E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idrive failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always carry a water jerrycan with me to wash my other bmw when i go to a car show to display. The water can moved and some 3liter of water spilled from the can into the trunk.

I noticed it after a while so no big deal, i put some towels in the trunk and removed the water and let the trunk carpet dry in the trunk with the lid open in the sun. Problem solved so i thought.......

2 days later my idrive system fried. No screen , totaly black screen, no radio, no nothing. I took the car in the dealership and they removed the carpet to find 1 cm of water in the space where the spare tire is located. Some water must have leaked to this space. Somehow this water reached a wire bundle and contamminated some connector. It made a short circuit and fried my idrive system.

They thought somehow the car had a water leak outside inside so they where just about to strip the car in search for a crack or space where water could come in the car outside to inside. I explained they did not need to search and that the jerrycan with water probably caused the water being in there.

They sayd it was under warranty and they have to order a new cable from Germany. I have to waith now 4 days for repairs.

I do think its normal its under warranty because i trunk is made to move things around yes? So spilling water is something that could be expected yes? I dont understand why a cable connector is in the spare tire space. They did not told me all the details but i expect to have this thing resolved as soon as possibel. I let you know......
Old 09-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad to hear they're going to take care of you under warranty. In my opinion, you're lucky. They could have easily said that the damage was caused by misuse or abuse since the car isn't designed to hold that much water in the trunk...
Old 09-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 23 2005, 02:37 PM
Glad to hear they're going to take care of you under warranty.? In my opinion, you're lucky.? They could have easily said that the damage was caused by misuse or abuse since the car isn't designed to hold that much water in the trunk...
[snapback]173985[/snapback]
Hmm maybe but i am still not convinced that a cable connector is in there. I know that there are cables on the sides of the trunk, the logic 7 amp is in there but that space stayed dry. So i still think its strange and i still think spilling some water in the trunk should not cause my system to frie. O whell, i hope they dont change there minds because i am not paying if they want money. I had 3 bmw 5 series before, i spilled water in them to and i never had this problem.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Senior Members

Update: just got the car back. Some 7 devices where fried, main computer, dvd drive, cd drive, some electrick stuff, cables.... All in all a major repair under waranty. There was even a hole burned into the elektrick connector of the cables so it all devices where short circuited.

So thumbs up for the exelent bmw service. Only a little dissepointment that i can no long transport water in my car without the risk of a major failure when i spill water. So i wont do that anymore. Lesson learned!