E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Head Up Display

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='384098' date='Jan 27 2007, 06:38 PM
Regarding the HUD...
I am planning on ordering that option using the following rationale to justify the cost
- it might help me avoid speeding tickets (having the current speed in line of sight at all times)
- offers some safety when using Nav as you keep your eyes on the road while always being fully aware of the next navigation prompt
- also handy to be able to see easily if cruise is on and what the set speed it (I used cruise a lot, again to help keep my speed under control)
- it looks so incredibly cool (although you are the only one who can see it)

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~geb/HCII2003_HUD.pdf

Read the above when you have the time - a report that was the outcome of a study into the merits of using 'aviation' HUD technology within cars.

My view - we'll I flew military fast jets for years, hence my view is likely coloured by experience in that domain - most here seem to believe it's a positive feature - I take a less enthusiatic tone on BMW's implementation, its has merits and limitations. To make full 'safe' use you will need to train yourself to use this feature - many will not, this will unlikley support the 'safety' feature of the technology in my view.

If you condition your behaviour to the data availability/delivery it can be useful, drivers perceptual and cognitive abilities will be tested and will need tuning - as pointed too in the report perceptual and cognitive variables will influence in use. IMO the behaviour of many HUD users will likely cause additional confusion in some driving conditions - I believe this could be in the majority as, increasingly drivers in the UK at least, many seem less capable (I'm being polite here!) than previous generations.

I do have then HUD option and use it, not always though - I prefer to use preipheral vision for Nav outputs (& verbal), this possibly as I have trained vision and the speed of acceptance by my senses is much higher than most. To me the focused distance of the in-vison HUD data is not a plus when your focus needs to be much further forward.

As for the option being value - that's relative to the purchaser's view.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Members

I am convinced - I will add it to my order!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Members

I just ordered a LCI 525 too, didnt know about the electric blinds. I only have the old brochure which had manual blinds in there.

Dont think i've seen an upto date options list for the LCI. I went thru with the dealer on screen, and picked out the USB interface, but didnt notice the electric blinds in there.

What is the option code and cost of the electric blinds ?

Ive not gone for NAV or HUD. gonna use my tomtom instead
Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Members

Rear blind electric is code 415 and costs ?225.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i stock. 2000 Jeep Wrangler non-stock =)

Originally Posted by ats77' post='384158' date='Jan 27 2007, 02:53 PM
what a neat avatar ot.
Thanks! And my g/f thanks you too!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14
Talking

Grmpf... this forum is costing me a fortune!

I 've ordered an E61 530iaM (LCI) with SatNav and I could decide whether to for the HUD also. It's 13.900 SEK, or just above 1500 Euros, but after reading your posts you managed to persuade me too. Just e-mailed my dealer and said he could add that to. But now it's final!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Members

I agree, once you get this option, you will never do without........

I also foun dit particularly useful with the NAV option.......

Now i never have to take my eyes off the road, well except to respond to emails..........

k
Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by ats77' post='384103' date='Jan 27 2007, 07:15 PM
I have HUD and no NAV, HUD should be a base opt, it so cool and usefull very safe, congrats on your new ride
Huh? You can't order it in the UK without professional navigation. I'm surprised you have HUD and no Nav !
Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I drove an M5 for about 80 miles and wasn't overly bothered when I got back in my car without it. Its not essential and very expensive for what it is. IMHO the Idrive screen and dials are well placed in the five series. I would spend the money on other worthwhile options. Just my HO.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Tourind (e61) Auto - Delivered 9th June 2005 Olivin met, Electric Front Seats & Driver Memory, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, 6 CD, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth, HUD, PDC, Visibility Pack - Bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, Auto Air Con Advanced, Extended Voice Control, Sliding armrest, Split folding rear seats, electric lid, Auto Dimming Folding Mirrors, Trailer Clutch

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='422611' date='May 9 2007, 01:42 PM
I drove an M5 for about 80 miles and wasn't overly bothered when I got back in my car without it. Its not essential and very expensive for what it is. IMHO the Idrive screen and dials are well placed in the five series. I would spend the money on other worthwhile options. Just my HO.
Try 600 miles, using cruise control some time and speeding other times and going to a place you've never been befor (i.e. using the navigation).
When around my place, I don't use it, but when traveling or going to somewhere using the navigation, it's great and a lot safer (you almost never look inside the car).

My previous e39 was manual and I didn't miss an automatic gearbox.
Now I do when I use my wife's car (manual) instead of my e61

J_bucher

Quick Reply: Head Up Display