E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

INLINE 6er Vs V8 : better handler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007 | 03:42 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='491163' date='Nov 7 2007, 01:39 PM
No, just all season.
Then it makes sense to me. Snow tires helps more than AWD in bad conditions. Actually all season tires are illegal here in Sweden during winter months, too soft in summer and too hard during winter.
Old 11-07-2007 | 03:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='491165' date='Nov 7 2007, 07:42 AM
Then it makes sense to me. Snow tires helps more than AWD in bad conditions. Actually all season tires are illegal here in Sweden during winter months, too soft in summer and too hard during winter.
Thank you for first asking a question to find the FACTS before stating another FACT.
Old 11-07-2007 | 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

Wow

U people are nuts lol
Old 11-07-2007 | 04:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='491155' date='Nov 7 2007, 07:19 AM
You know, I am fed up with people that will only accept their own findings and experience and there is no weight for anybody else's. You have your experience and I have mine. I have driven in the north east for over 20 years and I have also heard all the horror stories about the BMW with RWD which kept me from buying the car for the longest time. I have stated my experience with snow tires compared to other cars that I have owned, if you don't like it then tough.
Have you ever lived out west? I happen to be born and raised east coast and grew up skiing in Vermont my whole life. I've had my fair share of driving in snowy days. From the days of drivng the family Chrysler LeBaron with Wood Paneling, to driving RWD sedans, SUV's/Trucks to AWD cars.

Making a claim that your AWD vehicle's in the past underperformed when compared to your 550 is ludicrous. The run-flats on my 530xi were "All Season" too. How much help were they after the first 2 inches were on the ground last year? Not much. The car didn't handle anywhere near that it did when I had snow tires on. I did a test to see how much snow would stick to the tire treads after a complete rotation. Practically all the snow stuck, thus creating a slippery surface. When I put my Blizzaks on, the difference was night and day. No snow stuck to the tires. This is what allows the car to handle thaand stick to it's designated path.

I'm sure if you took your Audi's back and threw on some Blizzak LM-25's, you'd be quite surprised at how much better it handles than your 550. There is no doubt in my mind.

And for the record, after spending the last 18 years in the west, there's a reason why chains are required on 2WD vehicle's, regardless of tires. The steep grades and hazardous turns are deadly. We're talking about roads that have 6 inches or more of snow already on them, with more snow coming down. Many of these cars can't continue through some of the passes. There's a reason all the 2WD cars are pulled over on the side and they allow the AWD cars with snow tires through. However, even the AWD cars have to show chains are in the car. They flashlight your tires to see what kind of treads you're on. They don't mess around.

As for ice and ice alone, it really doesn't matter what kind of car you're in. Everyone slides on pure ice, especially black ice, for those that live on the east coast.

Next time, before making a statement like this, try some snow tires on your AWD vehicle (should you ever buy one again). I think you'll be pretty surprised at the difference between that and your 550. In fact, I think you'd end up recanting your previous posts. That's how sure I am.
Old 11-07-2007 | 05:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='491185' date='Nov 7 2007, 08:53 AM
Making a claim that your AWD vehicle's in the past underperformed when compared to your 550 is ludicrous. The run-flats on my 530xi were "All Season" too. How much help were they after the first 2 inches were on the ground last year? Not much. The car didn't handle anywhere near that it did when I had snow tires on. I did a test to see how much snow would stick to the tire treads after a complete rotation. Practically all the snow stuck, thus creating a slippery surface. When I put my Blizzaks on, the difference was night and day. No snow stuck to the tires. This is what allows the car to handle thaand stick to it's designated path.
Please, have some respect to other people opinions especially when you don't have all the facts. All my other cars had the all season tires and my 550 is the first one ever that I put snows on. It definitly outperformed all my other cars including AWDs and SUVs. Again, if you don't likle my statements then tough...
Old 11-07-2007 | 06:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I have to say that my 550 is noticably stronger in the miderange than my wife's 335xi. The 535i is actually about 100 lbs lighter than the 335xi (ironic), but I'm guessing that a large number of buyers in colder markets will select the 535xi since the 'average' car buyer (not the averge BMW owner) sees price as the only draw back to the x drive. The 535xi is about 200 lbs. heavier than the 335xi. I'm getting off the point. Regardless of what numbers say, the V8 has more shove and a totally different sound. If I had to buy my car again the improvements in the LCI 550 (which I paid out of pocket to have on my car...19 inch wheels, body kit, dinan exhaust etc...) are significant enough to keep me in the V8, but a 535xi manual makes the best alternative choice IMHO.

DRP
Old 11-07-2007 | 06:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Is there some secret to your snow performance? I am in CT and I have a 07' 550 sport. I mounted Dunlop SP3 snows in 245 rear 225 fronts on the OEM 18s and even with 300 lbs. of sand in the trunk the car is a nightmare from 0-5mph. Once underway, the handling and braking stability are fine, but from a dead stop my car is a poor performer. ? You don't experience the same problem?

DRP
Old 11-07-2007 | 06:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='491226' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:45 AM
Is there some secret to your snow performance? I am in CT and I have a 07' 550 sport. I mounted Dunlop SP3 snows in 245 rear 225 fronts on the OEM 18s and even with 300 lbs. of sand in the trunk the car is a nightmare from 0-5mph. Once underway, the handling and braking stability are fine, but from a dead stop my car is a poor performer. ? You don't experience the same problem?

DRP
I went with 17" Blizaks (bought from tirerack with wheels) and was extremely satisfied with their performance. My driveway is about 300 feet incline of about 35 degrees and was able to get up it when covered with minimum difficulties. I did not have any issues running from stand still to the best of my recollection.
Old 11-07-2007 | 07:28 AM
Members

Anyone saying that a car handles better just because it has less weight over the front weels maybe should talk to owners of older Porsche 911... Yes, the weight is a big factor but there are so much more to it...
Old 11-07-2007 | 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Wow has this thread turned nasty. Have to say one of the things I like about e60.net is the mature people and the good debates. However the personal crap that is flying around here is just that - crap. So let's lay off the personal insults please.

That said...

I'll bet a 550 with 17" wheels and Blizzak WS50 snow tires will perform better than an AWD car with all-seasons. Once again, there are lots of factors here - and they include, the type of snow tires you have (say Blizzak WS50 vs LS22/LS25), the type of all seasons you have and of course tread depth on both sets of tires.

I do know that my 550 with 17" wheels and Dunlop Winter Sports M3 performed better than my wife's old RX300 with all-seasons, but her MDX with its truck tires crushes the 550 (as did her RX with snows).

Oh and we should also note that the AWD car with all-seasons often will still accelerate faster, but won't turn or stop as good as the RWD car with snows.

Quick Reply: INLINE 6er Vs V8 : better handler?