E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

INLINE 6er Vs V8 : better handler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='491031' date='Nov 6 2007, 07:46 PM
Good one! And excellent debating technique. When all else fails, insult your opponent. Stick to logical arguments, not name calling.

To me, the 550 handles better than the 535. Although I tried to ignore it, when I test drove both cars the 535 slipped on a tight curve, whereas the 550 did not. The 535 took more concentration to control, whereas the 550 felt like it was on rails - just point and go. I was so taken by the twin turbo and "better performance for better gas mileage" that I ignored my driving instincts. Although the 550 weighs more, its combination of enhanced suspension and 19" rubber has better road and handling feel than the softer-suspension 535 with 18" runflats -- to me.

Until one of the car magazines does a comparison between a 550 and a 535, all the debating, arguments and name calling are simply words and personal opinions.

Lou
I can only drill the point home enough before I loose my patients. But I guess you didn't read my other post, with FACTS.

Its wide spread knowledge to understand less weight over the front wheels equals better feel and quicker turn-in. Exactly what the new M3 is suffering from when compared to earlier M3's. But I guess to some its just to difficult of a concept to understand.

And according to individual tests, the 535i has recorded better handling numbers (better skidpad numbers).
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

My I6 will handle better than both the 535 and 550! Period!
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
On snow that is! (Except of course, for those with the 535xi)

Wait, I said that 89 posts ago. LOL!
Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='491035' date='Nov 6 2007, 07:50 PM
My I6 will handle better than both the 535 and 550! Period!
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
On snow that is! (Except of course, for those with the 535xi)

Wait, I said that 89 posts ago. LOL!
LOL, nice one C
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Members

I got to tell you about handling in the snow, I had E430 4Matic, A6 Quattro, and A4 Quattro. Last winter was my first with the 550 with snow tires, that was the best winter I had when it came to driving in snow and ice. Unbelievable, it was the best compared to all the AWD cars/trucks I had to date. So, I don't think an AWD car or truck has anything over a RWD with snow tires, especially a BMW.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='491042' date='Nov 6 2007, 08:20 PM
So, I don't think an AWD car or truck has anything over a RWD with snow tires, especially a BMW.

Are you serious, I had a A4 Quattro while I lived in Lake Tahoe, I wouldn't have been able to get around without AWD.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='491042' date='Nov 6 2007, 10:20 PM
I got to tell you about handling in the snow, I had E430 4Matic, A6 Quattro, and A4 Quattro. Last winter was my first with the 550 with snow tires, that was the best winter I had when it came to driving in snow and ice. Unbelievable, it was the best compared to all the AWD cars/trucks I had to date. So, I don't think an AWD car or truck has anything over a RWD with snow tires, especially a BMW.
You're kidding, right? I can't even believe I'm defending this, but let's see...

First off, I spent 5 years in Colorado and had a winter house in Lake Tahoe for 8 years when I lived in SF. I've been in just about every vehicle possible in the snow, with winter tires.

Since the 550 is your first BMW, I can speak from experience when it comes to comparing a BMW with both RWD and AWD. I had/have both.

I had an E39 530i Sport (RWD) with snow tires. Did it handle like my xi in the snow? Not even close. Did it handle decently? Sure. But when I got aggressive, I had no faith. My best friend had a Dinan 330i Sport with snow tires. After living in the Bay Area for 8 years, he decided to pick up his family and move back to Boulder. As much as he didn't want to do it, the car didn't last 2 seasons, even with snow tires (He ended up getting an S4).

The next time a major storm hits NY, how about you bring your 550 to NY with your snow tires. I'll slap my 18's with my Blizzaks on and let's see who holds the road better around turns and through traffic. I guarantee your 550 will not handle better than my 530xi in snow. Unlike you my friend, I've experienced 2 BMW's in the snow. One was RWD and one was AWD. Both had snow tires. Was it close? Nope.

Last year, I took my XI to a mall parking lot after a major storm. I had recently dumped the run-flats and wanted to see what my new Blizzaks, combined with my AWD, was all about. It was unreal. As hard as I tried to slide the car and cause it lose it's line around a turn, I couldn't. Only when I completely shut of DSC and pulled the e-brake, would the car slide.

I'm not sure how aggressive you drive, but I'm a very aggressive driver and I push my car hard in both conditions. I'm glad your 550 holds the road well in snow, but I doubt your car would handle better than the XI in a major storm. You might be able to drive and keep the car on the road, but you would also be a few miles behind me after an extended drive.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='491052' date='Nov 6 2007, 07:59 PM
You're kidding, right? I can't even believe I'm defending this, but let's see...

First off, I spent 5 years in Colorado and had a winter house in Lake Tahoe for 8 years when I lived in SF. I've been in just about every vehicle possible in the snow, with winter tires.

Since the 550 is your first BMW, I can speak from experience when it comes to comparing a BMW with both RWD and AWD. I had/have both.

I had an E39 530i Sport (RWD) with snow tires. Did it handle like my xi in the snow? Not even close. Did it handle decently? Sure. But when I got aggressive, I had no faith. My best friend had a Dinan 330i Sport with snow tires. After living in the Bay Area for 8 years, he decided to pick up his family and move back to Boulder. As much as he didn't want to do it, the car didn't last 2 seasons, even with snow tires (He ended up getting an S4).

The next time a major storm hits NY, how about you bring your 550 to NY with your snow tires. I'll slap my 18's with my Blizzaks on and let's see who holds the road better around turns and through traffic. I guarantee your 550 will not handle better than my 530xi in snow. Unlike you my friend, I've experienced 2 BMW's in the snow. One was RWD and one was AWD. Both had snow tires. Was it close? Nope.

Last year, I took my XI to a mall parking lot after a major storm. I had recently dumped the run-flats and wanted to see what my new Blizzaks, combined with my AWD, was all about. It was unreal. As hard as I tried to slide the car and cause it lose it's line around a turn, I couldn't. Only when I completely shut of DSC and pulled the e-brake, would the car slide.

I'm not sure how aggressive you drive, but I'm a very aggressive driver and I push my car hard in both conditions. I'm glad your 550 holds the road well in snow, but I doubt your car would handle better than the XI in a major storm. You might be able to drive and keep the car on the road, but you would also be a few miles behind me after an extended drive.
hmmmm.....snow.....must be a new rock group .....
Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Contributors

I'd also like to add that my BMW handles better than my truck/SUV in the snow. Makes sense though. Lower center of gravity and closer to the ground, so less chance of top heavy weight shifting the car out of it's line through a turn. One of the reasons Audi and Subaru have such great reputations for snow traction.

But hey Bimmerturn - You should contact the Audi and Subaru engineers and let them know that they've been wasting their time all these years. You've just figured out that RWD BMW's handle the best. I'm sure they'd love to hear your theories behind your findings.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='491052' date='Nov 6 2007, 10:59 PM

Last winter on the way to Whistler in a "puking" snow storm I ended up behind an e60 m5 , I was in my X5 4.4 with Scorpians , I'm not sure what he was running for snowies but he did an incredible job of plowing through some serious snow . I passed him on a long hill but he came up on me a few miles later and challenged. Interestingly I saw the car the next day in the town center and sure enough it was a real M no bogus badges no Xdrive. My sense was this guy could drive !! Most guys with Ms here put them away when the snow flies let alone put snowies and drive them to Whistler. I guess my point is that 2wd cars were the norm for along time before the xdrive and quatro features on modern day cars ..... a good car with 4 appropriate tires and a good driver is still a very solid answer to winter driving .... BTW most vehicles seen in the ditch or off the road to Whistler are AWD or 4WD !!!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='491064' date='Nov 6 2007, 11:19 PM
Last winter on the way to Whistler in a "puking" snow storm I ended up behind an e60 m5 , I was in my X5 4.4 with Scorpians , I'm not sure what he was running for snowies but he did an incredible job of plowing through some serious snow . I passed him on a long hill but he came up on me a few miles later and challenged. Interestingly I saw the car the next day in the town center and sure enough it was a real M no bogus badges no Xdrive. My sense was this guy could drive !! Most guys with Ms here put them away when the snow flies let alone put snowies and drive them to Whistler. I guess my point is that 2wd cars were the norm for along time before the xdrive and quatro features on modern day cars ..... a good car with 4 appropriate tires and a good driver is still a very solid answer to winter driving .... BTW most vehicles seen in the ditch or off the road to Whistler are AWD or 4WD !!!
LOL! OK, he was a fluke.

But I still stand behind AWD over RWD in the snow. Afterall, there was a reason you were in your X5 over your 550/E39 540, right? You preferred having the AWD. I've been in 2 accidents in RWD cars going down I-70 to Vail, both cars of which, had snow tires and good drivers.

Quick Reply: INLINE 6er Vs V8 : better handler?