E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got new 530 yesterday - comments and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might put these in the "problem" thread.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributors

I solved the seat memory/steering wheel exit rise problem by finally employing the 'wife's' key and repeating memory setup on both keys. There was something special about the one key. Haven't checked effect on xenons.
Comment about xenons; I am tall and see a lot of ground just in front of the car where the highest low beam intensity exists. This high flux of light may be 'blinding' me a little and preventing me from seeing well in the distance in low beam. This might influence my observations re active headlights in earlier post.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

This is my second car with xenon's. They are supposed to be lower so not to blind oncoming traffic.

The I-Drive screen has a separate intensity control, separate from the dash control, in the I-drive menu.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributors

Just an update on issues brought up earlier.
Still no method to verify leveling of xenons. Manual says it is rapid. Just what should I expect?
Regarding effectiveness of active headlamps, as I said before, the lamps cast such a wide swath of light that it is not much more help (in my observations) to have steerable lamps. It is easy to check with the light switch. However, with more time driving at night, I have pinned down the cause for my comments: the degree of swivel to the right is reasonable but the degree of swivel to the left is much less. Left hand turns at residential speeds do not have enough swivel compared to right hand turns. Again, this is not in the manual and nobody talks about it in these forums. (Yes, I know it isn't supposed to swing left IF the car is stationary.)
The second point regarding less than expected xenon lamp effectiveness, which is partly my fault for being tall, stems from the beam pattern. It dumps a lot of light right in front of the car and it scatters back to my eyes more so than it could to a normal height person. The significant amount of light dumped to the front of the car bounces up over the hood to my eyes very easily as the hood doesn't block that light for my eyes. This reduces the dark adaption of my eyes and so the furthest points of the beam pattern are dimmer for me and lessen the distance in front that is clearly visible. I have begun to think of puttting a bit of tape in the lowest section of the low beam pattern to keep down the glare.