E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Please select one of the following:
Half an hour, maybe an hour
56.12%
A few days
24.46%
A week or so
10.07%
A month or so
2.88%
I´m still not used to it
6.47%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

How long did it take you to get used to iDrive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

took me about less than 10 mins use the idrive.
this is nothing compare to vista.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='463205' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:02 PM
So what is so hard about.. up, down, left, right, push, roll left, roll right... There is like 50 different things you would have to learn to know every option. My parents have the GODS GIFT Idrive in their audi and it is the same except for the "go to buttons" and the new Idrive preset buttons to that. I can say the air flow being in the idrive sucks but that is the only down side.. IDrive IS STUPID SIMPLE... really what is the issue? I had a 335 as a loaner for a day and you know having the Idrive was greatly missed. My hand rests on the nob and it is second nature..... it is much easier than going through the button push on the dash or having to use the wheel buttons

I don't think anyone's saying it's hard, it's the poor execution and slow responses that create the challenges. As other posters have said, on pre-LCI cars with professional navigation it's particularly acute with sometimes 2 to 3 seconds elapsing between user input and system response. The navigation system itself is, as I posted earlier, by far the weakest link - though all modules suffer to one degree or another.

I pose just one (and, in my view, rhetorical) question:

If your television set, your home computer, or your cable or satellite box responded as slowly and as inconsistently as iDrive, would you be happy with it?

Also, to those posters who questioning the IQ of the auto journalists or posting that the journalists are criticizing iDrive simply to create controversy - these are, by and large, the same journalists that review vehicles other than BMW and typically note that they prefer (or even praise) Audi's MMI, MB's COMAND and the Flash based interface on higher end PAG products compared to BMW's implementation. It's not necessarily that they don't get iDrive - they just don't like it, and think others have done a better job with the concept that BMW admittedly pioneered. Generally, their negative comments focus on the reasons that I and others have mentioned.

BMW's issue seems to be a combination of poor hardware and poor software. MMI and COMAND react almost instantaneously to user inputs and with offer richer visual interfaces. As owners of the finest sedan in its class, E60 owners should be demanding the same.

Final cases in point - Apple (already mentioned by other posters) and TiVo. Two companies that are utterly devoted to the concept of the user experience and who specialize in making complex feature sets and functionality easily available to those who need them, yet transparent to those who don't. If either of these two organizations were given the opportunity to recreate the iDrive interface and user experience, do you think the result would be anything like the system we have today?

FWIW I used to feel the same about iDrive as some of the posters on this thread. As an E60 owner I initially couldn't understand the criticism - but over time, with frustrations of poor speed and poor design (and the benefit of using competing systems which I considered to be better) I came to the conclusion that it was justified.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Using the iDrive came easy after spending nearly a year here prior to actually getting the car. So functionally I could use it and as my expectations were fairly low on speed and real logic to the menu layout I adapted rapidly. I do like the ergonomics (puck placement, direction, and "enter"), screen location and many of the choices available to control. BUT as swajames has pointed out there are several lapses in the total package making the total experience less than what it should or could be. I live with it as it (iDrive) has trained me to expect less. But the implementation and subsequent user/owner experience could be so much better IF they gave it the attention iDrive deserves as the centerpiece of the cars' interface with the driver/passenger. To simply "append" an interface to a fine driving car is not the best way to win over new owners or keep the ones you have. I do realize a lot of effort went into this implmentation and some very smart engineers were involved so maybe "append" is rather a harsh assessment. But maybe if less ENGINEERS had been involved and more operators/drivers and users of other modern interfaces had been included we could have been better served.

I am a user of technology dating back to my ABM radar days (pre-START treaty) when I had to remove the memory drawer (weight about 25 pounds) and place on a machine that looked like a cross between a drill press and flat bed milling machine. Adjusting the x and y plane dials to get to the right core I would then bring down the handle to place the electromagnet just above the core and press the button.... ZAP, ah thats a "1", or ZAP again and thats a "0". Always a maintainer, then manager of systems operations often receiving what "engineers" said I needed I was in constant battle to get what I needed to operate to track a sub launched missile, a ballistic re-entering body (powered or free flight), satellites, Manned Apollo missions to the moon and back, hunt for submarines or financial and human resource systems to manage my programs. Most times someone else always tried to tell ME what I needed. On those rare occasions when I had CONTROL (and the $$) and I (or my operating organization) could specify what was needed and not accept anything less, the results were soooo much better. We are in a similar situation with BMW. They are telling us how and what we need instead of the other way around. It could be that BMW suffers from from what their provider gives them, but still BMW at least lays out the specifications and requirements. If they are getting what they asked for then shame on BMW. If they are not getting what they asked for then shame on BMW again.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='461910' date='Aug 23 2007, 09:18 PM
Thank you and danke!
It certainly took less than a half hour to get used to it. It is pretty easy to use, particularly if you are computer literate. The problems with I-Drive are not conceptual, they are related to the fact that (on my version) you still have to go through multiple screens to get where you want and it is relatively slow. It has been gradually improved over the years and the LCI version is yet another upgrade. I had a touchscreen on my LS and would never want another one after the I-Drive, even with the multiple screen/speed issues.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Contributors

When I got my very first e60 and the sale rep was about to show me how the i-driver works i interrupted him and told him: hey i am late for a meeting. I play with it later. Before coming to my first light, i was gatorating and clicking like when I got my first "hardisk-less" 8086 pc Of course you do not remember those.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I learned how to use it in an hour or so but truthfully it took me a couple of days to get used to it. Once I became used to it I was able to go directly to whatever menu I was looking for.