E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Felix!

I am sourcing locally for a used E39 GPS antenna for faster results. If that works well, then I will take my time to run the cable which I ordered and paid to the real location....

Can't wait to get NAV working....

=)
Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by vegadonovan' post='967297' date='Aug 6 2009, 06:12 AM
Sigh.... So when its prewired means that you have the blue cable hanging behind the dash. I checked last time, there was nothing behind the dash except the black one for the radio. I got my OEM antenna today... But it came without the blue cable. And thus I have CCC, antenna and nothing in between =)grrr.

I have since placed the order and expedited the order. It will arrive earliest next week. In the mean time I am trying to figure out if there's anything I can use to connec up the 2 together to check if it works.... It looks like a coaxial copper in the plug... Any idea how to test it ? can i just use a copper wire and establish a connection in the meantime....

I am happy for you =) enjoy the lady speaking haha
Get ur butt to Radio Shack and pick yourself up an antenna.....get any GPS antenna right now and get the correct Fakra connector for your unit....cut wire place on and crimp!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vegadonovan' post='968188' date='Aug 6 2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks Felix!

I am sourcing locally for a used E39 GPS antenna for faster results. If that works well, then I will take my time to run the cable which I ordered and paid to the real location....

Can't wait to get NAV working....

=)

hey man how'd that work out for you? I'm running nice....
Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

My car is prewired. All I need is a CCC and a widescreen monitor right? A dealer would then have to code it? How much do you think these parts would be from a wrecker? Cost for the coding?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Members

I really seriously hope that radioshack is here in this country. I spent the entire day looking for a GPS antenna like everybody said and came back with nothing. They just are no retrofit enthusiasts in this country to create a market for these things to be sold seperately rather than in the box with the Headunit or something.

Then I decided to get the Fakra connector cable since its an industry standard connector from our " radio shack" (the ONE place where you need to be for all micro electronics and stuffs. No luck as well. Was angry and half disappointed. Why half? Because I half expected it so.. =(

So I got the GPS Aerial cable from the stockist. Blue female connectors both end- one free swinging for odd angle connections and the other end fixed at 90 degrees or so.

I WILL FIX IT IN TODAY. Please deliver me from this evil.... =P

If this works, then I will get the voice command microphone and start driving like a pilot.

On the side note, I will be fixing in the floor well lights since there's some work to be done today. Will post some pics after that =)

Good day to all you guys who had been delivered. =)
Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by speedmeister' post='973124' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:17 PM
My car is prewired. All I need is a CCC and a widescreen monitor right? A dealer would then have to code it? How much do you think these parts would be from a wrecker? Cost for the coding?
And at least the Fan harness for the CCC.

=)
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Members

WTF....

HAHA IT WORKS NOW.

This is the prelude. I am still at the workshop. Sharkfin is out now. I will post pics later on.

Thanks for all the advice and whatnot!

GREAT!!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Members

ok, now for the pics and the long version for those who are going to do this.

1) Besides having the CCC, 8.8 inch monitor, I-Drive HIGH version (8 directional pushes and haptic feedback), you will need the following:

2) CCC fan cable otherwise you got to fabricate using normal fan wires- nothing wrong, its just not pretty.
3) GPS Ariel cable female connectors both ends BLUE in color. termination is like this \ form a straight line.
4) GPS antenna because mine had the antenna but doesn't have GPS male termination. Please see the pic I took of my old antenna.
5) Voice command cable and MIC- for voice commands.
6) The spilt button looks nice but can live without on the console. Yes I can't live without it. I will buy it haha.
7)All other cables like pre05 are not needed for me.
8) the "V" cable is not required for me even thought I bought it.

First I plug the GPS arial cable into the CCC and into the new antenna that I bought. I checked the one in my car, Though they are plugged in, if you remove them , you will find that they were plugged into empty holes.

then I plug the antenna into the open to test if GPS works without starting work on the sharkfin JUST in case it doesn't work due to bad CCC or something. After plugging in, it will NOT work straight away. It tool about 15 minutes to associate. This was courtesy of refaie1 that I know what to expect without calling it off and killing everyone in the vicinity.

Once I find it working and talking in ladies voice, work started on the shark fin and routing the cable on the side of the headliner. It was not that bad. took about 15 minutes to route and pull out the door seals. Of course my installer does the work.

Then testing voice commands. Took a while to realize that the commands needs to be spoken in German. I can't make it english even though Navigation is in english and text is in English. Well I didn't have the proper mic but I use a PC mic to test it first by tapping the 2 wires together and it works. Novelty and of course german impresses the whole world over here in summerland.

By the way, the lady sounds muffled and too fast. Like recorded with no treble response.

Enjoy the pictures I took today.
Attached Thumbnails Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-18082009039.jpg   Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-18082009037.jpg   Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-18082009033.jpg   Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-18082009030.jpg   Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-18082009045.jpg  

Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-18082009047.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 525

okay. i did BUSINESS NAV retrofit also. i have 5 wires from sharkfin antenna: GPS, 2 x 800/1900 Mhz, 2 Sirius (yep, i have S693A SATELLITENTUNER preparation).
the GPS was brown cable from inside of antenna like 545felix have, not from 3 visible plugs on the back. so my 6 metres cable from PROFESSIONAL NAV fits ok in both plugs.

but! TCU unit without GPS raised unclearable error: "SOS System Malfunction..." i fooled TCU by inserting deadend FAKRA plug from SIRIUS preparation calbles in the leftside of the trunk.

now all ok. SOS button works with coordinates, they are translated from MASK to TCU.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

IF ANYONE NEEDS A GPS ANTENNA I HAVE A SPARE, PLUGS RIGHT IN!