E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help on how to add hp to 525

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEAM M
Do the suspension too if u can then your car would drive and feel complete.
Thanks for all the responces guys u rock! What do u mean by do the suspension, i have a sport package but if thats not what u mean could u please explain?
Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Members

Is there anyone who has the bms powerbox and could tell me if it really works please?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by orlovskyy
Is there anyone who has the bms powerbox and could tell me if it really works please?
i sincerely doubt you would recognize the 10hp even if it actually delivered that. if you had a 10hp car, you would recognize a 10hp increase, but not on a car that already has ~200hp+. also, BMS shows 3 dyno graphs on their website with the PBX installed; only 1 of those 3 shows a 10hp increase--the others average about 3-4hp increases. i think only in seldom cases would one actually get a 10hp increase.

also, the "throttle remapping" is done based on throttle percentage, which to me means it is the same thing as what the SB does that i just explained 2 posts above--increases sensitivity of the pedal depression at a given distance, but does nothing for throttle lag. this is just a marketing ploy.

IMO the only benefit is the hp, and that is a negligible benefit.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i sincerely doubt you would recognize the 10hp even if it actually delivered that. if you had a 10hp car, you would recognize a 10hp increase, but not on a car that already has ~200hp+. also, BMS shows 3 dyno graphs on their website with the PBX installed; only 1 of those 3 shows a 10hp increase--the others average about 3-4hp increases. i think only in seldom cases would one actually get a 10hp increase.

also, the "throttle remapping" is done based on throttle percentage, which to me means it is the same thing as what the SB does that i just explained 2 posts above--increases sensitivity of the pedal depression at a given distance, but does nothing for throttle lag. this is just a marketing ploy.

IMO the only benefit is the hp, and that is a negligible benefit.
Thanks man for all the info. I have another question maybe u can answer for me completely off topic. I bought 4 door lock pins with bmw sings on top of them... How do u take out the existing once that r in there, i dont want to break them so im being careful with it. I tried turning them to the left and it feels like there on there realy tight and wount move...
Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Members

Never mind on the lock pins, i just used pliers and pulled it real hard and they came right out
Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by tuffluck

I have the Powerbox on a 525i. I don't know exactly how much HP or Torque it actually added, but you can definitely feel it. Here's a little background. My wife sometimes drive the car around as well. Back in May I bought and installed the PowerBox. I tried it out and noticed a difference and loved it. Soon my wife borrowed the car. I didn't tell her about the mod (for fear of her lecturing me about spending more stuff on my hobbies )and at the end of the day she got home and asked me "Did you do something to your car? It feels different.". She also said she felt a faster acceleration and sped up faster on the long onramp by our place. I then confessed to her that yes, I did put a mod in.

A few weeks ago, the check engine light came on. It turned out to be a bad ignition coil. I took the PowerBox out before sending it to the shop for fear that they might blame the PBX and void my warranty. I didn't tell my wife that I took the PBX out. Anyway, the car was fixed a day later and 2 days after that my wife took the car again and says "I thought they fixed the car?" "It's not as responsive as before it went to the shop."

Basing from my wifes experience, the PBX feel was not a placebo and she was actually feeling the difference. I still haven't put the PBX back in and will plan on doing it this weekend. On another note. I want to put it in soon because I also noticed that my gas consumption was better with the PBX installed as well.

Balbs
Old 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignorant people fill this thread with ignorant posts. You cant look at peak gains-nor do they advertise peak gains. You can see in much of the mid range there is more than 10 hp throughout the entire powerband and near peak power it drops off and only adds a few hp at peak.

However since area under the curve represents acceleration-10 hpe throughout the curve is much much more than 10hp achieved just at peak. 10 hp throughout the band is DEFINETLY really noticable, esp on a 215hp engine as the 525-

Its smoething you can argue until everyone is blue in the face but I have a pbx and cannot tolerate driving my car if I turn the box off-so I simply dont turn it off but every now and again Ill turn it off for a few days to remind myself of the difference.

The throttle response is spectacular-MUCH better and different than the spring booster. Whover pays 300 bucks for a sprint booster when all it does is boost the signal from the throttle and doesnt address the throttle map from the ecu is a big gullible person. I used to have a SB I bought used for 100 bucks and that was a waste.

the pbx for 300 bucks is a noticable power difference and the throttle is great. It also is not "just the throttle you feel" as you can turn "power off/throttle 100 percent response" and you feel the drastic loss of power compared to when it is "power on/throttle 100 percent"

There are 6 or 7 settings so you can vary the power and the throttle response by 30, 60 and 100 percent-

Sprint booster people will try to justify their purchase of a small resistor for 300 bucks whereas for the same money you get a small mini computer chip that is modifying multiple things to make your engine and throttle behave in a much more aggressive fashion--you do the math.

-10 cent resistor from radio shack for 300 bucks
-computer chips hooked into the ecu for 290 bucks..

easy decision.

And by the way whoever said you will gain 30 hp from an RPI exhaust and BMS is way off. You will gain maybe 5 hp from the exhaust and midrange hp with the power box--peak power will be up by 5-10---

You can change your car into a 530 by buying a 3 stage intake from bmw and then getting the proper software tune by sending in your ecu to Gintani and they program your car to work with the 3 stage intake to make a 530---the only thing the 530 has over the 525 and 528 is the 3 stage intake with appropriate tuning to take advantage of the low, medium and high rpm rutters of the intake compared to the single pathway in the 525/528 which makes the software have to compromise to work for all rpms and thus cant be tuned for maximum horsepower like you can with 3 stage intake that is much more flexible
Old 11-10-2010, 01:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Diamond
Ignorant people fill this thread with ignorant posts. You cant look at peak gains-nor do they advertise peak gains. You can see in much of the mid range there is more than 10 hp throughout the entire powerband and near peak power it drops off and only adds a few hp at peak.

However since area under the curve represents acceleration-10 hpe throughout the curve is much much more than 10hp achieved just at peak. 10 hp throughout the band is DEFINETLY really noticable, esp on a 215hp engine as the 525-

Its smoething you can argue until everyone is blue in the face but I have a pbx and cannot tolerate driving my car if I turn the box off-so I simply dont turn it off but every now and again Ill turn it off for a few days to remind myself of the difference.

The throttle response is spectacular-MUCH better and different than the spring booster. Whover pays 300 bucks for a sprint booster when all it does is boost the signal from the throttle and doesnt address the throttle map from the ecu is a big gullible person. I used to have a SB I bought used for 100 bucks and that was a waste.

the pbx for 300 bucks is a noticable power difference and the throttle is great. It also is not "just the throttle you feel" as you can turn "power off/throttle 100 percent response" and you feel the drastic loss of power compared to when it is "power on/throttle 100 percent"

There are 6 or 7 settings so you can vary the power and the throttle response by 30, 60 and 100 percent-

Sprint booster people will try to justify their purchase of a small resistor for 300 bucks whereas for the same money you get a small mini computer chip that is modifying multiple things to make your engine and throttle behave in a much more aggressive fashion--you do the math.

easy decision.

And by the way whoever said you will gain 30 hp from an RPI exhaust and BMS is way off. You will gain maybe 5 hp from the exhaust and midrange hp with the power box--peak power will be up by 5-10---

You can change your car into a 530 by buying a 3 stage intake from bmw and then getting the proper software tune by sending in your ecu to Gintani and they program your car to work with the 3 stage intake to make a 530---the only thing the 530 has over the 525 and 528 is the 3 stage intake with appropriate tuning to take advantage of the low, medium and high rpm rutters of the intake compared to the single pathway in the 525/528 which makes the software have to compromise to work for all rpms and thus cant be tuned for maximum horsepower like you can with 3 stage intake that is much more flexible
How much would it cost for me to do 3 stage intake and tuning? Also someone said chip makes their engine light come on...is that true?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Diamond

easy decision.
thanks for the clarification. i also agree the SB is crap. they market it as being able to remove throttle lag, which is false. the PBX's marketing sounds almost the same though with remapping the throttle, hence why i question what that even means.

the other thing i question is why do they allow you to turn 30/60/100% of throttle mapping on or off? what does that mean exactly? it seems like it would either remap your throttle, or it wouldn't. again, it sounds a lot like SB's green/red, soft/hard throttle lag remover idea. it seems to me like you either have increase throttle, or you don't. having in-between stages sounds like it's just increasing your pedal sensitivity depending on how sensitive you like it, which has nothing to do with removing any throttle lag.

how hard was it to install the PBX? the instructions on their website look a little scary. ever had warranty problems with it?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

I already ordered it and i went to the website to check the instructions and holy s***...... all i can say is i hope i get this done right.......

Quick Reply: Help on how to add hp to 525