52 PM
how much is that FORD, oh, did I say Jaguar or ford? nevermind it makes no different anyways...

I++ now that funny but true
Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Members

I understand the question..I drive an 08 535 and when my lease is up next year am seriously thinking about the new XF. Before trashing that idea people should read about the car--it is really Jaguar's claim for redemption--and IMHO, quite simply the best looking car in it's class on the planet. The reviews are stellar--from both a design and engineering standpoint. And the Tata ownership will, in the long run, be a good thing. They have much deeper pockets than Ford does and want to burnish the Jaguar brand ,not take it downmarket. I'm nervous about the glitches as well, but let's be honest, BMW has more than their share of annoying problems (witness the oil temp problem on early 335).

And one other moment of honesty--for cars running into the $60k range the 5 series interiors are more than a little spartan. Other marques have better interiors than BMW--including Audi and Infiniti--and the interior of the XF is nothing short of stunning. I sat in one at a car show--wow! I wish the boys form Munich would spend a few more design dollars on their interiors to bring them up to the level of the competition.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by Matt_535i' post='555476' date='Apr 3 2008, 12:38 PM
... However, I think the BMW engine is more efficient, getting 300HP from a V6, ...
You're right! BMW's "V6" is so efficient that its true power potential is completely and utterly unexplored, and it runs on NO FUEL at all! Amazing!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by ddlv' post='552081' date='Mar 28 2008, 10:24 AM
I am trying to decide between a Jaguar XF and a BMW 535i, and I am really having a difficult time. Here are the most significant facts to me so far. Please weigh in:
  1. I think the XF is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen - beautiful body styling. Personally I like it much better than the 535.
  2. I test drove an XF (non supercharged). It was nice, but the 535 is much better in acceleration and driver feel in my opinion. I am hoping to test drive a supercharged XF soon.
  3. I thought the interior was a little too tight on the XF. Especially in the rear seat, it seems like the 535 has a little extra legroom that would make a lot of difference. It is also easy to clip your head on the way into the back seat of the XF.
  4. How will Jaguar reliability and cost to maintain on this new model compare to the 535?
If it weren't for the incredible body styling of the XF I would have gone to the BMW already. However, I may rationalize the smaller interior if the supercharged model has some acceleration to rival the 535.

Any input is welcomed. I know this is the home of BMW loyalists, so take it easy on me.

Thank you!
[/list]

what did you decide....let us know... you only have 1 post....you are not a Jaguar insider are you lol....
Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I saw my first one on the road yesterday , I'm sorry, but I don't get it ! That car is Fugly ! The design team were completely disjointed it looks like 4 different cars depending on which way you look at it ............JMHO !!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='556076' date='Apr 4 2008, 10:16 PM
I saw my first one on the road yesterday , I'm sorry, but I don't get it ! That car is Fugly ! The design team were completely disjointed it looks like 4 different cars depending on which way you look at it ............JMHO !!
+1 and if you fall for that tacky interior from a 80's b graded sci fi movie....then i guess you are very nostalgic. And all that blue makes me dizzy....looks like a very old Siemens S40 or something......lol... but like most other ppl i like the rear only because it looks like a Aston Martin... so i think i will be happy with my e60 or f10 in the future.... if i am broke i will buy a used e39 lol...but not this........
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='555973' date='Apr 4 2008, 08:25 AM
You're right! BMW's "V6" is so efficient that its true power potential is completely and utterly unexplored, and it runs on NO FUEL at all! Amazing!
I'm confused... Are you saying that using a V8 to generate 300HP is more efficient than using a V6 to generate 300HP? Perhaps you should buy a Mustang?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jacksonhunter31' post='555968' date='Apr 4 2008, 07:52 AM
I understand the question..I drive an 08 535 and when my lease is up next year am seriously thinking about the new XF. Before trashing that idea people should read about the car--it is really Jaguar's claim for redemption--and IMHO, quite simply the best looking car in it's class on the planet. The reviews are stellar--from both a design and engineering standpoint. And the Tata ownership will, in the long run, be a good thing. They have much deeper pockets than Ford does and want to burnish the Jaguar brand ,not take it downmarket. I'm nervous about the glitches as well, but let's be honest, BMW has more than their share of annoying problems (witness the oil temp problem on early 335).

And one other moment of honesty--for cars running into the $60k range the 5 series interiors are more than a little spartan. Other marques have better interiors than BMW--including Audi and Infiniti--and the interior of the XF is nothing short of stunning. I sat in one at a car show--wow! I wish the boys form Munich would spend a few more design dollars on their interiors to bring them up to the level of the competition.
I agree that BMW interiors are different, however, I like the sporty, minimalist look. You also cannot deny that the build quality of a BMW interior is head and shoulders above the Jag and the Audi. Just look at the way everything fits together and the solid feel of the doors, the glove box, the switch gear, etc. Audi might look a little nicer, but it feels a lot more cheap in my opinion. With that said, everyone is different. I like BMW interiors, and that's why (among other more important reasons) I drive one. I fully understand its not for everyone.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XF SC vs. BMW 535i - Undecided