E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Head Up Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007 | 01:34 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by ryanosborne' post='423610' date='May 12 2007, 08:48 AM
Yes, its something i would also like to retrofit! im trying to get together what is needed, but would love to know if any one has already done it!
I am pretty sure it's virtually impossible to retrofit as you'll require a whole new fascia behind the dashboard. The cost would be so inhibiting that it would be cheaper to buy a newer car with HUD fitted.
Old 05-12-2007 | 02:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='423604' date='May 12 2007, 09:05 AM
It's about the only option I don't have and, especially after reading this thread, I want it!

Is it possible to retrofit a HUD, if so, what would be the estimated costs?
I think there is even a different windscreen needed so it could be pricey....
Old 05-12-2007 | 03:06 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by pgilc1' post='423623' date='May 12 2007, 10:53 AM
I think there is even a different windscreen needed so it could be pricey....
Thats right ,the price of my cracked windscreen was quoted to me at ?785 by my BMW dealer ! Good job it was replaced under warranty.
Old 05-12-2007 | 03:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='423615' date='May 12 2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks ,it is a great comparison. 10 years ago mobile phones were seen by a lot of people (myself included) as flashy gimmicks. Pretty much the way that remote controls for TVs were 25 years ago.

Nowadays you can't buy a TV that doesn't have a remote and almost everyone has a mobile phone.And the argument as to whether a mobile it adds "value to our everyday lives" is highly debateable as it takes away as many freedoms as it brings. But thats a different matter entirely.

From previous debates I have had with you, it seems you consider everyone who orders options you don't rate ( eg Nav) to be a mug who wastes their cash. Even if this is not the case it sure comes across like that.

My previous post was written in a light-hearted manner, and I apologize if you took it the wrong way and were offended by it.

IMHO if I am going to buy a ?40,000 BMW ,from my personal point of view, it's a given that I will need to spend an additional ?7k minimum on spec. Thats how BMW work it and how they generate huge profits. If i wanted a cost effective motoring option I would buy a VW Passat.

The thread was about whether HUD is worth the money.The vast majority of people who have it think it is.

As they saying goes "Value is remembered long after price is forgotten". It all depends on what you value and what you don't...
Odd then that HUD - such a great drivers aid - isnt available on the two seater sports car in the range the z4? nor the three series, nor the 1 series - all cars that easily could break ?30-?40,000 in price if you wanted them to. Or is it something aimed at just 5 and 7 series owners as they know they like their toys?

I don't object to people spending money on the options they want for their car, in fact i positively would encourage it. What i do object to is the mentality that oh you have to have this option for resale, which is not necessarily true. Particularly, as we have debated before a ?2400 NAV option might add ?1000 to the resale value if sold say within three years - even less at say 5 years.

"it seems you consider everyone who orders options you don't rate ( eg Nav) to be a mug who wastes their cash." not true - if someone wants NAV or wants HUD, then by all means go for it, i merely defend those of us who don't buy those particular options from the 'OMG, how can you even survive without them?' mentality that appears.

And yes you're spot on with your options. The sticker price of my 535d M sport was around ?40000 and yet the final bill would have been around ?47000 if i'd paid sticker price for the car. But they were ?7000 of options i truely wanted. Not ?7000 of options that might help it sell a bit quicker come resale OR that get a popular vote on some forum.

What i dont do though is come on to forums and say 'oh i simply couldnt live without 19 inch rims' or 'i bought my 535d because it makes the 5 series so much more a drivers car' which is the sort of opinion that is being attached to HUD and NAV, etc. Those were options i wanted, but i certainly wouldnt look upon someone who didnt chose my particular options with the abject horror that seems to happen on here when you dont buy some particular option or other.

"The thread was about whether HUD is worth the money.The vast majority of people who have it think it is." and the vast majority of people who dont have it DONT think it is - exactly why options shouldnt be down to a popularity contest.

To the OP, if you're interested in it, check out a car that has it, test drive it, see what you think. With your new BMW being the drivers car that it is, i'm sure you'll love it no matter what spec you settle on.
Old 05-12-2007 | 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Heated thread! I live in very sunny climate and wear polorized sunglasses 80% of my time behind the wheel. If this did not render HUD useless, I would buy the option. I cannot see the the LED on a 3 series either.

Maybe BMW will find a solution to this problem by my f10 order in 2010.
Old 05-12-2007 | 06:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pgilc1' post='423594' date='May 12 2007, 02:26 AM
Personally, my 535d M Sport doesnt need 'red lined' to get the most out of its performance, i drive it on the torque curve not the revs. Probably the same with our other car - a z4 Coupe Si Sport - i've never felt any great urges to red line it, even when making the most of those lovely country roads we have here in ireland.

Merely saying i dont believe HUD adds ?900 of value to your driving skill (unless maybe it aint that great in the first place ) and certainly not to the cars value come trade in time.

But each to their own.
An HUD would definitely be of less value with the diesel, I hadn't considered the implications of that. The Z4 would be a different story for me.

But then there's the price They do seriously overcharge for it, even at $1,000 here in the U.S. But the UK price works out to about $1,800. I don't see myself paying that much.

Here in the U.S. GM offers an HUD on a few models for $350, or about ?175. That's a price at which I wouldn't think twice.
Old 05-12-2007 | 07:35 AM
Members

Anyone try to retrofit HUD? I would guess it could be done fairly easily and you could use the existing dash. I ask because I bought a used M5 and the HUD was not in the car. I knew I wanted it but could not help from buying the car anyway.
Old 05-12-2007 | 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Falb' post='423663' date='May 12 2007, 11:35 AM
Anyone try to retrofit HUD? I would guess it could be done fairly easily and you could use the existing dash. I ask because I bought a used M5 and the HUD was not in the car. I knew I wanted it but could not help from buying the car anyway.
I think the general consensus here over the years has been that the HUD retrofit would be way too expensive -- you can't use the existing dash, windshield, etc.
Old 05-12-2007 | 07:46 AM
Members

The dash would need to be cut obviously but the trim piece would cover the hole. The windshield could be handled with a section of window tint in the viewing area. So in that case it should just be the HUD display, trim pieces, bolts, etc and maybe a dealer program. There may also be a switch to turn it on and off by the lights but I am not sure. Has anyone priced the HUD display?

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='423664' date='May 12 2007, 08:37 AM
I think the general consensus here over the years has been that the HUD retrofit would be way too expensive -- you can't use the existing dash, windshield, etc.
Old 05-12-2007 | 08:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mkaresh' post='423658' date='May 12 2007, 03:43 PM
An HUD would definitely be of less value with the diesel, I hadn't considered the implications of that. The Z4 would be a different story for me.

But then there's the price They do seriously overcharge for it, even at $1,000 here in the U.S. But the UK price works out to about $1,800. I don't see myself paying that much.

Here in the U.S. GM offers an HUD on a few models for $350, or about ?175. That's a price at which I wouldn't think twice.
Ahh, well if I was going for Nav and i could add HUD for ?175, then yeah, cool, even if it were ?500 over here, then hmmm, maybe, but ?900 has to be taking the P! :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Head Up Display