E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Ok I guess I'm close to being finished. I have the 2008.1 DVD OEM, popped it in and there was no latency. It pops right up. Finds everything. PROBLEM is, that the navigation thinks I'm in Los Angeles California. I'm not! I've checked under my sharkfin and I have three connectors....black, blue and maroon. On the back of the CCC two of them are directly connected (black / blue) I believe black is stereo antennae and the blue is navigation antennae. So everything is fine there.....

Is this some kind of coding issue with the CCC? Supposedly they updated my ECU. Prior to doing that it did have bluetooth in the CCC options and asked me to pair my phone. Not it states that mobile phone is not installed.

Keep in mind that this car was all prewired from factory with a 12/2003 build date. I don't believe I would have gotten the BT option in the CCC if a BT module was not installed. I'll check that later to be sure.

About the location, does anyone have input? It's quite possible they screwed up because there is no coding either for MP3 playback in either drive but the aux port is available in the menu now. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have them take care of this BS.

BTW Voice commands are working perfectly fine too.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='958675' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:07 PM
Ok I guess I'm close to being finished. I have the 2008.1 DVD OEM, popped it in and there was no latency. It pops right up. Finds everything. PROBLEM is, that the navigation thinks I'm in Los Angeles California. I'm not! I've checked under my sharkfin and I have three connectors....black, blue and maroon. On the back of the CCC two of them are directly connected (black / blue) I believe black is stereo antennae and the blue is navigation antennae. So everything is fine there.....

Is this some kind of coding issue with the CCC? Supposedly they updated my ECU. Prior to doing that it did have bluetooth in the CCC options and asked me to pair my phone. Not it states that mobile phone is not installed.

Keep in mind that this car was all prewired from factory with a 12/2003 build date. I don't believe I would have gotten the BT option in the CCC if a BT module was not installed. I'll check that later to be sure.

About the location, does anyone have input? It's quite possible they screwed up because there is no coding either for MP3 playback in either drive but the aux port is available in the menu now. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have them take care of this BS.

BTW Voice commands are working perfectly fine too.
the donor car that you got the CCC from had bluetooth, in a separate module in the trunk. For you to have it, you will need to replace your 12/03 module with one from 9/04 or later and have the car re-coded for it. to get the MP3 to work, you need a separate MP3 coding retrofit on the retrofit options in the progman.

again, I don't have the north american retrofit instructions handy, but the sharkfin actually has FIVE connectors- three are directly attached, two are cables that come out and clip on to the headliner. Surely, if the car is pre-wired (mine wasn't) there must be a wire going from the sharkfin area to the CCC, with a blue connector on it.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='958727' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:06 PM
the donor car that you got the CCC from had bluetooth, in a separate module in the trunk. For you to have it, you will need to replace your 12/03 module with one from 9/04 or later and have the car re-coded for it. to get the MP3 to work, you need a separate MP3 coding retrofit on the retrofit options in the progman.

again, I don't have the north american retrofit instructions handy, but the sharkfin actually has FIVE connectors- three are directly attached, two are cables that come out and clip on to the headliner. Surely, if the car is pre-wired (mine wasn't) there must be a wire going from the sharkfin area to the CCC, with a blue connector on it.

The MP3 retrofit should have been done. I installed aux adapter from them. Explained what I needed and it's clearly on the workorder. As far as BT....Had my wife snap pics, she tried but I seen some other pics and this has to be it............cant see the date so I'll have to check. I wonder why they'd put one it if it wasn't compatible.

I'll look at the sharkfin again but i do remember three connectors just like that BT module.
Attached Thumbnails Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-dsc09147.jpg  
Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Senior Members

Here's the other pics........... So you don't think this BT unit will work? I could swear to you it was working before with this new CCC before they did some updates or something..... I thought a BT module is a BT module. As far as the connectors the black and blue connector are the same at the back of the CCC. I have the US retrofit install bulletin handy....
Attached Thumbnails Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-dsc09155.jpg   Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-dsc09156.jpg   Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-dsc09157.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Contributors

despite having the Bluetooth logo on there, that TCU doesn't support it. You'll notice the PK: field is blank (that's the passkey for bluetooth pairing.) Did you have MP3 capability before you started the retrofit? it may still need to be re-coded for it if the CCC didn't have it (the dealer has to add the MP3 coding from the retrofit menu in progman.)

here's a pic of my antenna. I didn't peel the liner back to get to the three plugs on the actual sharkfin, but note the brown cable. THAT's the GPS lead. ignore the right-angle side of the connector, you're looking for that brown cable. it might be tied back with electrical tape.
Attached Thumbnails Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-dsc00601.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Senior Members

You know.......Come to think of it the blue connector in the back of the CCC is the GPS Aeriel cable....x13393 and from retrofit instructions it appears that the problem is that the car has SA 606 and I have to swap out the cables.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

THis is bullshit. Took car back to dealer today.....they stated they did what I asked them and put the auxillary option in my menu. After some struggles, they finally enabled MP3 in the CCC. However I plug in my iphone to aux port and get nothing. I've tried several ipods an original Iphone and nothing. They used their classic excuse that they didn't install it so they can't take responsibility. It's a plug and play option plug. I plugged it in and there's nothing more to be done.
They brought me in the shop and showed me the computer showing AUX and then KMP3 on my car. I told them they had probably enable MP3 first and then do the Auxilary input. They said their new system doesn't require it. I'm not even sure they updated my ECU nothing. I'm at a loss.

So any suggestions?

My car still thinks I'm in california. I swapped the connectors out still nothing. THey told me the CCC is broken. That' also bullshit. Just like the told me my fan is broken....simply wasn't hooked up correctly because I forgot it was plugged into the CD changer plug. They said there is a HIP module in the device that's probably bad. It turns, thinks I'm travelling but wrong map displays....... I'm thinking of jsut scrapping the whole car and going back to my e46 out of frustration. I had my Double Din pioneer touch screen in there capable of playing videos, dvds, full ipod interface with charging and the car handled better. If I just had some straight answers I'd be happy. Dealer doesn't know shit.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='961666' date='Jul 31 2009, 10:59 PM
THis is bullshit. Took car back to dealer today.....they stated they did what I asked them and put the auxillary option in my menu. After some struggles, they finally enabled MP3 in the CCC. However I plug in my iphone to aux port and get nothing. I've tried several ipods an original Iphone and nothing. They used their classic excuse that they didn't install it so they can't take responsibility. It's a plug and play option plug. I plugged it in and there's nothing more to be done.
They brought me in the shop and showed me the computer showing AUX and then KMP3 on my car. I told them they had probably enable MP3 first and then do the Auxilary input. They said their new system doesn't require it. I'm not even sure they updated my ECU nothing. I'm at a loss.

So any suggestions?

My car still thinks I'm in california. I swapped the connectors out still nothing. THey told me the CCC is broken. That' also bullshit. Just like the told me my fan is broken....simply wasn't hooked up correctly because I forgot it was plugged into the CD changer plug. They said there is a HIP module in the device that's probably bad. It turns, thinks I'm travelling but wrong map displays....... I'm thinking of jsut scrapping the whole car and going back to my e46 out of frustration. I had my Double Din pioneer touch screen in there capable of playing videos, dvds, full ipod interface with charging and the car handled better. If I just had some straight answers I'd be happy. Dealer doesn't know shit.
test with a small GPS antenna and see if that resolves the location issue. as far as the aux, does it show the aux option on the screen? don't the iphones need a special adapter to get standard headphone (or in this case aux cables) to work with the jack? if you pop a CD with just .MP3 files on it in, do they play?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

545felix.........

That brown cable you have came with a retrofit kit correct? It looks like an extension for the FAKRA connector. I've tried swapping out the leads and I'm still not showing anything. The dealer did show a fault "GPS antannae not connected" so I'm not sure. I went ahead and ordered a different one that I can just plug into my unit and attach to the metal rollbar behind either the instrument cluster or my iDrive monitor. I have a feeling it's not picking up satellite. Although I have a pre wired car that aeriel antannae may only be for the BMW assist or Satellite. I found another FAKRA connector in trunk next to the TCU but I'll have to rip out the backseat to run it up to sharkfin....too much work, i'll wait for new one.

I am able to route and do everything. But my lat & long shows L.A....and no elevation. So it may very well be the antannae thing. TCU is not bluetooth capable and it's not really that important to me to have so i think i'll just leave it that way. Starting to miss my 06' G35 Coupe though.

MP3's play in both drives now.
I've tried with several Iphones, 1st gen and 2nd along with itouch. Doesnt need anything special. I will try one of those portable CD players though. (have to go buy this) I've use this type of jack in the e46's before I retrofitted it with the Pioneer AVIC D3's....with full ipod integration built in. So no special cabling needed...Just a MALE on MALE adapter.

The AUX does show up in the menu. But I plug anything in and it doesn't work. I have the connector in the back of the CCC correct because there's only one place for it according to the diagram, and the CCC Fan unit is functioning correctly. maybe I have a bad AUX port........"NO RETURNS ON ELECTRONICS" .... my ass, when I prove to them it's faulty. What do you think?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Senior Members

I just pulled out my Harmon Kardon system out of my E46. I'm gonna see if I can make this work in my E60 somehow.

Also I have a TCU manufactured May 03 2004.... pulled out it do you think that will work? If so can I just pop it in or will I have to get it coded in my CCC?

In case you can't see it too well:
__________________________________________________ ___________
84.11 6952218-01
232925 23
USA 03.05.2004
BMW EVEREST IBUS US
SW: 35 HW: 30
BT: 00E00C537848
PK: 0793
ESN: 146-02355468
<Barcode>
UIV0007272 EVUIBS22A3

NAD: This Device contains TX FCC ID: AXATR-423-A2 IC:4170A-12162
BT: Contains FCC ID: IHDT6CR1 IC: 1090-BT06
__________________________________________________ ____________

Any Idea what these numbers mean?
I'm getting close my friend lol
Attached Thumbnails Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit-img_0020.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help and Knowledgable opinions needed for E60 Retrofit