E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport
Cool

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1058337' date='Nov 19 2009, 11:09 AM
yes, she traded it on for a new 3 series also with a stick, said she wanted a smaller car. but that is what the salesman told me, so take that with a grain o'salt. i think she got rid of it b/c the warranty expired the same month. i wish there was a way to know when and why it went back to the stealer for service, but that would only add to my paranoia!

on another note, i love that it has no timing belt. when i took my wifes A8 to have the belt changed they didn't set the tensioner correctly and bent all the intake valves on bank 2. they rebuilt both heads, but i feel that it will never be the same again. i would have done the belt myself but by the time i bought all the special tools i wouldn't have saved any money. i've done several belts on japanese cars and am quite comfortable doing it. just one less concern for my 545i.
Two problems here. First, a car salesman told you that the previous owner of a manual transmission, sport, V8 BMW was a "little old lady". Did he also tell you that she only drove it to church on Sundays? Second, you believed him.

Better check to see if there is any sawdust in the engine oil.

BTW, are you interested in buying some oceanfront property that I have for sale outside of Phoenix, AZ?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='1061349' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:06 PM
Two problems here. First, a car salesman told you that the previous owner of a manual transmission, sport, V8 BMW was a "little old lady". Did he also tell you that she only drove it to church on Sundays? Second, you believed him.

Better check to see if there is any sawdust in the engine oil.

BTW, are you interested in buying some oceanfront property that I have for sale outside of Phoenix, AZ?

i did find some misc paper work hidden in the user manual, it has a womans name on it, her last name is japanese. i can't tell from the paper what her age is. my guess it was planted by the stealer to solidify their story...surely you agree with that don't you? i didn't see any sawdust in the oil, but i did find a lot of sand and other debris. i still can't find any cosmetic flaws on the car except one small scrape on the right rear rim.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

if us guys with SMG drive our cars w. no worries why would you?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

extended warranty would be a big plus in this case
Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

I was honestly afraid before purchasing mine also, mostly about the cost of repairs. But since i am a mechanic, i wasnt too afraid of taking on the challenge. This car is by FAR the most fun to drive. Takes corners with complete ease, is pretty quick (although i'd like some more power), and is so comfortable. I've put 4k miles on it in 6 weeks. I LOVE it.

However, it did have some issues when i purchased it. The waterpump was making lots of noise, a vent tube along the radiator was leaking along with a coolant temp sensor. The radiator was also leaking. The vent tube was cracked, causing no pressure in the cooling system. I feel thats why the waterpump failed. The radiator may have been just a cause of the culmination of everything. 2k$ later, it was fine. The dealer i purchased it from covered all the repairs (only owned the car two weeks when this happened).

No other major issues were in service history. Just oil changes and brakes. I'll probably shorten up the oil change intervals though. All other service in the car looked good. Just needed a couple cabin filters, an air filter, and it needs the brake fluid changed. I've done everything except for the latter.

I do have a powertrain warranty until 85k miles (bought it with 59k). Then i'll probably look into US fidelis or something along those lines just to cover my butt. I LOVE this car, and get so many compliments on it. I couldnt be happier. If something goes wrong with the engine, it should be covered . Oh, and i this 6 speed manual is SO much fun! 545 sports FTW!
Attached Thumbnails I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!-dsc_0003.jpg   I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!-dsc_0006.jpg   I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!-dsc_0016.jpg   I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!-dsc_0012.jpg  
Old 11-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1063144' date='Nov 26 2009, 09:51 AM
I was honestly afraid before purchasing mine also, mostly about the cost of repairs. But since i am a mechanic, i wasnt too afraid of taking on the challenge. This car is by FAR the most fun to drive. Takes corners with complete ease, is pretty quick (although i'd like some more power), and is so comfortable. I've put 4k miles on it in 6 weeks. I LOVE it.

However, it did have some issues when i purchased it. The waterpump was making lots of noise, a vent tube along the radiator was leaking along with a coolant temp sensor. The radiator was also leaking. The vent tube was cracked, causing no pressure in the cooling system. I feel thats why the waterpump failed. The radiator may have been just a cause of the culmination of everything. 2k$ later, it was fine. The dealer i purchased it from covered all the repairs (only owned the car two weeks when this happened).

No other major issues were in service history. Just oil changes and brakes. I'll probably shorten up the oil change intervals though. All other service in the car looked good. Just needed a couple cabin filters, an air filter, and it needs the brake fluid changed. I've done everything except for the latter.

I do have a powertrain warranty until 85k miles (bought it with 59k). Then i'll probably look into US fidelis or something along those lines just to cover my butt. I LOVE this car, and get so many compliments on it. I couldnt be happier. If something goes wrong with the engine, it should be covered . Oh, and i this 6 speed manual is SO much fun! 545 sports FTW!

very nice unique color!

Want more power , be ready for mods.. Be careful you would be broke quickly! btw Welcome!
Old 11-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by miguex' post='1063155' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:25 PM
very nice unique color!

Want more power , be ready for mods.. Be careful you would be broke quickly! btw Welcome!
Thanks! I love the color. I havent seen too many of these. Has anyone really tapped into the computer as far as tuning? Any significant gains? I'd probably stick to intake and a tune. Although i'm not sure how restrictive the stock exhaust is.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1063825' date='Nov 27 2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks! I love the color. I havent seen too many of these. Has anyone really tapped into the computer as far as tuning? Any significant gains? I'd probably stick to intake and a tune. Although i'm not sure how restrictive the stock exhaust is.
Great looking car. The color is really unique.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, 60yr old ladies don't drive a 6spd 545s. So I don't know about that.

Second, (as stated above) you are worrying too much. If you will be worried like this all the time, sell the car for more then what you paid for it, and buy something that "you think" will be reliable. .... like a Honda