E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

80k on my 545i. Beat the shit out of it daily. Headers, exhaust, intake... These cars were meant to beat on IMHO. When I don't drive it for awhile, that's when it bitches at me about something. Stop worrying.

Originally Posted by Al/545i' post='1056326' date='Nov 16 2009, 05:17 PM
I am going through the same thing, Got a '04 545is for 23k with 39k on it, blk on blk 6sp manual (also the reason I bought it). I had (still have) a '95 352is and it has lasted me for 75k / 7 years and it always started and drove and I did all the work myself. Now with the 545i I am scared of electrical glitches, although I drive the car like it is meant to be driven every day (might as well if I'm paying insurance on it).

I do already have a i-drive glitch (doesn't turn on every now and then), did a search here and it looks like it has happen to others and a software upgrade may fix it. But as of now I hold my breath every time I start the car.

I would gladly trade the i-drive for a normal radio... If BMW was to make a car with least amount of electronics, even roll up windows, I would be first in line to buy it.....
Old 11-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1051908' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:27 PM
thanks guys, your words of encouragement really do help.
Go down the street and put a new batt in it; yours is likely the orig and may be near the end of its life. A new batt is like a good ins policy.

You can change the batt itself as others here have discovered. I did mine recently. No problems. No need to reprogram vehicle. Proof: When body shops work on these cars, they do not reprogram the cars.

A good strong batt will prevent strange and worrisome flukes.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1051886' date='Nov 10 2009, 04:51 PM
i just bought a 2005 545i sport. lovely car... paid a mere $26K, was a lease return from a 60 yr old woman, has 34k on the clock, it is flawless, not a scratch anywhere inside or out. it has a 6 spd manual...the main reason i bought it.

unfortunately........i've been reading all the reported problems in this forum.

it handles the curvy roads of northern cali with ease. it handles as well or better than my 300zx twin turbo, which was a HUGE surprise. i guess it will continue to do that until all that active steering and suspension BS starts to go wrong. and how about that valvtronic hooey...how long until i need 4 cams 75 rockers, 2 new servos and 2 new heads???? at 75K...100K miles?

so now i'm afraid to drive it. i've had it for a week, put only 50 miles on it. i'm just so afraid that something will go wrong with it. i'm also aware that you can't even walk into a BMW service dept without having at least $1000 chunk taken out of your ass.

i almost worked up the courage to drive it to work today but decided to drive my stone cold reliable F250 diesel truck instead. tomorrow i'll either drive the truck again or ride one of my motorcycles.

i feel like this car is a dead albatross hanging around my neck (ancient mariner). i even cringe at the thought going into my garage b/c i will have to look at it.

my cd player shuffles for no reason when there is no CD in it. i've read here that can be a symptom of a bad battery..checked the voltage last night with a high quality instrument...says 12.12 volts....is that a low reading, i mean voltage is voltage right? it starts up with authority, doesn't seem like a bad battery would start it so well. the cd player has to be an omen of what is to come, this thing will haunt me forever.

now all i can do is regret the 26k that is no longer in my savings acct. maybe i don't have the guts to be a BMW owner and should just go back to driving a nissan.

this is buyers remorse and fear of german car gremlins all mixed together, i've never felt so bad after buying a car as this.

what the hell is wrong with me? WTF!!!!!!

comments please.
What else are you gonna do with your money? Have you ever seen a hearse with a luggage rack?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Originally Posted by response_surface' post='1052509' date='Nov 11 2009, 01:07 PM
thank you sir! that makes me feel much better, nice to read something that states that the 545i is a reliable car! now maybe i can let go of my twin turbo Z without any regrets.
What a surprise! I still miss my Fairlady Z TT. It was way ahead of it's time and still has some of the best ergonomics to this day. I modded mine to stage 3 and had absolutely no problems. That car was bulletproof.

Things change and that was about 10years ago and I need a 4 seater now. My 545 is as close to the joy of the Z as I could get. Just get an extended warranty and drive it!

W
Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

Originally Posted by lospice1' post='1056526' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:45 PM
What a surprise! I still miss my Fairlady Z TT. It was way ahead of it's time and still has some of the best ergonomics to this day. I modded mine to stage 3 and had absolutely no problems. That car was bulletproof.

Things change and that was about 10years ago and I need a 4 seater now. My 545 is as close to the joy of the Z as I could get. Just get an extended warranty and drive it!

W

damn i wish you hadn't said that. i was already prepared to sell my z32 TT. i fear one day i'll wake up and really regret not having it.

you're correct...so ahead of its time. i wonder if they will ever be collectible cars still worth big bucks like the turbo supras already are?

mine is stage II, jwt ecu, exhaust, gutted precats. it must have close to 400 hp at the wheels. i wonder how much its worth, 5k maybe?

one would have to spend 60 or 70k nowadays to get that kind of hp.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

sell the Z for 6k, get a great warrantee for 2k and use 3k to mod up your e60. Take the 2k left over buy a decent suit, take a road trip to some place like Vermont and bring your favorite CDs. Get a nice dinner, a good glass of your favorite booze/wine and engage a kindred soul whom you fancy. Take a deep breath and relize life is a one lap race and money is dirty paper, RIDE THE WAVE WHERE IT TAKES YOU!!!! enjoy life and most certainly enjoy your damn car, its a experiance not just transportation my man.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

sell the Z for 6k, get a great warrantee for 2k and use 3k to mod up your e60. Take the 2k left over buy a decent suit, take a road trip to some place like Vermont and bring your favorite CDs. Get a nice dinner, a good glass of your favorite booze/wine and engage a kindred soul whom you fancy. Take a deep breath and relize life is a one lap race and money is dirty paper, RIDE THE WAVE WHERE IT TAKES YOU!!!! enjoy life and most certainly enjoy your damn car, its a experiance not just transportation my man.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Schu Dog Nite' post='1056753' date='Nov 17 2009, 09:03 AM
fvckin brilliant schu... and also... quit being such a pvssy! drive like u stole her
Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If it scare you that much I will gladly take your car off your hands - for nearly $500
Old 11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1056774' date='Nov 17 2009, 09:27 AM
If it scare you that much I will gladly take your car off your hands - for nearly $500
$501

Quick Reply: I'm afraid to drive my 545i RANT!!!