E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Drive, Logic 7 and Nav Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that each time one returns to their E60 the I-drive waiver must be acknowledged by pressing the controller. We're stuck with that in the US and nothing will change it.

However, I would prefer that after pressing the controller the I-drive would return to the last screen that I had showing when I turned the car off, including the previous menu item. For instance, I usually have my CD Changer playing on the left portion of the screen with the Nav map on the right hand portion. I notice that sometimes after pressing the waiver if I go the Entertainment menu it puts me down to the track level of the last CD to which I was listening. Other times it puts me at the top of the Entertainment menu and I need to toggle down 2 levels to get back to my tracks. What can I do to ensure I always go back to the track level, which is where I usually have I-drive when I turn the car off?

Also, is there a list available to us of all the voice commands that can be used with the system? I can guess many of them, but wouldn't mind reviewing a list (however long).

Is there a way to initiate the radio display signal (RDS) that shows what type of music the station plays along with the song title, if available?

Last, I notice with the Nav that when I ask for destinations (such as restaurants) around a location I am provided with a list of them in order of proximity. When I scroll to the end of the first 10 or so, the screen shows there are more options below, but the I-drive controller resists further scrolling (it resists the next turn - someone referred to it as feedback, I believe), which doesn't make sense to me since in many big cities there are 100s of restaurants within a few miles and I'd like to scroll through all of them. When I still turn the knob past the resistance point more restaurants show up, so why the feedback/resistance?

Overall, I must say, the 545ias handles very well. I just can't wait until I'm through the break-in period so I can truly experience the torque.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gs4rx3' date='Apr 8 2004, 04:20 AM
Is there a way to initiate the radio display signal (RDS) that shows what type of music the station plays along with the song title, if available?

Last, I notice with the Nav that when I ask for destinations (such as restaurants) around a location I am provided with a list of them in order of proximity. When I scroll to the end of the first 10 or so, the screen shows there are more options below, but the I-drive controller resists further scrolling (it resists the next turn - someone referred to it as feedback, I believe), which doesn't make sense to me since in many big cities there are 100s of restaurants within a few miles and I'd like to scroll through all of them. When I still turn the knob past the resistance point more restaurants show up, so why the feedback/resistance?
1. Don't think the 5 radio has a PTY (program type) function. Track titles are only available on digital stations (DAB or Sirius).

2. The i-drive 'jogging' feedback happens when you have a big list to scroll through. I think it is there to aid you if you are on the move and cannot give the screen your full attention - to let you know you are doing a fast scroll.

The other points I agree on, hopefully this will come as a refinement of the software.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

The in dash CD player supports CD text. But usually only burned CDs have the text.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Members

The jogging feedback is very strong on some of the menus - it even feels like I'm forcing the controller too much and it might 'snap' (or do something bad to it). I'm surprised BMW would make it so strong. Is there a source we can turn to to find out 1) if there is a way to change it and 2) if forcing it does any harm?

Does anyone have answers to the first 2 questions besides holding out hope for a software upgrade?