E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
09/11?
haha, hilarious that I didn't catch that. He told me the first number of 03/11, I must've written down the other one wrong because it's here on my sticky note with 09/11... must be 09/10. oopsie.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

No! It is week 9 ,2011
Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Show of hands - anyone, other than OP have a problem balancing their Hankooks? Any other issues?

Not to be unfair to you, but posting a thread knocking a perfectly good tire just because you had a bad set - hardly fair. Now, if many people have same problems, I will be inclined to agree with you.

PS If you're the only one with this issue, it is an issue with your installer - not tires. How much more were the Michelins? You think they make more profit on a more expensive set?
No balancing issue with mine whatsoever. Great tires IMO. They hook really well from a dead stomp when dry, handle well in the rain, and they're quiet (for 19's) on the highway.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by w84me
Stopped by Discount Tire the other day to get air in my 2004 545i Sport Pak. Tread is getting low so I asked him about Hankooks. He was a kid mind you, he wasn't the sales guy, but he does puts them on all day long. He didn't recommend the Hankooks, he said Michelin Pilots and my Bridgestone Potenza run flat's were better. I asked him why and he said the sidewalls were stiffer.

What gives, I thought the overwhelming choice of tires around this board was Hankooks ?

Kinda need to arm yourself with a little knowledge before buying or feeling the water these days. Can't simply take people for face value.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Hmmm... my front Michelin Precedea and rear Michelin Pilot PS 2 are about done... and I was doing some research about the Hankook tires (because [1] apparently Michelin Australia don't stock Pilot PS 2 anymore in the 275/30 19 and 245/35 19 and [2] I can't afford PS 2 x 4) and Bridgestone Potenza RE001.

Now the tires here for Hankook and Bridgestone were $1,500.00 and $2,000.00 respectively. (Not only are cars expensive here in Australia but also tires it seems)

All the guys are saying that Bridgestone would be better choice...

Could all of you help me with this choice? Michelin tires are out of my range for now...

It's either Hankook K110 or Bridgestone Potenz RE001.

Just opinion about their performance and wear would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I've been using Hankooks for a while, one set of 20s and two sets of 19s. The fronts on the set I have now won't smooth out. I have had to balance the fronts at least 6 times in the past few months. I even had a minor out of round repair done to a front rim, but it wasn't the issue, still shimmy in the steering wheel. I'm expecting 2 new Hankooks to replace the fronts tomorrow so I'll post the results to see if the shimmy is gone. Maybe I got a bad lot #. It's super frustrating driving my car with the steering wheel shaking, but Hankooks have always been a good tire for the $$ so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.....for now .
Old 07-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by PlanB
I've been using Hankooks for a while, one set of 20s and two sets of 19s. The fronts on the set I have now won't smooth out. I have had to balance the fronts at least 6 times in the past few months. I even had a minor out of round repair done to a front rim, but it wasn't the issue, still shimmy in the steering wheel. I'm expecting 2 new Hankooks to replace the fronts tomorrow so I'll post the results to see if the shimmy is gone. Maybe I got a bad lot #. It's super frustrating driving my car with the steering wheel shaking, but Hankooks have always been a good tire for the $$ so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.....for now .
Is anyone else seeing a pattern here or is it just me?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006
Hmmm... my front Michelin Precedea and rear Michelin Pilot PS 2 are about done... and I was doing some research about the Hankook tires (because [1] apparently Michelin Australia don't stock Pilot PS 2 anymore in the 275/30 19 and 245/35 19 and [2] I can't afford PS 2 x 4) and Bridgestone Potenza RE001.

Now the tires here for Hankook and Bridgestone were $1,500.00 and $2,000.00 respectively. (Not only are cars expensive here in Australia but also tires it seems)

All the guys are saying that Bridgestone would be better choice...

Could all of you help me with this choice? Michelin tires are out of my range for now...

It's either Hankook K110 or Bridgestone Potenz RE001.

Just opinion about their performance and wear would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Well, I bought a new set V12's and it cost me more in time, money, and frustration than I even imagined. After replacing 9 bad, out of round tires that wouldn't hold balance at all, I decided to kick the Hankooks to the curb. Out of those two tires I would absolutely go with the Potenza's. I have Falken 452's on my stock rims and they are actually quite a good tire for the price- something to look at if they have them down in OZ
Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by w84me
Stopped by Discount Tire the other day to get air in my 2004 545i Sport Pak. Tread is getting low so I asked him about Hankooks. He was a kid mind you, he wasn't the sales guy, but he does puts them on all day long. He didn't recommend the Hankooks, he said Michelin Pilots and my Bridgestone Potenza run flat's were better. I asked him why and he said the sidewalls were stiffer.

What gives, I thought the overwhelming choice of tires around this board was Hankooks ?
never lison to a kid that dose not drive a e60.
Hankook V12 is what I would chose.
very good price and good performance
I will get a set from acuteperformance next time.
right now I have RE11 and love the tyres, the side wall is very stiff
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Discount is a joke!!!!

Quick Reply: Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire