E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hankook not recommended by guy at Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i 6spd & '01 X5 3.0i

Unfortunately, this sounds as though it's the Steering Angle Sensor gone totally bad. Location: aft of the steering wheel, an optical sensor that's very touching when the power source has been interrupted. Pricey as well but this can be done FIY or better yet take it back to the dealership.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525Xi black sapphire Metallic

I'm running with Hankooks definitely good tire for my wheels and im very happy with them
Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Show of hands - anyone, other than OP have a problem balancing their Hankooks? Any other issues?

Not to be unfair to you, but posting a thread knocking a perfectly good tire just because you had a bad set - hardly fair. Now, if many people have same problems, I will be inclined to agree with you.

PS If you're the only one with this issue, it is an issue with your installer - not tires. How much more were the Michelins? You think they make more profit on a more expensive set?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

i'm interested in aharper's manufacturer date on the tires. maybe he got an old set

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Agreed. Another thing to consider is aharpers location. Not familiar with Indianapolis weather, but a quick Google search says you guys have thunderstorms right now? Have you guys had a long, wet, or snowy winter? Based on climate, those summer tires may have come from a batch that was sitting in a warehouse or dealer location for quite sometime.

In comparison, we have very mild winter's here in Socal so we "consume" from a selection of summer tires (Hankooks, etc) that are depleted and replenished throughout the year here. I don't recall as many complaints coming from warmers locations, or that may just be coincidental?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

It's unfortunate that memeber 'aharper' had a bad experience with Hankook V12s. I'm running the exact same tires 285/30/19 & 245/35/19 and they have been great thus far.

It may have to do with the weather as 'redEYEjedi' ^ pointed out and also the manufacturer date as Michael'Acuteperformance' noted. I am also familiar with Indy weather as I've lived in Bloomington for 4 years - it rains quite a bit there.

Bottomline, I'm glad that member 'aharper' found a tire set that works for him.

I must say that I'm still fairly new to the forum(9 months) compared to the super veteran members here and it's pretty rare to read about bad experiences with V12s.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Contributors

Who're you callin' a souper vet there, noobie?

I honestly think in the end it will have absolutely nothing to do with anything other than incompetence on the part of the installer. You can say I'm losing my faith in humans, but I've realized in the past couple of years that overwhelming percentage of times, when there's an issue with something - anything - it is the fault of the people, not the product. These tires are not hand-made - if one person had a bad set, many people would have a bad set. If there's only one complaint, legitimately, there's reason to believe it is the fault of the installer. Of course, I can be very wrong - no doubt... but consider the chances

Either way, I think OP ended up with better tires - even if they are significantly more expensive. I would have gone for the PS2 or "PS3" tires already, if I were spending the Michelin-level bucks, but the all-seasons aren't bad either. I had those on my Audi - very quiet, compliant and comfy. Handled great too
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Members

I'm not saying Hankook is bad for everybody, but in my case there is no question. We're talking about 7 balancing jobs, twice back to back. I'm in the shop with these guys, it's def spinning with 0.00 and 0.00 on each side before they install to my car. The next day they come off the car and onto the machine and are again out of balance (weights in place). They spun the tire to match the location on the rim, etc. Then, I move to Michelin tires and the same place installs them and poof... perfectly smooth. And on top of it, we're talking about 2 different shops. Even if Discount Tire was purposefully doing it wrong to force me into an upgrade the other shop would have caught it. Anyhoo... rain at night here, chance all the time but the days have been decent.

Front tires had a manufacture date of 09/11. Rear tires had a manufacture date of 03/11. Avoid anything near that and I'm sure you are fine.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Contributors

09/11?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

heheh indeed

how to check tire age

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=11&