E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Stopped by Discount Tire the other day to get air in my 2004 545i Sport Pak. Tread is getting low so I asked him about Hankooks. He was a kid mind you, he wasn't the sales guy, but he does puts them on all day long. He didn't recommend the Hankooks, he said Michelin Pilots and my Bridgestone Potenza run flat's were better. I asked him why and he said the sidewalls were stiffer.

What gives, I thought the overwhelming choice of tires around this board was Hankooks ?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

LOL, does he get paid off commission because those tires are easily twice the cost of the Hankooks. If you can afford the Michelin/Bridgestone than by all means yes they are a better than Hankooks but for your daily driver I've never heard of any issues. The Hankooks are a great bang for buck tire.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 2005 Model. Full spec so happy with as is.(for the moment!)

The problem with runflats are that the sidewalls are too stiff, no give, therefore a solid ride. I would have thought that runflat with a softer sidewall would be the better choice.
If I had the money I would swop out my runflats for normal tyres !!

Forum thoughts please.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by w84me
Stopped by Discount Tire the other day to get air in my 2004 545i Sport Pak. Tread is getting low so I asked him about Hankooks. He was a kid mind you, he wasn't the sales guy, but he does puts them on all day long. He didn't recommend the Hankooks, he said Michelin Pilots and my Bridgestone Potenza run flat's were better. I asked him why and he said the sidewalls were stiffer.

What gives, I thought the overwhelming choice of tires around this board was Hankooks ?
If you are talking about the Hankook Ventus V12 evo,they are not runflats!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Probably because they make more money off of the other tires. Sad how we can't talk to people in stores because they obviously have their agendas to push.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

a stiff sidewall might be good if:

1. the tire didn't weigh 30% more
2. you raced your car
3. the streets of the world were paved in butter.

that said, hankook ventus are a pretty good tire at a pretty good price, and i've never heard anything bad about them.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 05-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

10 to 1 they have Michelin and Bridgestone in stock
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
10 to 1 they have Michelin and Bridgestone in stock
He was just a kid that worked there, I kind of think he doesn't know better one way or another. I really think he was giving me his personal opinion with out bias.

I don't mind spending more, cause I am saving money by not buying a new car!! Its and expensive machine to maintain, so I may as well have the best on it in order to get all the performance I can for all the money that I've already invested in the car. Its not a daily driver, its a, lets get out on the road and tear it up once and a while machine!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Falken 452 on my 20" wheels for over 5 months now and have nothing but good things to say about it. Google it and read some reviews, and always check out discount tire website and read reviews people have posted on any specific tire you may choose to go with.

Oh and stay away from RFT, they suck.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by w84me

Everyone will have a different opinion based on their experience and needs.

As was suggested, in addition to reviews at Discount Tire try Tirerack.com too ... they have a long standing reputation for objective testing of performance tires.

Quick Reply: Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire