E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by pinguhk
never lison to a kid that dose not drive a e60.
Hankook V12 is what I would chose.
very good price and good performance
I will get a set from acuteperformance next time.
right now I have RE11 and love the tyres, the side wall is very stiff
If you love the stiff sidewalls of the Bridgestones, why would you switch to V12's next time? The V12's have incredibly soft sidewalls. My car swayed like an old Caddy with those things even after I increased the pressure to 42psi. If you really want some V12's , I have a full set in the garage gathering dust.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Originally Posted by 1BadDuc
Well, I bought a new set V12's and it cost me more in time, money, and frustration than I even imagined. After replacing 9 bad, out of round tires that wouldn't hold balance at all, I decided to kick the Hankooks to the curb. Out of those two tires I would absolutely go with the Potenza's. I have Falken 452's on my stock rims and they are actually quite a good tire for the price- something to look at if they have them down in OZ
Well... I've managed to find some Bridgestone Adrenaline RE001 that were only $150 more expensive than the V12s... the manufacture date wasn't that old either... so maybe I should go for that then? Still considering... the tire guys said that my rear Pilot Sport PS2s have approximately 2,000km left... T_T
Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006
Well... I've managed to find some Bridgestone Adrenaline RE001 that were only $150 more expensive than the V12s... the manufacture date wasn't that old either... so maybe I should go for that then? Still considering... the tire guys said that my rear Pilot Sport PS2s have approximately 2,000km left... T_T

Money well spent imho. $150 is small portion of what my Hankook experience cost me. $700 for the tires and another $400 in labor and renewed warranties (which Hankook refused to honor). All down the tube. The tires are sitting in my garage gathering dust. But soon I'll bring them out to the shooting range and give them a proper burial

Old 07-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006
That is a good price if they are $150 more than V12
I would not get the 001 I have tried it and they not as good as the RE11 (cost $1274usd)
http://www.tirerack....l=Potenza+RE-11
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Members

I just had to go thru this tire fiasco. I went to discount tire and had them put a set of continetals on and a set of Dunlops to see what they look like. I ended up going with the hard sidewall Dunlops. That being said other tires are much better perhaps but more $$.
I previously had the hancocks. The ride was decent. The Dunlops are riding better
Old 07-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Personaly, I only run Hankook on my BMW. I have a 750, M5 and a 550. Just bought a set for my 750 for around 450 a pair. Honestly I have benn using Hankooks since they have been intreduced to the market and very pleased.

I cant wait for my 550 to get rid of my runflats and put a set of Hankooks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

Originally Posted by syrousd
Personaly, I only run Hankook on my BMW. I have a 750, M5 and a 550. Just bought a set for my 750 for around 450 a pair. Honestly I have benn using Hankooks since they have been intreduced to the market and very pleased.

I cant wait for my 550 to get rid of my runflats and put a set of Hankooks!!!!!!!!!!

EXACTLY!!! I replaced the conti's and was just blown away on the performance of the Hankooks. I mentioned my impressions to a couple of other motorheads and they plunged, and love them as well. Great tire...
Old 07-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

My two cents after only two days and 150 miles...

If nothing else, the Hankooks are a MASSIVE improvement over the terrible Goodyear RS-A OEM tires.(Gee whiz, those were weakass tires!) I could tell before I was out of parking lot that the turn-in was almost miraculously better on the new V12's. They are VERY grippy and corner infinitely better than what they replaced. But most notably, they're quiet and comfortable, which is not always the case with a sport tire.

Now, does this mean there the greatest sport tire ever? Obviously not. I've had many sets of PS2's and other insanely priced but orgasmicly good tires, so I know a great tire when I'm driving on one. But clearly, the Hankooks are quite good, a marked improvement and, frankly, perfect for spirited driving of a wonderful German sport sedan. Let's face it, there's a law of diminishing returns in play here, and I'm just not willing to spend $1400 anymore when $800 will get me everything I need and 90% of what I want.

So there.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by TMack
Let's face it, there's a law of diminishing returns in play here, and I'm just not willing to spend $1400 anymore when $800 will get me everything I need and 90% of what I want.

So there.
I agree 100%
I splashed out on a set of RE11 and yes they are very good but at a price.
So next time I will try out the V12 which is about 40% less $$$ than RE11
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM
New Members

I used the Hancook Ventus high performance summer tires on my Dinan 7 and it felt like I was driving an old Buick. The ride was very smooth and luxury like, but no handling. Almost floating. Really felt like somebody changed my springs and shocks. Had Discount Tire remove them a week later for the Goodyear Eagle GS HP summer tires and wow, the sports handling came back to life. So my view is if you want a smooth luxury ride, Hancooks will do it well. But if you want to have real handling, avoid the Hancooks.

Quick Reply: Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire