E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Head Up Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007 | 07:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire' post='384100' date='Jan 27 2007, 01:55 PM
GET IT!!! You'll regret it if you don't.

I've got it on my car and it is amazing how much you miss it when you drive other cars without it. Especially when using Sat-Nav. Even turning it off on my car feels weird, I miss it immediately!

Combined with the Sat-Nav it's fantastic. It gives you arrowed, turn by turn directions with a countdown of the distance remaining until that turn smack bang in your line of sight. I think it is so much safer than looking down to your left at the iDrive screen.

It provides your current speed and Cruise Control info too. Don't even hesitate, if you're spending that much on a motor, what's an extra ?900???
I don't have a car with HUD, and really wish I did. Gotta wonder why BMW took so long to offer it, and why most other companies still don't.

If you ever drive challenging roads, HUD is invaluble for keeping the tach and speed right in your line of sight. The numbers appear to be floating over the leading edge of the hood even though they're projected onto the windshield. So you can keep your eyes on the road and still know exactly when to shift.
Old 05-11-2007 | 12:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='422611' date='May 9 2007, 07:42 PM
I drove an M5 for about 80 miles and wasn't overly bothered when I got back in my car without it. Its not essential and very expensive for what it is. IMHO the Idrive screen and dials are well placed in the five series. I would spend the money on other worthwhile options. Just my HO.
Exactly my thinking. If somebody really wants a particular option then fair enough, but its really ?900 down the pan, as its not going to add a bean to the resale value of the car come trade in time.

Also just driven 750 miles this week in my new LCI 535d M Sport and managed to survive it without HUD.... so it can be done
Old 05-11-2007 | 12:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mkaresh' post='423312' date='May 11 2007, 04:33 PM
I don't have a car with HUD, and really wish I did. Gotta wonder why BMW took so long to offer it, and why most other companies still don't.

If you ever drive challenging roads, HUD is invaluble for keeping the tach and speed right in your line of sight. The numbers appear to be floating over the leading edge of the hood even though they're projected onto the windshield. So you can keep your eyes on the road and still know exactly when to shift.
Personally when driving a manual car, i change gear based on engine note and when i feel the torque start to drop off, not when some little pointer tells me to. Or am i just old fashioned?
Old 05-11-2007 | 01:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pgilc1' post='423436' date='May 11 2007, 04:51 PM
Personally when driving a manual car, i change gear based on engine note and when i feel the torque start to drop off, not when some little pointer tells me to. Or am i just old fashioned?
You're clearly not getting close enough to the redline

Many people probably rarely if ever drive in the sort of situation where I personally find the HUD most helpful: quickly on a very curvy road.

I took a Mazda RX-8 through the mountains of West Virginia and the hills of Ohio once, and would have really liked to have a HUD. The Mazda does have a beep that sounds about 500 RPM short of the 9,000 RPM redline, which is the next best thing.

This is a case where the engine must be worked near the redline because the rotary has no low end. But I similar found the HUD helpful in the Chevrolet Corvette, simply because you get to the redline so quickly at full throttle.
Old 05-11-2007 | 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by pgilc1' post='423435' date='May 11 2007, 08:47 PM
Exactly my thinking. If somebody really wants a particular option then fair enough, but its really ?900 down the pan, as its not going to add a bean to the resale value of the car come trade in time.

Also just driven 750 miles this week in my new LCI 535d M Sport and managed to survive it without HUD.... so it can be done
I'm sure I've had this debate with you before .....

The thing with HUD is it takes a little getting used to. I loved the concept when I heard about it 3 or so years ago. However my initial drive in a HUD car led me to realise this wasn't going to be the full fighter pilot experience.

BUT since I purchased my car it took me about 2 days to get used to, and now I probably wouldn't buy a car without it. You say you "managed to survive without HUD" - Good for you. I'm sure some people survive without Mobile phones, doesnt mean they wouldn't notice the benefit if they had one.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mkaresh' post='423445' date='May 11 2007, 10:22 PM
You're clearly not getting close enough to the redline

Many people probably rarely if ever drive in the sort of situation where I personally find the HUD most helpful: quickly on a very curvy road.
Personally, my 535d M Sport doesnt need 'red lined' to get the most out of its performance, i drive it on the torque curve not the revs. Probably the same with our other car - a z4 Coupe Si Sport - i've never felt any great urges to red line it, even when making the most of those lovely country roads we have here in ireland.

Merely saying i dont believe HUD adds ?900 of value to your driving skill (unless maybe it aint that great in the first place ) and certainly not to the cars value come trade in time.

But each to their own.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='423481' date='May 11 2007, 11:25 PM
I'm sure I've had this debate with you before .....

The thing with HUD is it takes a little getting used to. I loved the concept when I heard about it 3 or so years ago. However my initial drive in a HUD car led me to realise this wasn't going to be the full fighter pilot experience.

BUT since I purchased my car it took me about 2 days to get used to, and now I probably wouldn't buy a car without it. You say you "managed to survive without HUD" - Good for you. I'm sure some people survive without Mobile phones, doesnt mean they wouldn't notice the benefit if they had one.
Yeah great comparison there - comparing a mobile phone which adds value to our every day lives to a wee arrow glowing on your windscreen...

For me HUD - its nice to impress your mates with, its a fun gadget, its nice to pretend it makes you a better driver, but its not worth ?900, and it adds ?0 to the value of your car.

But as i said, each to their own.
Old 05-12-2007 | 12:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

It's about the only option I don't have and, especially after reading this thread, I want it!

Is it possible to retrofit a HUD, if so, what would be the estimated costs?
Old 05-12-2007 | 12:48 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport Touring

Yes, its something i would also like to retrofit! im trying to get together what is needed, but would love to know if any one has already done it!
Old 05-12-2007 | 01:29 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by pgilc1' post='423597' date='May 12 2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah great comparison there - comparing a mobile phone which adds value to our every day lives to a wee arrow glowing on your windscreen...
Thanks ,it is a great comparison. 10 years ago mobile phones were seen by a lot of people (myself included) as flashy gimmicks. Pretty much the way that remote controls for TVs were 25 years ago.

Nowadays you can't buy a TV that doesn't have a remote and almost everyone has a mobile phone.And the argument as to whether a mobile it adds "value to our everyday lives" is highly debateable as it takes away as many freedoms as it brings. But thats a different matter entirely.

From previous debates I have had with you, it seems you consider everyone who orders options you don't rate ( eg Nav) to be a mug who wastes their cash. Even if this is not the case it sure comes across like that.

My previous post was written in a light-hearted manner, and I apologize if you took it the wrong way and were offended by it.

IMHO if I am going to buy a ?40,000 BMW ,from my personal point of view, it's a given that I will need to spend an additional ?7k minimum on spec. Thats how BMW work it and how they generate huge profits. If i wanted a cost effective motoring option I would buy a VW Passat.

The thread was about whether HUD is worth the money.The vast majority of people who have it think it is.

As they saying goes "Value is remembered long after price is forgotten". It all depends on what you value and what you don't...

Quick Reply: Head Up Display